You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade Profiles?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
Blade Profiles?
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
I'm looking at a Blade Upgrade soon, so I'm shopping around.

I'm currently on the Jackson Aspire blade with a crosscut pick. I love it, and only wanting to replace it because it's wearing out.

Looking at the Protégé blade, as that seems to be the bigger brother of the Aspire. When I compare the two, the Protégé has a deeper ROH, which I understand and like (I'm skidding a bit on crossrolls and deep edges even after a good sharpening), but it has an "Intermediate" profile versus the Aspire's "All Purpose" Profile. I have no clue what the Profile means.

Does anyone know what this term is?

I'm looking to test Pre-Bronze soon, starting to jump in earnest and my spins are improving fast. A good all-around freestyle blade I can hold onto for another two years is the goal here!

Thanks!!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Blade Profiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
ROH can be changed - I wouldn't let that concern you at all.  If you want a deeper ROH than you currently have, or even a shallower ROH, just mention it to your sharpener, and they can help you out there :)

As far as profiles - a recreational blade (and when I think of a true recreational blade, I think of something lower level than the aspire - the aspire is fine for beginning freeskating) is going to be a little flatter through the spin rocker, but when you get into higher level freestyle blades, the spin rocker has more of a pronounced curve.  An intermediate profile on a blade is just what it sounds like - it's kind of a happy medium between the two, curved enough to be useful for spins and turns, but not like what you'd find on something like a gold seal.

If you have been happy with the aspire XP, I think the protegé could be a good fit for you, but you could also consider the Legacy without concern that you're moving up to "too much" blade - it is completely your choice.