You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How age slows you down  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
How age slows you down
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
I usually wear skates out from the inside. The leather lining is the first thing to go, then perhaps later some structural issues appear like separation of arch support layers on the sole.

I came across a picture of a pair of Riedell Gold Stars from 2006 after I skated in them since 2002. At that time, I was skating at least 12 - 15 hours per week. Note that the leather inside is worn through where it contacts my anklebone. You can see the blue foam padding beneath the leather.

I just took this picture of my replacement skates that I purchased in 2007. Note that the leather inside is shot once again, but this time it's through cracking and old age, not wear.

I skate fewer hours per week now, and this is proof that age is taking a toll on the leather before wear happens.

I hear the phrase "old age" being uttered more and more!

Bill Schneider

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: How age slows you down
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
I wouldn't say that you have slowed down with age, Bill.  It's more likely that your current skates just couldn't keep up with your improved technique and skating style that comes with age and experience.   ;)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
You're an optimist! Bless your heart!

While these skates are showing their age, and I've toyed with the idea of replacing them, they do fit like a glove.

If I jump in them, I can feel the lack of support compared to when they were new, but I just don't jump as often anymore. Because of their fit, they are better suited to moves and edges than a new pair would be. I wouldn't look forward to breaking in a new pair.

I'll replace them sometime, but I'm in no hurry.
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »
My skates tend to break down on the outside.  The laces of the previous pair eventually sawed their way through the leather around the eyelets.  My local cobbler added some leather reinforcements but a few months later I broke down and bought new boots.  The sides also had some big creases and my feet were moving around inside, so it was time.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
I also had a local cobbler (now gone) repair some stitching in my first pair of Gold Stars. Shoe repair is becoming a lost art, I'm afraid.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
My skates tend to break down on the outside.  The laces of the previous pair eventually sawed their way through the leather around the eyelets.  My local cobbler added some leather reinforcements but a few months later I broke down and bought new boots.  The sides also had some big creases and my feet were moving around inside, so it was time.

This happens to me too.  My cobbler has so far made them work, and I've yet to break through the stitching he did.  I do pop out the eyelets he puts in though, I pull the laces so tight......Probably means its skate time, but I really don't want to.  I hate buying skates.