You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Shoe Suggestion  (Read 879 times)

Offline Jarrett

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Skating Shoe Suggestion
« on: May 05, 2022, 01:14:32 AM »
Hi All,
I'm planning to buy a new skating shoe for figure skating. I thought of buying a new one rather than the used second quality one, as the blade may get damaged or lose the sharpness quickly for a used one. On a random search, I found that Edea is the top brand for skating shoes, and I loved the design of Edea Overture as it is lightweight and has installed a top brand blade such as John Wilson. What do you guys think about purchasing  Edea, or can you suggest any other well-known brand shoe for skating.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Skating Shoe Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 03:13:30 AM »
This question has been asked quite a bit on these threads. Grab a drink, some note paper, and search on "skate advice" "new skates" "New boot advice" etc.

In sum, the best boot for you depends on a few factors- the shape of your foot, your weight, skating level, and skating style.  Best to go to your local skate shop, discuss with a skate fitter and actually try on different brands of boots.  I wear Jacksons- my feet tell me that Edeas are too wide in the heel, Ridells and Risports are too narrow across the front, and Graf are just completely the wrong shape. All of these companies make great boots.  The only real way to differentiate is for you to go to a fitter and try them on, even if you have to drive a ways.  I have to drive 5 hours to my closest one or 10h to the better one.  I time my skate purchases for trips stateside and the best fitter- it's worth it.

In terms of buying used, there's nothing wrong with it. The skates may already be formed to the previous skaters foot.  But they can be re-heat molded (depending on model).  I wouldn't worry too much about blade damage- if it's a skater sending them too you, the blades will be properly protected.  You can easily ask the seller how they've protected the blades, request photos, and steer clear of anyone who sounds suspect.  Plus you'll want to re-sharpen them anyway to make sure you have the grind (ROH) you want.

Good luck!

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 02:09:20 PM »
Jarrett--I agree with Loops, there are so many factors that go into the choice of what boot is the best boot for you at this time.

What is your skating level and what are your goals?  Are you an aggressive skater or more methodical?  Did you learn as a child or as an adult? All of this helps guide the selection.

As far as used equipment goes, used boots can often work really well.  Used blades are more of a gamble because you don't know how worn down they are and what kind of sharpening they have had.  If you are considering buying used skates, get detailed photos of the blades or just assume that you will probably want to replace the blades.  Do you have a skate tech that can help you with this kind of thing?

Good luck!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:33:46 PM »
Hi All,
I'm planning to buy a new skating shoe for figure skating. I thought of buying a new one rather than the used second quality one, as the blade may get damaged or lose the sharpness quickly for a used one. On a random search, I found that Edea is the top brand for skating shoes, and I loved the design of Edea Overture as it is lightweight and has installed a top brand blade such as John Wilson. What do you guys think about purchasing  Edea, or can you suggest any other well-known brand shoe for skating.
Edeas are a dime a dozen.

Go to any Pro Shop and they are likely to have a pair to try on.

If you are male and they only have white boots, try on C width.  I believe the black boots are C Width stock.

I also would start with Edea Chorus if you are an adult.  You cannot over boot in Edeas, so it's better to go up a rating than start with a boot too light, which may not be enough for your height/weight/power.  They say you cannot over boot, but they do not say you cannot under boot.  Many of their lower level boots, indeed - everything up to Concerto, still use leather uppers.  So, they can break down prematurely (and quickly) if the boot is too light.

Edeas are not known for their longevity, from what I've been told by several people who wear them.

Lastly, for adults, height and weight dictate that you cannot use scales for stiffness recommendations written with younger skaters in mind for determining what stiffness to start with.  It has to be about your height and weight, not whether or not you're doing single or double jumps.  Depending on you height and weight, you may require far more support than a 13 year old doing triples would.

Lastly, for people who have "problem feet," you can use Yellow Superfeet.  Or, you can possible use the Jackson Supreme Insoles.  Most boots that I've used Superfeet in were ruined by the superfeet, due to the hard plastic hammering the heel on landings and causing them to become unlevel - this actually caused the blade place on an Eclipse Infinity Blade to start warping on one pair of boots.

For blades.  You can start with an MK Professional or Coronation Ace.  If you want an 8' Rocker, then you can start with the Ultima Legacy. It's a comparable blade in the same price bracker, with an 8' rocker.  I know many people swear by starting beginners off on a 7' blade, but the stability of an 8' rocker is better for beginners IMVHO.