You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Holy Cow my skates stink. Help please!!!!  (Read 12221 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Holy Cow my skates stink. Help please!!!!
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
Ok so season ended yesterday, which means locker is cleaned out and skates are now living at home. 

I have Risport Dance.  I don't know how they treat their leather, but these things smelled weird out of the box.  Not like now though. I do not skate barefoot, but I do wear only nylons so maybe it's not that much different.  Can't get anything thicker than tights in there.

I can't get stink-eeze or anything like them easily, so over the course of the year, I've tried filling stockings with Activated Charcoal, silica gel and baking soda (not all at once-  the AC and Baking Soda together, and more recently the silica gel).  Nothing seems to help.  They are stored open in a reasonably well ventilated locker.

I have taken out the insoles and lysol-ed them, along with the inside of the boots.  They're airing out now, but it doesn't seem to have helped much.  Stink overpowers the lysol.  This is gross.

For the record none of my 80's era Riedells EVER stank like this, so I don't know how much of a role the weird leather is playing here (or not).

Has anyone found a good solution to this?  Are commercial stink-eeze magic and worth importing, understanding that shipping will least double the cost and customs could potentially triple it.  It's going to be an even longer 2.5 months off if I have to share my house with these gnarly beasts.....

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Holy Cow my skates stink. Help please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
Stinkeez will just make them smell differently worse. I've tried.

Let them dry out for a few days, and put them so that a small fan blows into them. Air circulation can help.

I wouldn't have lysoled, but you've committed it, so you're stuck with the smell unless the air circulation gets rid of it.

You can also try Pingi dehumidifies, just put a small bag in each one.

My thought is that you need to really let these things dry out. Leave the insoles out.

Note, this may take days.

Next year take out the insoles every day and don't leave the skates in the locker. Smells like you describe don't happen overnight.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks AgnesNitt, Yeah, this started last year, not long after I got the boots, but they always smelled funny so I wrote it off for a while.  This year it started getting weird, so I tried the DIY stink-eeze early on....October maybe.  Mistake No 1, you think?  Neither version ever really helped much.  Unknowable as to whether they actually augmented the funk......

How are Pingi dehumidifiers different from socks full of Si gel?  The socks I made don't fill the whole boot, just kind of lay on the footbed, and the blue crystals are still blue so they're still active.

I'll take your suggestion of airing them out a few days, as long as possible, really....if I can find a fan, I'll do that too.  We don't really need A/C here, so aren't well equipped on that front.

I was already wondering if I should get those insoles out more frequently.  I don't take them out because they're a pain to extract, they fit in there so snugly and my short fingernails just can't get a grip on them.......Not a good enough excuse though.  But really, the insole is just a tiny part of the problem.....

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »
The Pingis and Stinkeze both contain silica, so other than convenience I can't see there would be any advantage over home made silica gel socks. I agree you need to get them as dry as possible inside eg with a fan. If the smell persists you could try swabbing them lightly with alcohol or Fabreze (supermarket own brands are much cheaper). Not ideal, and possibly not great for the leather inside the skate, but possibly not as potentially damaging as lysol. I have found Fabreze type products very good at removing odour

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
I would think Silica gel would only work if the boot was taped off at the top, because otherwise the Silica would rapidly absorb water from the air, and become ineffective. But for the most part, you want the boots in a well ventilated place, not covered up at all, so the air can flow freely around them.

This is overpriced, but the lower temperature ski boot dryers, e.g., orange DryGuy brand dryers,

http://www.evo.com/boot-dryers/dryguy-dg12-ac/dc-glove-dryer-10.aspx#utm_campaign=child_EB-32687-1001_odd&utm_source=wlive&utm_medium=shoppingengine

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdryguy+boot+dryer.TRS0&_nkw=dryguy+boot+dryer&_sacat=0

might help, if the air in your home is humid. (They also have cheaper models that only do AC or DC.) But some of the high temperature ski boot dryers might reshape your boot, and force you to heat mold them again. (BTW, I think some hockey boot de-oderizers do bake the boots, so if all else fails...) The orange DryGuy brand dryers are regulated to 99 degrees, if I recall right - essentially body temperature, so it is safe. Plus, tghey can help warm your boots before use, which is comfortable if your feet get cold, and helps them fit better.

Or maybe you could just use a hand-held hair dryer (or a rest-room hand-dryer) for 10 or 15 minutes - though if the boots gets too hot, you would need to re-heat mold.

I've used a dollar store generic instead of Febreze. Good enough for me. But my sense of smell isn't as good as some's, so if you are unusually sensitive, I don't really know what will work.

I wonder if a leather cleaner/conditioner (e.g., Lexol leather conditioner) would help. If you wipe it out, it might get rid of the Lysol chemicals, which might be corrosive.

