You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New boots with MUCH shorter blades!  (Read 5865 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Making a comeback
New boots with MUCH shorter blades!
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
So I am switching from my too big Riedells (which take larger blades for a comparable size due to the design of the sole/heel) to Risport dance boots, but I will be going down one whole inch in blades - from 10 3/4" to 9 3/4"!  Yikes!  I am in love with the boots because they fit my feet perfectly, but I am super concerned about getting blades that are THAT much shorter.

Has anyone gotten new boots and needed shorter blades?  How did the transition go?  Part of me thinks that it shouldn't feel too different because the boot is smaller and proportionately the blades will fit the same, if I get the same blades...  I have Super Dance 99, which I love but did take some getting used to (where is my toe pick?  AAAAHHHH!) and they are short blades to begin with.  Oh dear.

I'm getting nervous and considering other dance blades that aren't quite so short in the back, like the Ultima Dance blade with the same rocker, or even the Finesse synchro blade.  But then I think I should stick to what I know.

If anyone has any experience to share I'd love to hear how the transition went for you.  Thanks! 

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Re: New boots with MUCH shorter blades!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
Me! I went from a 10" blade to 9.25" and am still adjusting. It definitely felt weird at first and my balance was off. Spins were difficult because my spin rocker was in a different spot but overall I am liking the change. My feet feel lighter and quicker so I am skating faster.

I got new boots and blades because after 9 years, I finally realized (!) that my equipment was too big. I have no idea how I got this far with ill-fitting equipment.

Just take it easy the first few weeks. Three turns might be challenging so just be careful.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
I went from 11.75 to 11 with no issues. I think you will like proper-fitting blades much more!

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
May I ask you both if you got the same model blade, or a different model?  If the Super Dance weren't so expensive I wouldn't be considering anything else, but when you can pick up Ultima Synchro blades for $119...

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
I have heard of several people lately who have gotten a shorter blade - maybe there is something about the way the boots are fitting these days or... what boot are you going in to again?

I will be curious to know if you do another SuperDance 99 or switch to that Synchro blade - I am in a SuperDance and wonder a LOT whether I would like the Synchro better...

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »
May I ask you both if you got the same model blade, or a different model?  If the Super Dance weren't so expensive I wouldn't be considering anything else, but when you can pick up Ultima Synchro blades for $119...

I went from Gold Stars to Gold Seals...both expensive. Personally i would stay away from Ultima but some peole like them and they are cheaper. Good boots are more important than good blades!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »
I have heard of several people lately who have gotten a shorter blade - maybe there is something about the way the boots are fitting these days or... what boot are you going in to again?

My first boots were Grafs and it was torturous to my feet after a lot of skating. I then moved to custom Klingbeils.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »

I will be curious to know if you do another SuperDance 99 or switch to that Synchro blade - I am in a SuperDance and wonder a LOT whether I would like the Synchro better...

I think it has something to do with heel height.  Don't Riedell's have lower heels than Edea and Jackson? I keep meaning to schlepp my old Riedells (10 1/3" blade) to the rink to compare heel height with my Risport dance (10" blade), and some friend's Jackson's.

I've never used dance blades of any sort.  I come from a freestyle background, and am currently on the Vision Synchro.  Overall I like it, but it is short.  In comparing how far the tail extends past the back of the boot, it's shorter than the Finesse and shorter than the MK dance.  I'm pretty sure it's shorter than the CorDance, too.  Also, it does have freestyle height stanchions, and I boot out A LOT.  Just something to think about if you're considering Synchro blades.  Not sure if they put higher stanchions on other models or not. 

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
Do dance blades typically have taller stanchions than freestyle?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
I think it has something to do with heel height.  Don't Riedell's have lower heels than Edea and Jackson? I keep meaning to schlepp my old Riedells (10 1/3" blade) to the rink to compare heel height with my Risport dance (10" blade), and some friend's Jackson's.

I've never used dance blades of any sort.  I come from a freestyle background, and am currently on the Vision Synchro.  Overall I like it, but it is short.  In comparing how far the tail extends past the back of the boot, it's shorter than the Finesse and shorter than the MK dance.  I'm pretty sure it's shorter than the CorDance, too.  Also, it does have freestyle height stanchions, and I boot out A LOT.  Just something to think about if you're considering Synchro blades.  Not sure if they put higher stanchions on other models or not.

