You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating Tattoo ideas?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Figure Skating Tattoo ideas?
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
Gather the collective hive mind!

I'm considering getting a tattoo (I've always wanted one pertaining to my passions.) and wondered if anyone could help me out with some ideas for either a figure skating tattoo? I've a few ideas but nothing solid just yet!

Thanks much!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Figure Skating Tattoo ideas?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
I think figure tracings are a cool idea! Might be great car window stickers too. A little more subtle than the silhouette of figure skater ones.

Though - I wonder how conservative skating judges might look upon obvious tattoos.

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
How about a toepick profile on the side of your foot  ;D

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
Back in my service days I was assigned to a ship.  We had a first class Boiler Tender with lots of tats.  None of them had anything thing to do with ice skating--his tastes ran to hula girls, anchors, eagles etc.  When we'd come into a new (to him) port, as soon as liberty was granted he'd go ashore, get roaring drunk and then get "stenciled".  When I got off the boat two years later he didn't have much in the way of unoccupied "real estate" left on his carcass.  Now, how do I bring this back to the question asked in the original post?  Oh yes, the Boiler Tender had one hula girl on his forearm that he could make do a most hypnotic dance when he made a fist and flexed the right muscles.  Maybe you could have a tattoo of a Free-Style skater and maybe if it was done just right you could flex a muscle and make the skater do a Waltz jump or something.  Now that would be impressive! 

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »
Maybe start a collection of "badges" earned for tests along the way, but tattoos instead of an embroidered patch.
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:25 PM »
Back in my service days I was assigned to a ship.  We had a first class Boiler Tender with lots of tats.  None of them had anything thing to do with ice skating--his tastes ran to hula girls, anchors, eagles etc.  When we'd come into a new (to him) port, as soon as liberty was granted he'd go ashore, get roaring drunk and then get "stenciled".  When I got off the boat two years later he didn't have much in the way of unoccupied "real estate" left on his carcass.  Now, how do I bring this back to the question asked in the original post?  Oh yes, the Boiler Tender had one hula girl on his forearm that he could make do a most hypnotic dance when he made a fist and flexed the right muscles.  Maybe you could have a tattoo of a Free-Style skater and maybe if it was done just right you could flex a muscle and make the skater do a Waltz jump or something.  Now that would be impressive!

After thinking more about this, perhaps a rotational jump like a Waltz jump would impose too high a technical and esthetic burden on your tattoo artiste.  But with a bit of care I'm sure he could get her to do a bunny hop or maybe a split jump when you flexed your arm muscles.  I wish I could put you in touch with my old Boiler Tender, but sadly that was almost 50 years ago and I've lost track of the man.  Anyway, with his lifestyle choices I fear the dear man is dead by now.  He was truly a sailor's sailor.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
Maybe start a collection of "badges" earned for tests along the way, but tattoos instead of an embroidered patch.

I haven't really seen or heard of adults doing tests at any of the Arena's I'm bouncing around. But that'd be a cute idea.
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »
I think figure tracings are a cool idea! Might be great car window stickers too. A little more subtle than the silhouette of figure skater ones.

Though - I wonder how conservative skating judges might look upon obvious tattoos.

It is a cool idea actually ^_^

Pfft. Judges Smudges. As a skater, I don't such things define me ;) Plus, I'm a guy so tattoo will likely be hidden. I don't see myself wearing an open outfit any time soon XDD

My Blog

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »

Hmn...but could it fit in the appropriate spot? That's kind of cute actually.

My Blog

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »

I have never once seen a tattoo do something like that. Seems like it'd have to be a complicated/well placed tattoo?

My Blog

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
To have a dynamic tattoo: Have a skater tattooed so that one leg is on the chest and one is on the arm, positioned right where the arm joint is. Move arm up and down and the skater will be "jumping"! ;)

Ashley Wagner has an infinity tattoo on her ribcage that's easily hidden in her costumes. I don't think I've ever seen a heavily tattooed skater in performances (though know one with tats all down his legs which are covered while in skating pants). I have one at the crook of my elbow that is hidden by 3/4 sleeves, but I've worn long sleeves on pretty much everything so it's not easily seen. I figured if it was ever something I'd need to cover, I have dermablend for a reason (weddings).

I think a figure tracing could be really nice, but I also have a thing for geometric snowflakes: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/308004061996683775/

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

I've seen lots of skate with toepick imprints on the top/front of the boot. Not the same thing?

Offline davincisop

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
Keep in mind the time to heal if you get it on your foot. You're not going to want something rubbing against the tattoo because it could potentially cause the ink to have fallout or cause it to blowout. I was told limited water interaction (like just shower and lightly wash it and then pat dry and cover) and no tight fabrics for 10 days. If it is on your foot, you may have to not skate during the time it takes to heal because you don't want that tattoo to end up looking like trash.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »
I have a butterfly on my thigh that shows if I'm in a dress/skirt and only one pair of tights. It looks like a fist-sized bruise. If I wear two pair, it doesn't show. The one on my wrist is partially hidden by my watch and most people don't even realize it's there.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
I have many obvious tattoos. Never had anyone mention them except some snooty coaches who told me that this was a family show and I should cover them. I did it once then never did it again because it was a total hassle and the makeup stained my costume.

Also I guess it was okay for their youth skaters to dye their hair weird colors but an adult skater like me can't have tattoos? Yeah there's no double standard here.  88)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »
For anyone curious, this is the design I ended up getting done:

THanks for all the input!

My Blog

Offline davincisop

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:30:31 AM »
Nice, Sam.

Did you have the word wings written exactly as that sketch or did the artist update that? It's reading as "uings" in cursive. Otherwise it's a pretty design.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Thanks <3

I did have it written in, but I am currently waiting on the update that fixes that <3 I know it reads reaaaal funny.

My Blog