You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Harlick's laces  (Read 1079 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Harlick's laces
« on: October 22, 2023, 11:46:29 PM »
Anyone know where to buy Harlick's laces? I think they're a mix of cotton and nylon. 

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Harlick's laces
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 05:16:35 AM »
I don't have an answer to your question.  Nothing popped up on Google, and the Harlick website doesn't list them anymore; I assume you already did all that; so the next step would be to contact Harlick directly.

But here's an alternative.  Several years ago, i ran field trials for new laces.  Harlick boots tend to have narrower holes than most other boots.  Several skaters in the trials wore Harlick boots, and this lace worked out well:

https://derbylaces.com/product-category/derby-laces/waxed-edge-laces-4-5mm/.

The material is waxed polyester; the construction is different from that of many other laces.  They stay tied, are water resistant, are durable, and don't cut into your fingers.

Online AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 06:09:11 AM »
I’d email them.  I’m sure they’ll sell you a pair. 

I can’t get used to their laces and switch them immediately though.  I like Jerry’s.  The thin Harlick kind are so weird to me.  Heck, I’d send you mine if I was home to do that.  :D

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 07:54:45 AM »
I’d email them.  I’m sure they’ll sell you a pair. 

I can’t get used to their laces and switch them immediately though.  I like Jerry’s.  The thin Harlick kind are so weird to me.  Heck, I’d send you mine if I was home to do that.  :D
I don't know what Harlick's current procedure is. But as of 2020, they supplied special "break-in" laces with their boots.  These were narrow nylon laces that readily cut into skaters' fingers (my friends with Harlicks constantly griped about them).  After the break-in period, they were supposed to switch to regular laces, wider and made from different materials.  The problem was, even though the boots cost >$1000, they did not come with the regular laces, only the break-in laces.  But skaters often didn't know they were supposed to change out their laces (or simply forgot to), or had problems finding the regular laces; so they continued to suffer with the laces they had.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
Thanks for all the tips about Harlick laces. I'll try them all (PS the 'starting laces' are new to me. I just used some tricks to tighten the laces initially, now I'm used to them.)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
I just email Harlick when I need new laces.  I usually order several sets at a time to make it worth paying for the shipping.  When I was working on free dance for testing, I would order sets for myself and my partner because I assumed that generally I was the one that cut through his laces...

I've worn Harlicks since 2011 and have never heard the slimmer laces referred to as "break-in" laces.  I have used them for years, and I observe the same with other skaters wearing Harlicks.  Once you figure out how to use them without hurting your hands, they are fine, and I like how smooth they areand how they pull through multiple holes easily. That being said, when I switched to tan boots, the laces they supply for tan boots are a bit thicker, and I also like those. 

I love the color options on the Derby Laces, but I just can't stand the feel of the waxed laces.  It's just a tactile preference.  It would be fun to try some different colors, but not with the wax.  I have to sort out the laces on skates when I sharpen them (so they don't get caught in the rollers, and also to alert the skaters to when they need new laces) so I've had enough experience with them to know that they are not for me. 

I feel like I'm a broken record with the skaters I sharpen for--always telling them they should get new laces.  At least once a year, whether they look like they need it or not, and preferably more often than that if they skate frequently.  The laces are part of the system and the system works better when the laces still have some elasticity in them.  Unless you are doing pairs or partnered dance, your laces may look fine even when changing them would improve the feel of your boots.  Dance and pairs--laces often have a shorter life.  Just part of the cost of doing business, and well worth it as far as I'm concerned.