What do you mean by "boot out"?

Most dance blades have the same stanchion height as a freestyle blade - there is a new one out - by Skate Science? That has a higher stanchion - for more lean I guess.

The SuperDance99 is like a Pattern 99 in that it has a lower (very slightly) stanchion - you are just a little bit closer to the ice (which I like) -

But it is interesting about the dance blades - I had two pairs of MK dance - one pair was 1/4 inch shorter than the other pair and the SuperDance99 are just a little shorter than either of those.

Interesting about the Vision Synchro.  I know a roller-skater who LOVES hers but she is not used to having any kind of tail at all!!

I have a friend who is trying the Reidell Dance blade - hasn't skated in them yet - but may today - she likes the MK Dance but liked the price of the Reidell (knock-off?) better... we shall see!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
What do you mean by "boot out"?

I presume they're referring to when you go too deep on an edge and end up hitting the side of your boot's sole on the ice.  Happens to me a fair bit too.

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

I got the Risport Dance boot.  The heel is definitely shaped differently than my Riedells - the heel of the boot curves under more before the sole/heel begins, and then the heel is angled every so slightly forward, whereas on the Riedells the sole/heel begins when the boot heel is at its farthest back, and then the sole/heel is angled slightly back.  Does that make sense?  Hence, Riedells taking longer blades due to their sole and heel shape.

Frankly, I've always thought my Riedells were UGLY.  They are just too wide and clunky for my feet.  I feel like I have big white marshmallow moon boots on when I look at them on my feet.  On other people they look fine...   :P   

I think I'm going to stick with the Super Dance 99s, I'm just afraid of changing yet another variable (different boots, smaller boots, shorter blades - seems like enough adjustment).  Why do you wonder if you'd prefer the synchro blades?  Do you not like the Super Dance blades?  I personally miss having a bigger toe pick.  I never minded the shorter heel.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »

I think I'm going to stick with the Super Dance 99s, I'm just afraid of changing yet another variable (different boots, smaller boots, shorter blades - seems like enough adjustment).  Why do you wonder if you'd prefer the synchro blades?  Do you not like the Super Dance blades?  I personally miss having a bigger toe pick.  I never minded the shorter heel.

I got the SuperDance 99 with a pair of SP Teri Dance Boots in 2005 and have NEVER been comfortable on them.  I switched to MK Dance - a couple of pairs actually - until the rockers were completely flat (well, not completely, but still) and then put the SuperDance Back on - I just can't quite get used to them... my boots have a split length (one slightly longer than the other) and on that longer foot I just don't feel like I have enough blade under me (so maybe I should have gotten two blade lengths as well?).

I also think it might be the boots - they are just too.... weird - heat-molded - never really feel like they are right - they don't hurt but they don't bend either...

So I keep thinking I would like to try another blade... or maybe just chuck these boots and start over...

Anyway, my friend tried the new Riedell Eclipse Dance blade today and she loves them!  About $200 cheaper than the MKs and she feel like she's "at home" with them.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »
I've just changed to a blade which is 1/2" shorter, and from Jackson to half size smaller Edea boots. The new blade seems to be quite curved (a number of people have commented on it) and I did feel a bit unstable, especially going backwards, for the first few sessions. Several people have suggested I feel more unstable because I'm taller but I'm not sure how much impact it would have on a slightly shorter blade.

I'm in the process of relearning everything and some things are taking more time than others. It probably will feel different - just give yourself time to get used to it.

Regarding choice of blade, if you are happy with your current blade there's no reason to change. It's like boots - some blades suit some people, some suit others......

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 12:58:51 AM »
I presume they're referring to when you go too deep on an edge and end up hitting the side of your boot's sole on the ice.  Happens to me a fair bit too.

Icedancer- Casey above is right! I've always booted out, but in this new boot combination (the Risports are low, and for me, on the soft side) it seems worse than before. Hence my musing about stanchion height....

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 08:58:02 AM »
Icedancer- Casey above is right! I've always booted out, but in this new boot combination (the Risports are low, and for me, on the soft side) it seems worse than before. Hence my musing about stanchion height....

