You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Halo "HD" model feed-back sought.  (Read 4486 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Ice Halo "HD" model feed-back sought.
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
I currently use the standard Ice Halo (the original model with the Velcro closure).  It works well and has saved me additional trips to the ER on at least two occasions which featured backward, head-whacking falls.  However the standard version does have certain limitations.  If I over tighten the Velcro it can make my head hurt after a while.  Too loose and I worry that it won't stay in place during an incident.  Additionally, friend who has the "furry" version of the standard Ice Halo (makes him look like Jacoba Brink in the old James Bond film "For Your Eyes Only") indicates that his gets hot during use.  I have not experienced over heating with my plain black fleece Ice Halo and no one has yet accused me of looking like a Bond femme fatale. 

So, in short, I'm wondering about the fit, comfort and protection of the higher density (HD) version of the Ice Halo. 

Since the HD is a closed circle without the Velcro adjustment feature, I assume that getting the correct size is critical unless you like migraines.  Also, the HD is billed as thinner and sleeker than the standard model---but is it more protective, or at least as protective as the standard version?  I'd be very interested to hear comments from current HD users before I pony up $95 dollars.  I'd be particularly interested in comments from anyone who has tried both models--which would they buy again and why?  Apology in advantage if MS Brink is a forum member.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Ice Halo "HD" model feed-back sought.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:38 PM »
I have the HD and I've been happy with it.  It's actually made of two pieces (front and back halves) that dovetail together at the sides, so there's a bit of room for adjustment but it still stays on snugly.  I haven't actually tested it out in a fall, though, so I can't directly comment on how well it functions to reduce injury.  The only slight issue I have is that the fabric cover has a fold right at the front and I end up with a slight visible crease in my forehead for a while after I take it off.  That may be peculiar to the way the cover is bunched up on my own HD, not a general thing.  And it's not uncomfortable at all.  I've settled on this after trying the Crasche and Ribcap; I haven't tried the regular Ice Halo.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
I have the HD and I've been happy with it.  It's actually made of two pieces (front and back halves) that dovetail together at the sides, so there's a bit of room for adjustment but it still stays on snugly.  I haven't actually tested it out in a fall, though, so I can't directly comment on how well it functions to reduce injury.  The only slight issue I have is that the fabric cover has a fold right at the front and I end up with a slight visible crease in my forehead for a while after I take it off.  That may be peculiar to the way the cover is bunched up on my own HD, not a general thing.  And it's not uncomfortable at all.  I've settled on this after trying the Crasche and Ribcap; I haven't tried the regular Ice Halo.

Thanks skategeek.  How are the front and back halves joined?  Are they permanently sewn together?  Or maybe heat welded? 

In terms of adjustability, this wording is taken directly from Ice Halo's website:  "If it feels snug when you first put it on or at any point during use - just tug 'gently' at the two points of the Halo HD just above your eye brows, and release again. This will adjust the inner workings to fit you properly once more!"

What are the "two points"?  Are there actual points in the front of this thing or do they mean the locations just above each eye brow?  From that description I'm envisioning pulling the HD away from my forehead and then--BOING! releasing it like a spring.  Sounds like getting snapped with a rubber band! (Oh, it feels sooo good when I stop!)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »
I currently use the standard Ice Halo ... the standard version does have certain limitations.  If I over tighten the Velcro it can make my head hurt after a while.  Too loose and I worry that it won't stay in place during an incident. ..

Preach it sister. Plus my minion yellow one is too noticeable. I don't know why I picked that color.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
Some while back I was looking for head protection after leaving a smear of blood on the ice from a head wound, not serious fortunately though I did have a lovely cartoon style lump on my head. Anyway, I ended up going for a skate boarding helmet, basically a hard plastic shell with a high density foam interior. Is there a reason why you do not want to wear a helmet? You can get them in nice colours such as pink and duck egg blue. I was tempted by duck egg blue, but opted for black. A nice GB flag would have been great.

