You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: My goals were very simple after all  (Read 3827 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
My goals were very simple after all
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
I was skating the other day and the following things hit me:

• I don't toe push anymore. Even when I'm lazily skating around.
  • I have a reasonable extension when I do stroking now. Free leg is straight and up, and foot points to the right.
  • Corners no longer scare me, because crossovers no longer scare me. (Regulars on skatingforums must be very familiar with this  ;D )
  • Going forwards to backwards is easy now, because I've learned how to do a proper mohawk.
  • I can skate backwards with a straight back now, even if it's backward stroking or consecutive edges.
  • I no longer scratch the ice with my toepick when on a backward outside edge, and can do the back entrance edge to a waltz jump on the right side of the blade.
  • I can do cross rolls with a proper push.
  • When I step forward on the waltz jump, I actually slide a reasonable distance now.  ;D

I still can't jump high enough, or spin, but I realize it doesn't bother me as much. (Although I am envious of spinners!) Apparently, my goal was really simple -- it was just to be comfortable on the ice. And after 6 years, I've finally met that goal.

Now...onto mastering the different turns! And hoping to do spins and jumps in the future.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: My goals were very simple after all
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Congratulations!!! :D  Those were excellent goals, and I'm sure you now look like someone who knows how to skate!  That isn't easy.

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:47:35 AM »
Thank you Doubletoe! It wasn't easy at all -- it took me 6 years!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Apparently, my goal was really simple -- it was just to be comfortable on the ice. And after 6 years, I've finally met that goal.

omg, I relate to this so much, and I feel really comforted by the fact that it took you 6 years. I'm on year 2 (that's kind of 2 years condensed, one with a good coach,the other not as much) and I've been feeling so embarrassed by the fact that I'm _still_ not comfortable on the ice yet.

very one of the things you listed above are things I struggle with, still. Fear of crossovers (this comes and goes, but gets worse if I trip and fall badly, which I do every few months or so), hunched over back on backwards stroking, and strong crossrolls/russian stroking. In my head I should be further along by now, my skills are all there, so why can't I do them comfortably? But reading this made me remember that it takes time to get to that comfort zone, even after you have the skills.

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »
It took me 3 years to not have to remind myself to not look down at the ice all the time.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
It took me 3 years to not have to remind myself to not look down at the ice all the time.

but what if it goes somewhere??  ;)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »

I've been at it 15 years and still look down. It's the hardest $*%#*( habit to break. I tell my coach I want to see where I'm going to land when I fall.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
Looking at the ice: haven't you had that dream where you are skating along and all of a sudden you are in a swimming pool?

That could happen!  You need to look down to make sure it doesn't!! ::>)

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:16:23 AM »
Looking at the ice: haven't you had that dream where you are skating along and all of a sudden you are in a swimming pool?

Lol!! Icedancer you crack me up!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 01:52:33 AM »

Given that the competition I entered was cancelled for this very reason, it's a vital skill to develop!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
I am so glad to find out I am not totally weird.  I had a dream that I was testing moves in the field, and the rink was a lap lane swimming pool, and somehow I was supposed to do my moves down one of the lap lanes, in the water.  I woke up in horror.

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »
Woah, I had that dream once too! I was doing spins and skating moves underwater in a pool. WEIRDDD.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
We should start another thread - "Skating Dream" because I'm pretty sure I've had them all!

Love the one about being in a lap pool and having to do your moves down the lane!  (Actually that would be a good way to get the kids especially to understand the whole "down rink" concept).

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
We should start another thread - "Skating Dream" because I'm pretty sure I've had them all!

We should, haha. When I first started I had dreams constantly where I was skating with ease, could do deep edges with control etc. I haven't dreamt about skating in months, maybe over a year now, I think because I finally bridged the gap with my real-life ability and what I want to do on ice. Nothing is perfect on ice, but I can do things now that I didn't even know to dream about back then. Yay for progress.