You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: body suit/pants  (Read 2987 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
body suit/pants
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
for females?  Do you think that they are considered in a negative light in freestyle competition for girls?  Any ideas for sources?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: body suit/pants
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
I know that there's an observant Muslim skater from Dubai(? I may have wrong country) who skates I think at the junior level internationally in trousers. There were no issues with that. So maybe there isn't a rule against it.

I know after Debbie Thomas that catsuits were banned for many years, but I swear I've seen them occasionally. Personally, I don't like super tight catsuits. They scream stripper bar.

The trouser suit though, such as the Muslim skater wore, was very nice. For someone who wants to be modest in a sport that 'barely acknowledges the existence of the word fabric' (Xanboni) I think it would look nice.

Me, I run conservative and old lady. Body suits-tacky. Pant suits-okay. Now I wish I knew the rules.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
LOL - not for modesty - but because one would look pretty cool for her music. 

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=16494576874&set=pb.16476611874.-2207520000.1349746578&type=1&theater

Yes, they are allowed now. The first person I thought of was Irina Slutskaya who wore some beautiful ones.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:44 PM »
Yes, they are allowed, but I was wondering if judges tend to dislike them enough where if there were two similar skaters that they would rank the more traditionally dressed higher.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
LOL - not for modesty - but because one would look pretty cool for her music. 

Should be OK as long as it is designed in good taste and fits the music.

A recent example that really caught my eyes was Aliona Savchenko

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
Carolina Kostner just won world's in a bodysuit.   She has worn several previously.

Wear the costume that fits the music.  Body suits are FINE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/lakersgirl712/Carolina_Kostner.jpg

The only negative to a body suit is you need to be in shape as a competitive skater.  They look really bad on recreational skaters who may not be in perfect shape for a unitard.  They don't hide anything, a skirted dress you can get away with a bit more.   But if your skater can look good in one (I recommend body tights so there is no ring around the waist) wear one for sure!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
Yeah, she is rock solid muscle.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Kostner and Slutskaya were competing at the international level; there was some - negative - commentary for both skaters.  Will a judge deliberately "mark down" a skater for wearing a bodysuit? No, there is no category for "costume".  But, if you run into traditional judges - it will not be something that they will perhaps find visually appealing - which could colour a perception unwittingly.  Consider the norm in your area: is traditional garb what is - well - the norm?

Also, I have found that bodysuits are harder to find "well-made" than freeskate dresses, as the cut and fit are critical ... and not something that is commonly used.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
The construction comment is a good one, and something to consider- although they are pretty readily available through dance supply.

I do think we prescribe way too much personal opinion to judging.  I think most judges are 'professional' (not in that they get paid) in how they approach judging.  It is just really easy to say you didn't get the desired result due to a costume, music, blade color, too much make up etc.  I honestly don't think many judges care all that much about any of those things.  They are there to watch the skating, and they do that.  The problem is personal opinion in the skating- at the non-IJS levels, does the judge prefer a fast, backspin on the wrong edge, or slow controlled one on the right edge?  That is when it becomes tough to rank skaters and the judges have to decide what they value.  But I just cannot imagine any of the judges I've talked to justifying their decision by saying "the skaters were basically equal, but I liked the dress better".  They are going to find something about the skating that differentiates the two.  No skaters are ever exactly equal.