I did look at the Ice Halo, but it looked too feminine, and being male, decided not. I must admit, for women skaters the Ice Halo does look more stylish than a helmet. One problem with a helmet is that it does suggest 'yob' (UK back slang, meaning disruptive person, usually male), whereas the Ice Halo would suggest nice well behaved skater.  :)

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
Some while back I was looking for head protection after leaving a smear of blood on the ice from a head wound, not serious fortunately though I did have a lovely cartoon style lump on my head. Anyway, I ended up going for a skate boarding helmet, basically a hard plastic shell with a high density foam interior. Is there a reason why you do not want to wear a helmet? You can get them in nice colours such as pink and duck egg blue. I was tempted by duck egg blue, but opted for black. A nice GB flag would have been great.

I did look at the Ice Halo, but it looked too feminine, and being male, decided not. I must admit, for women skaters the Ice Halo does look more stylish than a helmet. One problem with a helmet is that it does suggest 'yob' (UK back slang, meaning disruptive person, usually male), whereas the Ice Halo would suggest nice well behaved skater.  :)

When I returned to the ice after whacking my head hard enough to require the evacuation of a subdural hematoma, I did wear a helmet for a short spell.  The one I chose was a skate boarding lid, rated for concrete sports.  It was OK but I found that it rocked around on my head in a distracting way no matter how tightly I yanked on the chin strap.  The helmet's brim, although short, tended to make me look down at the ice rather than ahead.  Neither of those are problems for the original Ice halo.  I'm just gathering info to see whether or not the HD is an improvement over the original.  Gender issues don't bother me in the least.  Whacking my head a second time hard enough to require brain surgery, on the other hand, is a consideration.  Trust me, one extra hole in your head is enough.

Offline lillian641

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:06:21 AM »
If your helmet rocked around on your head it was too big. I as an adult with a smaller head had to go with a helmet recommended for kids ages 5-7 to get it snug but not too tight. In mine there are additional foam pieces that come with thinner & thicker options for the top, front, & back. My helmet will stay on & not slide around w/out the chin strap fastened. It is an inexpensive one from Wal-Mart that had passed all the standard safety tests on the label. I use it when I ride my bike & roller blade or skate outside, but I'm not in the habit of wearing it ice skating. :blush:

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 04:52:59 AM »
A while back I contacted Ice Halo about the difference in protection between halo and halo HD, This is an excerpt from the attachment they sent (Their certification):

The Ice Halo Protective Headband and the Halo HD will help provide protection around the head in the event of a fall. No product, including the Ice Halo or a helmet, can completely prevent concussions or serious injury in the event of a serious impact to the head. 
The Ice Halo and Halo HD were tested according to: CSA Z262.1-09 (April 2009) Annex A, Hockey Helmet Standard which is equivalent to ASTM Worldwide Standard.  The Impact Drop Testing was performed by Biokinetics and Associates Ltd., Ottawa.  Biokinetics is one of the top impact testing facilities in the world. This standard allows a maximum impact of 275 G with a helmet.
 The results of the testing provided the following information:

Measured impact with no protection was:
 to the side of the head:    393.8 G average
 to the front of the head:   296.6 G average.

Measured impact with an Ice Halo:
the side of the head reduced to 220.5 G average
front of the head was reduced to 201 G average

Measured impact with a Halo HD:
the side and front of the head was reduced to 211 G average

Total impact to the front of the head was therefore reduced by at least 95.6 G average and reduced by at least 173.3 G average to the side of the head, compared to no protection. The Ice Halo passes the hockey helmet standard for side and front impact, which allows a maximum impact of 275 G with protection. The Ice Halo and Halo HD are the same density all the way around the head; it is the point of impact which creates the minor variance in the averages.
There is no CSA standard available for protective headband testing; they must be tested against the above Hockey Helmet Standard. Therefore no protective headband can claim to be CSA or ASTM approved or “passed by the CSA or ASTM”. Protective Headbands do not have the hard outer shell, a ‘top’ or a chin strap and therefore cannot be given a “pass” certification.  We can provide a video of the Ice Halo being tested by Biokinetics upon request. The Ice Halo Ltd. team is part of the ASTM International Worldwide Standards Sub-committee team currently working on developing a stand alone standard for protective headband testing

I assume the difference between the two in terms of protection are marginal, but perhaps someone with a physics background could comment. In the accompanying email they said the halo HD was slightly more protective. Re buying the correct size being critical, Maybe contact them?

