You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bunga vs Silipos Comparison  (Read 1360 times)

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Bunga vs Silipos Comparison
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:15:49 PM »
Both Bunga and Silipos offer gel sleeves and pads used by skaters.  In general, Bunga is more expensive (in some instances, twice as much).  Has anyone here had direct experience with both lines; i.e., done an A-B comparison between the two in regard to product quality, characteristics, and service life?  Bottom line, is Bunga worth the extra bucks? 

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
Re: Bunga vs Silipos Comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »
My bungas last longer. I won't buy the others anymore. Bungas last easily twice as long or longer so the extra cost is worth it to me. My silipos stretched out much faster too and the gel didn't hold up.

Offline ARoo

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:06:23 PM »
My daughter hates Bungas because they are super tight/stiff and strangle her (teeny tiny) ankle. She has had a couple pairs of off-brand gelpads from the skate shop (not sure what brand). The second pair of those just rubbed off the backing in a couple places so we bought the 10" sleeve from Silipos (on Amazon because we wanted some we could order online). I cut it in half and ended up with the correct size - exactly the same as all the others.

She likes them just as much as the ones from the skate shop and much better than Bungas. She appears to go through a pair every year or so, give or take.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
I have used both and and found Silipos 10-inch sleeve (cut in half for two 5-inch sleeves) fits me far better.  The Silipos doesn't feel as good "quality", probably because the Bunga gel is thicker.  However, the Silipos mesh backing is more stretchy than the Bunga (a very good thing with my cankles!), and the thinner Silipos gel means I can layer it as needed.

My boots are too small to accommodate a layer of Bunga all the way around the ankle, but I need more than just lace bite or Achilles padding.  In some parts of the ankle I do need the "Bunga thickness", so I save the worn out Silipos pairs and stick the old ones to the new ones (gel-side to gel-side sticks well), then cut away from the old set the part of the ankle sleeve that only requires one Silipos layer.