BTW, if mold is growing on your boots, it reduces the lifetime, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
I like a mix of cheap vodka with a few drops of tea tree oil.  Spritz the insides, and stuff with clean newsprint or paper towels.  Admittedly, when I bought the $7 bottle of vodka, I wanted to tell cashier that I was using it for cleaning, not drinking!

Offline Loops

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
No mold!!!! Thank goodness.

For the record, it wasn't actually Lysol, but an environmentally friendly French equivalent.  It's effective on the small things and, smells pretty good. Dunno if it's up to this though.....

Freeze (equivalent) and a vodka spritz are going on the "to try" list. Awesome ideas- thanks!

Keep them coming please!!!!!

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:04:04 PM »
How about sunlight?
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/?topic=42169.0

It would help with protecting against mould, you might have invisible spores, waiting to bloom.
According to this, they would need to be free of dirt & skin debris. You could vacuum the insides & then expose as much of the inside as possible, while protecting the outer leather. If you're going to do it, I would do it before adding more chemicals.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
My risport's smelled AWFUL.  I've never had that problem before.  Someone told me that since the leather is soft and a better quality, it just takes in sweat and smells.  Which isn't very helpful :( What I would recommend is just keeping them aired out.  I try to leave my bag opened at the very least and I also try to take them out of the bag at home.  My Jackson's smell much less bad, but can still get funky.  I'd second the vodka and tea tree oil.  Sounds like that'd work.  Also, baking soda?  Anyone tried that?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
I use a dehumidifier (i.e. appliance), on my skates and pads after every session.   Between that and washing them in hot soapy water once every few months,  it seems to keep the stank under control.  Though both my skates are all synthetic, so I dry them out *completely* after every use.   I suspect leather may not be too appreciative of being over-dried. 

The roller derby folks typically use leather boots, and they sweat LOTS due to the physicality and not skating in a cold environment.   I know they have this issue too, but MUCH worse.   Maybe that's a useful avenue of research.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »
My Klingbeils and SP-Teri's never smelled/smell bad but when I had Jacksons, they reeked!  My kids' Jacksons were also stinky. 

I used the DIY silica gel and activated charcoal but nothing really solved the problem.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
I too leave my skates in a locker at the rink.  Not ideal, but convenient.  I store my skates with these bamboo charcoal bags designed for sneakers, etc.:
http://www.mosonatural.com/Minimoso
I get mine through amazon.  It isn't a miracle worker and perhaps yours are too far gone for this but it works reasonably well as maintenance.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 04:14:36 AM »
Nice to know the Moso bags work; I bought some for my skates in a discount store a couple of weeks back. The disadvantage over silica is they need recharging outdoors in sunlight for an hour, once a month, not always easy to arrange in the UK.

My low level Jacksons were beginning to get a slight smell when I put my nose in, after 7 months use. I am now washing my feet before I go skating, whether they need it or not  :D

Higher level Jacksons are described as having the microfibre lining treated and having antibacterial properties. I am going to factor this in when I need to choose new skates.

Loops, it might help to remove the insoles if you tuck a very thin cord under them, to lever them out.(Same priniple as in some battery compartments) Strong polyester thread might work.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »
DD's feet get VERY sweaty and then feel itchy so she sprinkles a bit of foot powder in her boot before skating to soak up moisture which helps keep the smell at bay and her feet happier. Just a light sprinkle does the trick - too much and it collects under your toes.

Do you replace your insoles every so often? DD uses thin, cut-to-fit, anti-microbial insoles from the drug store so they are cheap and easy to swap out. A triangular makeup sponge taped under the insole is what cushions her arch, so those get replaced too.

We try to remember to let them air out after skating, but it doesn't always happen.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »
I have sweaty feet and even though I try to carefully air out my boots in between uses, and have tried the various remedies including the little de-stink balls, pingy bags, house hold cleaning sprays, etc. sooner or later the boots just plain smell.  I feel your pain and feel sorry for my skate tech when I need a sharpening. 

One thing that I haven't tried is a service offered at my rink for hockey players.  We're not just talking skates--those guys have huge duffel bags full of gear that gets rank and delicious.  But, for a fee, they can pack all that stuff in a cabinet, which is plugged into an electric outlet, that somehow destinkafies (might be a word) the whole mess.  Don't know yet how this magic is effected or how much it costs or if in the long run it kills your boots but I plan to look into it and will report back.  Meanwhile perhaps another more knowledgeable listee can explain how this phenom works and how long the process lasts.  I can't believe our rink is unique in offering this service.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
"Deodorizing Options

Our Letter Writer mentioned that he was using an isopropyl alcohol solution that he mixed in a spray bottle and used to spritz his pads down after use, which is a good thing to do. It's not the best thing to do, but it is a good one. We're going to run through a few options when it comes to spray-on deodorizers, but it's important to note that these sprays won't do very much if you don't use them in concert with a thorough drying regimen. The best approach is to lay your pads out, either on the ground or on a rack, then spray spray spray spray spray, then flip the switch on your fan/dehumidifier, then go drink a beer and watch Beaches.

