You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISU presidential election  (Read 2484 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
ISU presidential election
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
Didier Gailhaguet is running for ISU president despite the fact he was at one time banned from ISU events and from being on the ISU council.

https://www.didier2016.org/en/

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: ISU presidential election
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
I don't know about these things. Why was he banned? Was the ban permanent? what bit of the linked article I read indicates he realizes he made some mistakes. Is it a good thing or bad thing that he wants to be president of the ISU in your opinion?

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »
Who else is running?  Hopefully someone with a love of figure skating will be returned to the helm.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
I don't know about these things. Why was he banned? Was the ban permanent? what bit of the linked article I read indicates he realizes he made some mistakes. Is it a good thing or bad thing that he wants to be president of the ISU in your opinion?

My understanding is Didier was banned for 3-ish years for his part of the judging scandal at the 2002 Olympics. He was the French federation president at the time, and was specifically accused by the French judge as being the one who pressured her to judge the way she did. the judge later recanted, but a number of witnesses from other countries testified to the exchange and that he was, in fact, at fault.

Although it was temporary, the whole incident questioned the ethics of all involved, and I'm not sure there was ever a sufficient resolution to the question of whether the ethics of those people (especially ones trying to run the entire ISU) were so compromised they could no longer be trusted or if it was simething that could be rehabilitated.

However, it is very interesting that France lowered the ransom on Massot right after Didier announced his campaign.