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
When I returned to the ice after whacking my head hard enough to require the evacuation of a subdural hematoma, I did wear a helmet for a short spell.  The one I chose was a skate boarding lid, rated for concrete sports.  It was OK but I found that it rocked around on my head in a distracting way no matter how tightly I yanked on the chin strap.  The helmet's brim, although short, tended to make me look down at the ice rather than ahead.  Neither of those are problems for the original Ice halo.  I'm just gathering info to see whether or not the HD is an improvement over the original.  Gender issues don't bother me in the least.  Whacking my head a second time hard enough to require brain surgery, on the other hand, is a consideration.  Trust me, one extra hole in your head is enough.

That is horrible, and I see why you want head protection. As someone else said, your helmet was too small. However, if the Ice Halo HD does the job, you are sorted. I don't care what I look like as long as me nut is protected.  :)

Incidentally, I am surprised you banged your head. When I did so, it was in a period where I was falling a lot, usually when moving slowly, where one foot would shoot forwards for no obvious reason, and I am sure it was due to the way someone had sharpened my skates. I suffered two injuries and many painful falls. Once resharpened by a known competent person, I never again fell in that manner, and felt far more stable.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
Incidentally, I am surprised you banged your head. When I did so, it was in a period where I was falling a lot, usually when moving slowly, where one foot would shoot forwards for no obvious reason, and I am sure it was due to the way someone had sharpened my skates. I suffered two injuries and many painful falls. Once resharpened by a known competent person, I never again fell in that manner, and felt far more stable.

Ice is slippery and skate blades are designed to exploit that slipperiness.  Sometimes a fall comes out of nowhere.  To this day I can't tell you what I was attempting to do prior to that fall.  Those few seconds of my memory were erased, and after two years of waiting that particular little clip of memory probably isn't coming back.  But I'm back, and I'm gonna measure my head and get an IH-HD, maybe in Sea-Foam green.  SFG is the new black.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:51:23 AM »
Ice is slippery and skate blades are designed to exploit that slipperiness.  Sometimes a fall comes out of nowhere.  To this day I can't tell you what I was attempting to do prior to that fall.  Those few seconds of my memory were erased, and after two years of waiting that particular little clip of memory probably isn't coming back.  But I'm back, and I'm gonna measure my head and get an IH-HD, maybe in Sea-Foam green.  SFG is the new black.

It comes in colors now?!  When I got mine you could have any color you wanted, so long as it was black.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »
It comes in colors now?!  When I got mine you could have any color you wanted, so long as it was black.

Check it out--colours nuvo!:  http://icehalo.com/product-details.php?id=705

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
FWIIW, much lower accelerations (e.g., 60 - 90G) are cited as sometimes causing brain injury in

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/735057_4

However any significant reduction must be a good thing.

I've seen people actually fracture their skulls on the ice, which is really, really scary. Hopefully, Ice Halo is good enough to probably prevent that.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
  To this day I can't tell you what I was attempting to do prior to that fall.  Those few seconds of my memory were erased, and after two years of waiting that particular little clip of memory probably isn't coming back. 

I'm about 2.5 years out from mine and I have a four day memory gap. Like you, after so long, I doubt it's coming back. And I also have no idea what I was doing. The fall was unwitnessed and I was found with a pool of blood around my head. No surgery though.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
I'm about 2.5 years out from mine and I have a four day memory gap. Like you, after so long, I doubt it's coming back. And I also have no idea what I was doing. The fall was unwitnessed and I was found with a pool of blood around my head. No surgery though.

There were plenty of people on the rink during my faux pas but no one got a clear view of my fall , so no debriefing.  It's a little maddening but you and I will never know what to avoid or correct.

But I digress, this doesn't get me any closer to hands on (or perhaps "heads on") comparisons of  the standard vs the HD Ice Halo from actual users.  There's probably nothing to do but for me to buy an HD and since I'm already familiar with the standard version I'll soon have my answer, at least in terms of comfort, fit, etc .