You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Linked Events

• SWTS 2-hr Premiere: November 22, 2010
  • SWTS: November 29, 2010
  • SWTS: December 06, 2010
  • SWTS: December 13, 2010
  • SWTS: December 20, 2010
  • SWTS Finale: December 21, 2010

Author Topic: Skating with the Stars (ABC)  (Read 11155 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Skating with the Stars (ABC)
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
I didn't see the first lady skate (got home at 8:30.) What's her name/background? Can't keep 'em straight. But she did a full flip too??  :o

It only took me ten minutes to land a full flip. But I had already been skating for well over a year! Wow. I hope adults out there are inspired.

I want to see them do some actual footwork- maybe a five step mohawk, or even a double three.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Did anyon catch Keana's dig at Brandon?  At first the hosts led me to believe he'd been injured and it wasn't until late in the show that they admitted he was sick.  Keana made the comment that she wished it was her who'd been sick because she would have skated anyway (and then Weir agreed with her).  They stopped a hair short of saying Brandon wimped out. by saying that it was the doctor who wouldn't let him skate.  He's one of the youngest, he's got the roller-skating background and should be one of the front-runners.  He caught a break this week but I wonder if 'll be so lucky next week.

I think she meant that if she was sick she could have skated because she has the experience to know how to handle skating sick or injured.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
Debbie_S posted that Evan Bates chimed in about the show on his IceNetwork blog:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101207&content_id=16271092&vkey=ice_news

What really transpired may have been more disturbing. Instead of showing the footage of Brandon Mychal Smith falling, they showed him being loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher, stopping to vomit over the side railing. We didn't see it, but dude, you win spill of the week. It must've been gnarly.

If ignorance is bliss, so is oblivion. Many viewers were probably thankful to have been kept in oblivion and not see the fall. Not me. That's why I'm paying my basic cable bill. A main draw of the show was seeing celebrities wipe out, yet now you leave it up to my imagination? Surely that is worse, for now I fear he has a head injury. Brandon, get well soon.

Brandon's agent said that he had food poisoning or a stomach virus, but from that blog entry, I get the feeling that Brandon had a fall that made him sick to his stomach.  If he landed on his head or his stomach, or was in shock, that could bring on vomiting.  I hope they clarify how/why he was ill and give an update on his status.

ETA: I think the confusion came from Brandon's online accounts.  Radio Disney recorded a spectacular fall that he posted here, there and everywhere before he got sick.  He posted a note on his Twitter account saying that he had never been that sick to his stomach before, but didn't mention the fall as a cause.  Probably was food poisoning then.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
Sierra, you can watch what you missed at http://video.tvguide.com/Shows/Skating+With+the+Stars or any number of other websites.

---

If skaters hate Lauri Ann so much, but she has a long term contract, maybe she can switch jobs with Tanith?

Maybe they could have chosen adults who already skate regularly. I figure that's who probably watches.

I'd love to see them give more info and demos on how to do things better than what the skaters did - enough to be helpful to those of us who skate.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
Wow. That was actually a good flip. A little bit of pre-rotation, slight wobble in landing, but clean and on one foot!

But going to the hospital for a sore wrist? Really?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »

Maybe they could have chosen adults who already skate regularly. I figure that's who probably watches.

Will Arnett and Jon Heder can both skate.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »
JustJared is reporting that Brandon Smith's illness is taking him off the show for good.  Either that, or his agent doesn't want him involved with such a low-rated show.  Just kidding, he was actually my favorite star on that show.

http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2010/12/13/brandon-smith-not-skating-with-the-stars-anymore/

Hope he gets well soon. 

I wonder what Disney/ABC/SWTS will do?  Send in a sub? (Hoping to get the british host off the mic and on the ice!) Just eliminate Brandon & Keauna and give everyone else a bye this week from elimination?  Bring back Vince *crosses fingers*? 

I'm actually curious about this - might watch it live tonight.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
Just watch the latest show tonight. Brandon had a stomach virus that still is not letting him go. It must be one heck of a stomach virus. Anyway, Brandon and his partner had to quit the show because of Brandon's illness. No one was cut this week because of Brandon and his partner quitting.

Johnny M. and partner really put on a show. They did two lifts and a throw double. It would have been pretty much first rate if Johnny hadn't got so excited about his partner being able to land the throw at the end.

Both lady stars are relying to much on their skating partners to pull them through. If it wasn't for their partners lifting them like dead weight, they'd not be going very far.

I think next week we should see all singles skating being judged. No more partnering. Have each skating be judged on stroking, turns, fully rotated single jumps, basic spins (sit or upright either foot). Have their skating partner be the the stars' coach to train them for next week.
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.