You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where to get Funky Laces?!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Where to get Funky Laces?!
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Hola everyone!

Evidently I've been fairly silent for a while. Lets fix that shall we!?

Does anyone know any good places online to buy different kinds of funky colored figure skate laces? I know rollerskate laces aren't really feasible because of the width/lengths they come in so I wondered if anyone knew where I could find some cool ones to snazz up my skates. (Because boring skates are boring :D) Rainbow laces? Laces with designs?

Thanks!

Sam
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Where to get Funky Laces?!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
There are lace speciality stores - e.g., see https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201193321AAM3xgz

I have also tried backpacking laces - you can buy 144" sections. If the laces are nylon, you melt or tape the ends to get something to pull on, and thread through the wholes. Leather laces can just be cut, I guess.

But I currently use nylon round utility cord - 3 mm diameter, if I remember right. You can buy it at camping and climbing equipment stores, like REI, in many highly visible colors and color combinations.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=utility+cord&origin=web&ir=q%3Autility+cord&page=1

I currently use bright orange, which looks like Halloween against my black boots. I like round, because it doesn't twist, and is much easier on the fingers than flat lace. But you have to get better at pulling it tight, and you have to double knot it, because round cord loosens more easily.

But each to their own. I think "traditional" figure skating pepple favor laces that are the same color as the boots. Some ice skating judges are traditional.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Re: Where to get Funky Laces?!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:20:40 PM »
There are lace speciality stores - e.g., see https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201193321AAM3xgz

I have also tried backpacking laces - you can buy 144" sections. If the laces are nylon, you melt or tape the ends to get something to pull on, and thread through the wholes. Leather laces can just be cut, I guess.

But I currently use nylon round utility cord - 3 mm diameter, if I remember right. You can buy it at camping and climbing equipment stores, like REI, in many highly visible colors and color combinations.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=utility+cord&origin=web&ir=q%3Autility+cord&page=1

I currently use bright orange, which looks like Halloween against my black boots. I like round, because it doesn't twist, and is much easier on the fingers than flat lace. But you have to get better at pulling it tight, and you have to double knot it, because round cord loosens more easily.

But each to their own. I think "traditional" figure skating pepple favor laces that are the same color as the boots. Some ice skating judges are traditional.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I like having a bit of uniqueness and I think laces are the more interesting way to go ^_^ I'll make sure to keep a spare pair of regular old laces if I end up in situation where a skate judge is looking for that though ^_^

Any other resources you can offer?
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog