You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fun moves you'd like to learn next?  (Read 8379 times)

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Fun moves you'd like to learn next?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
If your male coach has pairs or dance background and is still in good shape (lol lots of conditions), ask him! I think for the simplest lifts, your height of 5'8" should not be a problem, at skating galas we sometimes see guys lifting each other for fun :)  Ditto for basic death spiral, based on my observation a good male partner will make it happen :)

My coach is really a dancer and he's in great shape. I don't think asking him to lift me as a good idea, but last week an adult skater suddenly said, "Let's do some lifts" and picked me up. It was completely unexpected. We were doing off-ice exercises, weren't even on ice. Still I got scared to death (not for my safety but for his, because that skater isn't exactly young). so I screamed, "Oh, don't do it, I'm huge, I'm huge!" That was funny. I mean, I'm pretty slender, but the darned height ...

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
I'd quite like to try a shoot the duck - I can get low enough, but then I can't stick a leg out in front.

Might try again next time I'm on the ice.

Try it on both feet first, then lift one leg. It'll help: this is how I learned. Unfortunately, it's not translated into a low sit spin, at least, not in my case. :'(

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:43 AM »
I want to do ina bauer and hydroblades.  I'm working on both.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »
I agree that height doesn't matter. I'm also 5'8 and a friend and I have down 3 types of overhead lifts (axel, waist loop and forward press). It just means you have further to fall.; )

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
Wow, some of the goals on here are totally out of reach for me! I would love to be able to do better spread eagles. I can kind of do an inside one but it curves around in a pretty tight circle. They've really improved in the last month, though, so I'm optimistic. With outsides, I flip to the inside edge almost immediately.

A pancake spin. I can kinda sorta do a camel-back sit spin, but I'd like it to get a lot better. I love spin variations and working on new spins.

A Y spiral! Working on it...

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
Death drop and flying camel. 

Offline rinkrat

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 69
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »
twizzles, ina bauer, spread eagle, and backwards 3-turns.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
Emmanuel Sandhu recently returned to competition and reportedly did a "lovely F to B spiral sequence to spread eagle in the middle". I wonder how it looks like.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:42 AM »
Spreadeagles and Ina Bauers. :love:

I don't need them for a program but I'd love to have the option of using them sometime. ;D I used to do them as a kid. Most of my programs had a change of edge spreadeagle in them - the last one before I quit had a I to O spreadeagle into axel...

They've not really been on my radar much as an adult but with hoping to (finally!) start on a free dance program (which will need a combination pose) it would be nice to have more choice in which of the options I could do! At the moment I can only do a quite tight inside spreadeagle and my ina bauers suck... but I need to try them more frequently than once in a blue moon if I want to include them anytime soon! ;)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:57 PM »
Death drop is next on my spin list to learn as I already have a pretty decent set of spins incluing f/camel.   There are always one or two spins/positions that need help, but they're there.

I am also learning opposite to my comfortable side bauers which has been quite a challenge (but a lot of fun) and has taken some pressure off my cranky back (the time spent on these, I mean) and enabled me to loosen up and heal up.