It's funny, I've NEVER booted out, not on my Pattern 99s nor in these SuperDance either.  I was wondering about the low stanchion height too, but maybe it just works for me.  I can see how others would not like it.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 12:12:51 PM »
It's funny, I've NEVER booted out, not on my Pattern 99s nor in these SuperDance either.  I was wondering about the low stanchion height too, but maybe it just works for me.  I can see how others would not like it.

It depends entirely on personal skating style.  I love deep edges though!

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I finally got out on the ice with my new skates.  The Risport dance boot are STIFF.  Wow.  I don't know how they come up with those "stiffness ratings" numbers, because these are much stiffer than the Riedells I was wearing and the number isn't as high. That said, I like low boots and I can bend forward so I think it will be fine.  They just aren't as "cushy" inside as the Riedells.  I do like the swirly pattern on the side though.   ;D

As for the blades, I really didn't know what to do.  I wasn't in love with the SuperDance 99s, on which I always seemed to want to do a face plant going backwards, and I went back and forth between sticking with an 8 foot rocker and going with a 7, sticking with slimline vs regular...  In the end my desire for some toe picks won out and I ended up with Coronation Dance blades, 9 3/4 inches (vs 10 3/4 on my old skates).  Here is the best part - they are great!  I can honestly say I did not notice a rocker difference, nor do I notice the shortness.  I'd like to think I was just never meant for an 8 foot rocker, or else these just have a rocker profile that puts my weight where I want to put it naturally and doesn't force me to change.  I also think the too-big boots were making my feet sit funny over the other blades, and the ball of my foot and heel were not in the right spot, making my off balance.

What I DO notice is that the run of the blade isn't *quite* as nice as the SuperDance, which I'm attributing to the slimline blade.  Those blades felt really fast and smooth and these feel just not quite the same.  The boots felt stiff though so I'm sure that didn't help with my knees and power.  Going from a slimline 8 foot rocker (that was an inch longer!) to a regular width 7 foot rocker would also likely make me feel a little less fast too.

I wonder why more synchro skaters don't try the Coronation Dance?  The picks are the same as Coronation Ace (as far as I know, and they certainly look like regular picks), and they have the shorter tail.  The price isn't outrageous either.  I did some waltz jumps no problem, which I NEVER would have attempted in the dance blades.     

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks for the report!!!

I may consider that blade - now I am thinking that my boots are too big and yeah, never feel quite comfortable in the SuperDance99 although for me the problem is more going forward than backwards, LOL

And yeah, those slimlines are smooth and I worry about going back to a regular width... arrrgghh

I will be curious to know how it goes going forward from here once you break those boots in more!

Offline Loops

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
That's funny that you say the risports are stiff. I'm curious how that assessment evolves as you break them in. I have them too, and I don't think they're that stiff at all! BUT I 've also been wondering if maybe that sensation is the effect of the low sides [shrug]... I know after a year of moderate skating (2hours synchro, 1 hour dance/week ) I have pretty deep creases in them. I do love the low back through, and the swirly pattern!!  So pretty.....

Also, what you say is true about synchro and the CorDance. Several people at my rink have them. They are a good choice.

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
That's funny that you say the risports are stiff. I'm curious how that assessment evolves as you break them in. I have them too, and I don't think they're that stiff at all! BUT I 've also been wondering if maybe that sensation is the effect of the low sides [shrug]... I know after a year of moderate skating (2hours synchro, 1 hour dance/week ) I have pretty deep creases in them. I do love the low back through, and the swirly pattern!!  So pretty.....

Also, what you say is true about synchro and the CorDance. Several people at my rink have them. They are a good choice.

Well, after skating on them twice now, I will agree that they are low cut.  I wasn't sure how to break them in because they are too low to leave the top hook undone (IMO) but they were hurting the front of my legs when bending (even with the Bunga sleeves).  However, by the end of the last hour I felt like they were allowing me to bend more without hurting, and I actually had to stop and tighten them at the top because of that.  They're feeling pretty good now.  I can imagine that if you're not used to a lower cut boot they might feel a little disconcerting.  (I always had lower cut dance boots, even doing double jumps with Pattern 99s on them.  I just like it.  Strong ankles from being a ballerina in my former life I guess.) 

I really like the blades a lot, although I think it's mostly the rocker/spin rocker that I'm comfortable with.  They do NOT glide like the SuperDance 99s.  Sigh.  Can't have it all I guess.