You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice in Halifax, NS?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
Ice in Halifax, NS?
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Anyone know if there are any freestyle or public sessions in Halifax, NS next week? We will be there for five days and since we've had no ice here since June....

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
Re: Ice in Halifax, NS?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
Check out http://www.smbskating.com/media/Brochures/2013%20smbsc%20school%20summer.pdf or
http://www.halifax.ca/skatehrm/calendar/

Just be aware that here in Canada typically public skating is just skating round the perimeter.  Most public skate sessions do not allow "figure skating". Belie me I have be asked to not even do cross cuts on public sessions.  I would check out the skating club link ned go through them.  Get in touch with the they MIT have some ticket ice which is basically public figure skating time. 

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »
I want to second the public skating warning.  I've never been to a rink in Canada that allows free skate on public.  It's strictly lap skating.  However, I've never been to NS so who knows.  Doesn't hurt to ask... just don't show up and expect to practice your camel spin :P
http://www.halifaxskatingclub.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »
I want to second the public skating warning.  I've never been to a rink in Canada that allows free skate on public.  It's strictly lap skating.  However, I've never been to NS so who knows.  Doesn't hurt to ask... just don't show up and expect to practice your camel spin :P
http://www.halifaxskatingclub.com/

Weird I went to one rink in BC where they didn't care on public, but it was a multi rink building and had all day public on one rink. And when there was two men and a dog on the ice (at most) they didn't worry about what you were doing. There wasn't even a guard, just a camera linked to the office. Admittedly I was on vacation and going skating in the middle of the day when everyone else was either at work or school.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:39 AM »
Thanks guys! SynchKat, I would never have found that rink without you!
I did wonder about the public skating since the only one I found required helmets--I figured they were expecting only hockey players.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
I would contact St.Margaret's Bay club, (which is Halifax area) I know the coaches there who are all super nice and I would actually email Charleen direct. They have adult skaters in their club.   

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »
I emailed Charleen and I am all set to skate on Friday! Yea!! She seems really nice.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »
Yay have fun.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
Excellent!  You're going to have a great time!

edit:  didn't realize you're American.  If you've never seen it, get someone to show you the Baby Blues, low level preliminary dance only done in Canada.  (aka, good edge stroking exercise  ;D )    And skills! You'll see new things!