You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Linked Events

• NHK Trophy: October 22, 2010 - October 24, 2010

Author Topic: NHK Trophy Oct. 22 – 24, 2010 Nagoya, Japan *SPOILERS*  (Read 9189 times)

Offline Artemis

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 62
Re: NHK Trophy Oct. 22 – 24, 2010 Nagoya, Japan *SPOILERS*
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
I liked Jeremy's program, I thought it suited him very well. I'm a big fan of David Wilson's choreography anyway, he usually finds ways to bring out the best of each skater, and this was no exception. I thought the component marks could have been a lot closer between him and Daisuke. (83.58 vs 76.42)

Florent was meh. Sure, I can see the entertainment value, but way too much posing and crotch-grabbing.

Daisuke's program ... I'm reserving judgment. It would be hard to top last year's, but I think this one may grow on me.

Yay for Shawn for coming back this year. He spent so much energy last year focussing on the Olympic berth, and when that didn't happen ... well, it would have been a shame if he'd ended his career there. Now he's skating for all the right reasons, and for that reason I don't think he can fail.
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." ~ anon

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
Speaking of costuming, just looked up Jeremy Abbott's LP music because I didn't understand his costume.  (La Vita e Bella by Nicola Piovani)  "Life is Beautiful" ... split-personality outfit ... yeah, I don't get it.  I liked his skating, but the grimace on his face from taking the ice to the kiss-and-cry was a little out of context.

When I saw the disconnected jacket collar and the black-vs-white bodice, I expected some sort of tango-with-myself routine.  Who was it that used to do the exhibition or show routine where he skated as a woman when viewed from the left and as a man from the right?

Abbott's back still doing his mime routine in the K&C.  Uh, Jeremy?  There are microphones - just say "Hi and I Love You" instead of trying to get out of the shrinking box.  One of my kids yelled at him to "sit on his hands."

Final ISU Protocols are here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2010/gpjpn10_protocol.pdf

The outfit you're discussing is for his SP, not for his LP. His LP is the vest and dresspants with shirt and tie combo. But, yep, the short one is weird, if the collar on the suit jacket didn't stick up in the back it wouldn't be so bad.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
I think the judges just didn't get Sawyer's free program this year. It's like Shawn's got to wear the full Mad Hatter outfit and hit the judges over their heads for them to get it. Here's hoping that Shawn has more of the Mad Hatter costume for GP Skate Canada this week.

Sawyer is doing Skate America, not Skate Canada; the guess is that he didn't have a costume to go with due to the late bid to NHK, so, just tweaked an old one.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
The outfit you're discussing is for his SP, not for his LP. His LP is the vest and dresspants with shirt and tie combo. But, yep, the short one is weird, if the collar on the suit jacket didn't stick up in the back it wouldn't be so bad.
Hmmm... UniSports may have shown both and perhaps I am mixing them up.  His SP music is a tango, which makes sense.  I'll have to pay attention to his next competition.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com