You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Waxing Boots  (Read 1067 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
Waxing Boots
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
OK so many of us here are fans of using wax to waterproof skates (and a few other personal items like tramping boots as well). I use Nikwax which is a natural alternative to Snoseal.

My question then becomes has anyone successfully REMOVED one of these products?

The problem has come about because I have 2 tins of wax, the slightly older tin has separated a little and I gave it to Kiwiskater #2 to put on his new boots - figured it would be OK. But after application it has remained sticky, wiping the boot down with a clean cloth & applying wax from the new tin has decreased the stickiness but it hasn't dried fully like normal.

So I was wondering so that I can reapply the wax and get it to dry like normal, should I try to remove it with some conventional product like a leather cleaning product?? I'm not sure the differences between sturdy tramping boots or certainly hideously more expensive skates (especially brand new ones)!!!

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Waxing Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
Don't know, but I'd call a cobbler shop in your area, perhaps they may have ideas on this...

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Instructions for sno seal say to heat with a dryer and the excess will run off.  Maybe that would work?  But first I'd call the wax company or email them and ask what they suggest.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
You can heat it with a hairdryer and just wipe off the excess with a rag or paper towels.  Heating it will also allow it to draw into the leather more as well.