You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Crooked blade? More skate problems...  (Read 4596 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Crooked blade? More skate problems...
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
During my skate practice the other day I was noticing it was becoming extremely difficult to go to a backwards outside edge on my left skate. Also recently, I've noticed that while spinning, I felt like I was falling to my inside edges on my left skate (my spinning foot) and was travelling a bit. I confronted my coach, and she said it might be my skates. After looking at my blades pretty thoroughly, I noticed the left blade didn't seem even with the right one, and I just wanted a second opinion.
The skates are Jackson Artistes and the blades came mounted on the skate.

Thanks!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Crooked blade? More skate problems...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
It does look like the left blade is set more to the inside, but I don't know if that's causing your problem.  You said it just started -those blades are in the original mounted position.  They didn't move, so why would it suddenly be an issue? 

Does your boot lean one way or another?  You might have broken it in oddly because of the blade.

There might not be much the pro shop can do about it.  Some shops are willing to adjust blades on PVC-bottomed skates, but not all of them.  You have to ask your shop.  The manufacturer put a screw in every hole on the blade plate.

Best thing to do is have a pro look at them and see if they can make an adjustment or if Jackson has to replace the skates, which means another break-in period.  Are they still within the warranty period?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
Yes they are still within warrant, however I might just upgrade to Jackson Competitor skates which is what my coach is suggesting.
I think I did break in the boot oddly, because I'm just now also noticing that the amount of support isn't as great as what it was when they were brand new.
Another side question, I plan on ordering my new skates online...I am a 5B in Jackson Artiste, does that mean that I will be a 5B in other Jackson boots? There is no pro shop in my area that sells figure skates. I got these skates fitted at a pro shop 200 miles away LOL.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
That's a huge jump from Artiste to Competitors.  I have a pair of Comp's and they'lre really stiff.  You'd be better off with FREESTYLES.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
sorry didn't mean to yell.  Using the phone.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
Freestyle!! That's the one I'm interested, not competitors! Sorry I get the two confused haha!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
Freestyles are good.

Anyways, yes, the blades look like maybe they are mounted incorrectly. Very common with factory mounts.  If you can find a really really good skate mounter, they can can remount them, even on a PVC boot.  Had it done more than a few times; they take off the blade, shave down the heel, whatever, and then remount the blades.  If it's way off, then, yes, it should be covered by warranty.  

Now, if this is a new problem, i.e. you were okay with the mount before ... you might also check your sharpening ... sounds like a problem with the inside edge on that skate, which might be corrected if you have them reground. Just a thought before you spend money; when you do take them in to be sharpened, ask for an opinion on the mounting at the same time.

We learned the hard way to carefully check factory mounts, even if it means asking to see several pairs where possible.  A good fitter will check the blade mount, and if they don't, don't hesitate to ask.

Ordering online ... you can't get them heatmoulded, which you really need to do with Jacksons, and if you do it yourself - I believe you void the warranty, but I may be wrong (haven't bought Jacksons in years). Unless you got someone local who can heatmould them, then, I'd travel to get them fitted.  As you've discovered, "bad boots" really cost you in lesson $$$$ as you don't progress properly.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
THanks so much for the input Sk8tMum :)

Tuesday I will be seeing my coach again and I am going to sit down with her and discuss it with her to see what will be best for me.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm puzzled that the problem is new too. You used to be able to hit those edges?

Are all the screws tight? That could cause the problem!

The only other issues that could make such a problem new, are that

(1) the blade has shifted - but you have screws in the countersunk holes, so if the screws are tight, that doesn't apply.

(2) The boot has warped. Sometimes skating on a blade mounted in a way that creates assymetric pressure on the boot does this. Also, did you recently insert something inside the boot, like a new insole?

(3) Something has changed with your foot. Assuming you aren't still growing, that could easily be a medical issue, something causing swelling, a bunion, etc., that might need to be dealt with, so it doesn't get worse.

Pro shops often offset your blades on purpose, to help you balance. But if this is the original factory mount...

Everyone here knows that I believe that most people can do their own mods of this sort. (See my boot link below) Though I think it is often easier to mess around with tape under the insole than to move the blade. E.g., if there is less pressure on the outside part of the sole of your boot (making it hard to push the boot that way), apply tape under that part of the insole. Be sure to remember that left and right may reverse when you flip the insole upside down. 

But many medical problems are hard to self-diagnose. Maybe the first order of business should be figuring out why something has changed.

-- Just my humble opinion.

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
I'm puzzled that the problem is new too. You used to be able to hit those edges?

Are all the screws tight? That could cause the problem!

The only other issues that could make such a problem new, are that

(1) the blade has shifted - but you have screws in the countersunk holes, so if the screws are tight, that doesn't apply.

(2) The boot has warped. Sometimes skating on a blade mounted in a way that creates assymetric pressure on the boot does this. Also, did you recently insert something inside the boot, like a new insole?

(3) Something has changed with your foot. Assuming you aren't still growing, that could easily be a medical issue, something causing swelling, a bunion, etc., that might need to be dealt with, so it doesn't get worse.

Pro shops often offset your blades on purpose, to help you balance. But if this is the original factory mount...

Everyone here knows that I believe that most people can do their own mods of this sort. (See my boot link below) Though I think it is often easier to mess around with tape under the insole than to move the blade. E.g., if there is less pressure on the outside part of the sole of your boot (making it hard to push the boot that way), apply tape under that part of the insole. Be sure to remember that left and right may reverse when you flip the insole upside down. 

But many medical problems are hard to self-diagnose. Maybe the first order of business should be figuring out why something has changed.

-- Just my humble opinion.

It;s funny you mention medical problems....the foot I am spinning on is the foot I have had foot surgery on, for a bunion. And lately it has been very achey, I wonder if that could be related at all?

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
Oh, Great Healer Lady of Avalon, heal thyself!

If fixing the boot fit to match your altered foot doesn't solve the problem, or the fix is as ephemeral as the reign of your fabled brother, can you consult a sister healer familiar with your history?