There are definitely many more spray-on odor-eliminating options out there, but for our purposes we'll talk about six of the most commonly used ones, in order of best to worst.

White vinegar: Cheap? Check. Kills bacteria? Check. Neutralizes odor? Check. Safe on stitching/leather? Check. Safe on your skin? Check.

Vodka: Cheap? Check-ish. It's certainly more expensive—even the cheap, cheap stuff, which is what you should use—than is white vinegar. Kills bacteria? Check. Neutralizes odor? Check. Safe on stitching/leather? Check. Safe on your skin? Check.

Clorox Green Works Wipes: Cheap? Check minus. Kills bacteria? Check. Neutralizes odor? Check. Safe on stitching/leather? Check. Safe on your skin? Check.

Isopropyl alcohol: Cheap? Check. Kills bacteria? Check. Neutralizes odor? Check. Safe on stitching/leather? Check minus. Rubbing alcohol can cause the leather to dry out and crack. Safe on your skin? Check.

Febreze: Cheap? Check minus. Kills bacteria? Check, but only if you use the antimicrobial version of the product. Neutralizes odor? Check minus. Febreze is more of an odor masker than an odor eliminator. Safe on stitching/leather? Check. Safe on your skin? Check.

Lysol: Cheap? Check minus. Kills bacteria? Check plus. Neutralizes odor? Check. Safe on stitching/leather? Check minus. Safe on your skin? Check minus. The biggest drawback Lysol has is that it can cause skin irritation, though if the pads are allowed time to dry completely the chance of the Lysol causing irritation will be lessened. Lysol really shines when it comes to using it in rank-smelling hockey bags."

The above was taken from this site: http://deadspin.com/your-hockey-gear-is-foul-clean-it-or-else-1464457604

I don't agree re the febreze, in my experience even after the perfume smell has gone, there is no trace of the original smell, and it is marketed as removing odours, not just masking them.

The rest of the site emphasises drying the equipment thoroughly after use, and having an absorbent layer between you and the equipment. You can apparently buy a home appliance which circulates warm air around your equipment in a hang up bag.That might be the technique in lutefisk's rink?
Will be very interested in hearing more about it.

The other thoughts I've had:
It is recommended for shoes that you don't wear the same pair every day, allegedly having 2 pairs more than doubles the life of the shoes. So if you really can't completely dry out your skates between sessions, you could think about investing in another pair of skates
Scholl make both a foot antiperspirant spray and a sneaker treatment spray. I'm guessing any antiperspirant would work, although spray easier than roll ons.

Offline Loops

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
you could think about investing in another pair of skates

Bwahahahahahaha!  At close to 800 euros a pop for stock boots (and the blades), that's not gonna be happening.  Maybe when I make the olympic team and can justify it.  Awesome list otherwise though.

We're only on day 2.  I've washed the insoles and dried them.  No more stink. :D  Boots.....still stinky, still airing out....I'm still searching for our fan.  If we still have it, it's buried in an unmarked box in our basement.  Wish me luck.

I'm going to work through the suggestions you guys have made, and any more that pop up.  The stank has already lessened.  I can no longer smell them unless I'm next to them, so progress is happening.  :)

Would really like to figure out how I can leave them in my locker next year AND get them to not be stinky.  I only skate two days a week, so they in theory do have time to dry out between.  I don't want to be schlepping them back and forth- I often run to the rink, and when I don't I'm in a mad rush....forgetting them is a real risk. It's already happened!

Going to look into the Mosobags once the younglings are in bed.

Curious about the powder Dressmakingmomma.....I haven't used it out of fear of it getting grody in the foot of the boot. 

My toes/forefeet don't sweat...on the contrary they're usually numb with cold, so I think this is mostly my ankles and instep which deffo do sweat.  My boots have a suede-like lining.  It's not the smooth leather of my ancient Riedells.  I don't think it's microfibre like the jacksons, but I need to research that.  I wish I could scrub them out like I did the insoles, but that's not gonna happen.  Kind of tempted to have a go at the tongue lining though.  That'll be a last-resort option, I think.

