You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice skates for adult beginner to single jumps  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Mitsuki

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 8
Ice skates for adult beginner to single jumps
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
Hello everyone !

I'm new to ice skating and I need some of your advices.

I am having trouble choosing my first pair of ice skates.
I am 5'3 (1m60) tall and weight 53kg. I am 25y old and started skating in rentals for 1.5 months. I plan on taking lessons and skating at the very least 8h per week. I am actually at usfsa basic level 4 and I'd like to buy a skate that could last me through single jumps, at least.
I have narrow feet, triangle shaped toes, and flat arch.

I was thinking of Jackson Classique and Edea Overture, and maybe the Jackson Freestyle because the Classique are labeled as entry level... But the difference in price makes me cringe a little.
What do you think ?

Also what's the real differences between the blades mark IV, mirage and aspire ?

Thank you !

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Ice skates for adult beginner to single jumps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
I have a skater friend about your height and weight that is working on all her single jumps. She's in Jackson Freestyle. She's a light skater.

One benefit to being an adult is that your feet *probably* won't grow anymore, so you can wear your skates longer. Don't worry so much about the price but the fit. Try on several brands if you can, and definitely get your feet measured by a qualified fitter. (says the voice of experience)
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
One downside to the Classiques (which were my first skates) is that the sole is PVC, which means that the blade can't be moved or replaced easily. Leather gives you more flexibility with that.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:32:42 AM »
I would say given your progression I would definitely recommend getting a boot that you can change the blade on or starting with a blade that will get you through basic spins. I have the eclipse aurora which is supposed be a coronation ace dupe and noticed a huge difference over the stock blade my boots came with. I haven't researched the blades you asked about specifically but I would say they likely have a different rocker (shape of the blade) and different toe picks.

I agree that going to a good fitter is the best option but I think you are doing the right thing researching first.

If you want to boot to last you through single jumps I think the freestyle would be the better of the Jackson boots but they are going to very stiff and difficult to break in while you are working on basic skills.

That being said a little over a year ago I was in a similar position and went with the Riedell stride which is similar in stiffness to the Jackson freestyle and with the amount of skating I did I was able to break them in, in about 3-4 weeks but I weigh a bit more then you.

Hope that gives you some helpful information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
One downside to the Classiques (which were my first skates) is that the sole is PVC, which means that the blade can't be moved or replaced easily. Leather gives you more flexibility with that.

I've read similar comments from other posters on various forums.  And I don't understand the rationale.  What determines whether or not a blade can be readily repositioned or replaced is not the material that the sole is made of, but whether the blades are attached with rivets or screws.  According to the Jackson website, the soles of the Classiques are made of PVC, but the blades are attached with screws.  So you should be able to unscrew the existing blade and move it, or mount a new blade.  The old holes can be suitably plugged, and new holes can be suitably drilled, as with leather soles.  Leather has certain advantages, but it is not a particularly robust material for securing screws.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Any good pro shop that deals with hockey can move blades that are mounted with rivets.

But the tools to remove and re-apply rivets efficiently are expensive. Some pro shops don't have them. And some skate techs don't know how. There are some complicated alternatives, but it probably is better to just get boots with screw-mounted blades in the first place, because they are much easier to move.

Besides, figure skating boots with rivet-mounted blades are usually not very durable, because they are cheaply made.

Offline tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
Any good pro shop that deals with hockey can move blades that are mounted with rivets.

But the tools to remove and re-apply rivets efficiently are expensive. Some pro shops don't have them. And some skate techs don't know how. There are some complicated alternatives, but it probably is better to just get boots with screw-mounted blades in the first place, because they are much easier to move.

Besides, figure skating boots with rivet-mounted blades are usually not very durable, because they are cheaply made.

The issue is not whether riveted blades can be moved or replaced at all, but whether they can be moved or replaced "readily" (my words) or "easily" (skategeek's words).  There's also the issue of how much a hockey shop would charge for such a service, relative to the price of the skates, given that skates with riveted blades are typically el-cheapo to begin with.  You can also remove rivets yourself with a Dremel tool, if you know what you're doing.  But just not worth the effort for el-cheapo skates.

Also, skates with riveted blades tend to have thin soles; maybe too thin to secure screws, even if you removed the existing rivets (and who wants to go to the grief of reinstalling rivets?).

Your post reminds me of a Patent Examiner who rejected a claim for a new design of chair with detachable legs.  His logic was that the legs of any existing chair on the market can be detached ... with a saw.  ;)

Offline sampaguita

• Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »
I'm less than 5 ft, 43kg, and wearing Jackson Freestyles (now on my 2nd pair). I've tried the Classiques on but they're just not of the same quality. Further, having leather soles gives you more flexibility on blade alignment. Plus, the Freestyles are heat moldable -- I don't think the Classiques are.

When I got the Freestyles, I couldn't do any single jumps yet. They're initially stiff, but start with lacing only up to the second hook. Work your way up to the third hook (this can take 1-3 sessions), and finally to the fourth hook (may take more sessions, depending on your skate frequency).

I also have feet that are wide in the ball and narrow in the heel. I'm currently wearing stock boots, but would upgrade to semi-custom when I have the money.

tldr: go with the Freestyles if you can go with it :) But don't forget to go to a fitter so he can give you the right size. My first pair was too big, but it wasn't until I was working on back three-turns that I noticed it.

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
Mitsuki, I agree with sampaguita on the Jackson Freestyles.  My daughter was about the same height and weight as you when she was in the Freestyle skates with the Aspire XP blade and she just started working on her Axel when she outgrew them.  But otherwise they still gave plenty of support and the blade was decent.  I would recommend these as a good beginner boot/blade.

Best of luck and let us know how your skate search turns out.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 02:12:04 AM »
As mentioned above, go to a fitter.

Jackson Freestyles were not stiff enough for me, but I am MUCH bigger than you.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »
I agree with going to a good fitter (ask around for recommendations near you) and seeing what they say. I was in Jackson Mystiques to start with, that were a size too big, and the guy I went to, had me in Edea Overtures in the correct size. I'm the same height as you but a lot heavier (for the moment...) and he told me that the boots will basically see me through to doubles if I get that far, barring any unexpected problems. I got Coronation Ace blades so I'm pretty much set up for my skating life :)

One thing I love about the Overtures, is that I can move/change my blades, but it's not a leather sole, so I don't have as many worries about breakdown of the soles.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hwmsr

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
I am in a similar situation here, too. What did you get finally? Why not considering Riedell?

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
I am in a similar situation here, too. What did you get finally? Why not considering Riedell?

I don't know where the OP is, but she lists her weight in kg, so probably not the U.S.  Riedell are not ubiquitously available outside the states. In fact here in France, they thought they went out of business!!!