You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is this Lace Bite?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Is this Lace Bite?
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
I've been breaking in a new pair of Ice Flies and noticed a pain down the front of my right foot, in front of the ankle area (so where the boots bends). It only happens when I am doing forward counter clockwise crossovers and backward clockwise crossovers (so when the right foot is being lifted over the left), and it happens as I'm lowering the right foot to the ground. This is my second pair of Ice Flies, but they are a size smaller than the previous pair.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Is this Lace Bite?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
I had lace bite a few years back, and your description sounds very similar. In my case, the tongue padding had broken down.

You might add some sort of padding in the affected area to see if it helps. Find some that doesn't compress into worthlessness.
Bill Schneider

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
Is it possible that it's caused by the boots being new and therefore the tongue being less flexible than the older boots (although I never had that problem with the older boots)? Also would it be worth heating the tongue to make it more pliable?
Just thinking, I should probably have described the pain better - it's like a sharp pain in a muscle and it is only whilst I'm doing those crossovers.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
My experience with lace bite was on the front part of my ankle when I first got my Riedell strides. It was the result of the tongue not dispersing the pressure from the laces and creating harsh pressure points. I solved the issue by using silopas gel sleeves (bunga alt). It sounds like your boot may be putting sharp pressure on a single spot when you are bending. I would suggest trying the gel sleeve and if that doesn't work then heat up the tongue.

When I had my issue it was mostly one ankle and for the first while since I had caused an on going injury I wore two sleeves layered on the bad area to heal and prevent further injury. Now I wear one on each because they generally make my experience more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:39:14 AM »
I can vouch for Silopas gel sleeves, which I used after I got lace bite thanks to using Superfeet! The latter reduce the depth of the skate, increasing the pressure from the laces.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
Lace bite is more common when boots break down - you keep trying to get the skate to fit right, so you start tying more and more tightly, causing the pressure and pain.
More than likely, this is just a break-in issue since the boots are new.  The tongue is smooth inside, right?  The lining isn't bunching up or wrinkling?

I always need a center-tongue hook to keep the tongue from shifting off my foot.  It tends to slide towards the outside ankle, leaving the edge of the tongue pressing into the channel on top of my inside ankle.  That irritates a nerve in that channel, causing pain.  If you need a tongue hook, a pro shop or shoe repair place can install one.

I second the idea of changing the way you tie your skates and using some cushion to protect the area.  The problem with gel sleeves is that they make the boot mold a little wider, so once you start wearing them, you have to keep wearing them or your boot will feel too big/wide.

Make sure to treat the injury so that it heals between sessions.  RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression (wrap,) Elevation.  Massage really helps, too. 
It's easy to forget this step when you're not in the skates, but it really does help a lot.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
As the boots are new and consequently quite stiff I've been tying the laces quite loosely, sometimes not tying the top hooks too. I do have superfeet insoles as the Edea ones don't provide any support. They are the yellow ones, same as I use in my other boots. I also wear the bunga pads but wonder if I need the lace bite ones?
The tongue isn't bunching up or anything.The pain only lasts for the time I'm doing the crossovers so I haven't been treating the foot, but I'll start resting it etc.
I'm wondering if the problem is because the tongue isn't molding to my foot because the laces are loose?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
The problem with gel sleeves is that they make the boot mold a little wider, so once you start wearing them, you have to keep wearing them or your boot will feel too big/wide.

This is true.  I feel all floppy when I accidentally leave them at home after washing.  But they certainly do help with break-in.  Not sure of the effect they'd have on lace bite, but if you need to go there.......