Thanks guys!  You're awesome.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
I'm glad you're getting the stink out! For the first time ever today, another skater took her boots off at the next bench, and my friend and I were both nearly overcome. We both (independently - corroborated the story later on the ice) first smelled our own stuff as inconspicuously as possible, then looked around for hockey players, and then realized it was her boots. Nice lady with very stinky boots.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:18 AM »
FWIIW, Vodka, AFAICT, is almost purely a mixture of ethanol (about 40%) and water (about 60%).

In the U.S., those rubbing alcohols that are mostly ethanol would have almost the same composition (though much more toxic to drink), but are cheaper - partly because of taxes.

But I've never tried either.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
I'm so sorry - I made a bad mistake.

It is the "denatured alcohol", not the "isopropyl alcohol" based ones that would resemble Vodka. And you would have to add almost 50% water to get it down to about the right concentration.

But both the ethanol itself (including the Vodka), and the denaturing agent are serious solvents, that might damage the glues that help hold the boot together, and if they touch the outside, might strip the polish and its protective clear coat.

So before trying any of the chemicals that have been suggested, I suggest you call the boot maker. They can tell you what the chemicals might do, and they may have a better idea!

:-[

Sorry!

Offline Loops

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 01:27:37 PM »
I'm glad you're getting the stink out! For the first time ever today, another skater took her boots off at the next bench, and my friend and I were both nearly overcome. We both (independently - corroborated the story later on the ice) first smelled our own stuff as inconspicuously as possible, then looked around for hockey players, and then realized it was her boots. Nice lady with very stinky boots.

OMG, I hope an I not that person....my locker certainly stank (kept a bottle of deodorzer in there for spritzing purposes), and I did always feel bad leaving my skates for my coach to sharpen, but I at least never noticed anything before I managed to get my feet into them......

I know I am not alone.

Thanks for the heads up Query, I'll keep that all in mind.

Offline Loops

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »
So an update....

Skates have been sitting all week wide open (took the opportunity to wash the laces) at times with a fan on them.  While they aren't a bed of roses, I think I'm back in the zone of normalcy.  I expect there to be some level of funk.  But now I have to stick my nose into the boot and I don't want to die from the experience.

I've been trying a very strong anti-bacterial/cleaning spray that I can make from the cleaning product line I get (French thing, so I won't bother with details).  That seems to be doing nothing.   So I'm not hopeful that the vodka/tea tree oil mix I was planning to make will do much.  Though that is on the list of things to try for maintenance.  I will NOT have this problem again.

I was looking at the Fabreeze options at the grocery store....That I think is going to be the next step.  I swore someone wrote about fabreeze sheets on here (I had the image of stuffing them into my skates, along with the Si-gel sleeves I have). I couldn't find them.  Turns out I made all that up, no-one actually mentioned sheets.  So I'll have to get something next time I'm in the shop.

Someone asked about baking soda....I did try baking soda back in October when I made my first DIY stink-eeze.  It was combined with activated charcoal that I got from the aquarium store.  Did nothing.  Perhaps with some Si-gel too it might be more effective.  Maybe that's something else I'll try for maintenance.

Amy1984- You had the same issue with Risports?  But not Jacksons....That is very curious, but in line with my low-funk Riedells.  Anyone else out there with Risports who experienced something similar?  I don't know that they're higher quality leather than Riedell or Jackson (or any of the other boots out there, made for competitive skating), but they sure do something funny to the leather.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Glad it's getting better. I just looked at one of my Febreze bottles. It says to spray until damp, as it removes odours when it dries. I'm not sure spraying sheets would help. The pet odour one is antibacterial (99.9% of bacteria), so you might want to look out for that one. I think it's bacteria that makes sweaty things smell. It also says not to use on leather, but I dont think a light spritz, repeated as necessary is going to do more harm to leather/suede than alcohol, or sweat. If you overdo it, I guess you'll get water marks. HTH

Spraying my feet with unperfumed antiperspirant this week didnt massively improve the dampness of my skates or slight scent of feet, but I am now more aware of which part of my foot gets wett, and wil try to be more thorough next time

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
At the risk of posting about nothing except smelly feet & skates, I have just found out that Odor-eaters do an anti-persp/deo spray that you use on yr feet & shoes just before you put them on, and then on yr shoes when you take them off. Could be good as a preventative measure. It's called (in the UK) Foot & Shoe spray,  ;D £4. If I hadnt just bought some Mitchums wd have given it a go
Kiwi do a shoe spray
One or other of the O-E/Kiwi lasts 48 hours acc to blurb on bottle, I forget which

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »
You know, many human-applicable deodorants work partly by suppressing your own ability to smell yourself, based on the chemicals they contain. That makes you feel better about yourself, but doesn't help others' impression of you.

Could some of these foot de-oderizers work the same way?

:)