You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Summer skating / training plans?  (Read 6528 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Summer skating / training plans?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
The goal is to test prelim dances (Dutch waltz, canasta tango, and rhythm blues) and pre bronze moves in the field at the end of summer test session.

Bronze moves will be a reach racing against time. I highly doubt there is time to get any pre bronze dances ready (cha cha or fiesta tango, swing dance is not even close), considering the holds change and higher expectations from judges compared to the first tests.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »
Why not?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
Why can't you test the two moves tests and the prelim dances?

I'm debating testing them myself.. I found out our test session isn't until August so I have some time to actually hire a dance coach (I already know the patterns, but partnering - YIKES) and work on them before the test session :)

If I do that, I'll be taking 6 tests at that test session.. two moves, a FS, and the 3 dance patterns.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
Well, I figure only to test what is rock solid as the nerves will factor in... But I have about a month and half or two months, lots could still happen! Getting partnering lessons at some point I s'pose.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »
Very exciting day...we did 2 rounds of the Tang Romantica...and they weren't half bad.  I was exhausted afterwards, my partner was too, but we got through it.  I just have to work on the start of the second side where the lady steps over the man's stretched leg.  I hve always had an issue with this step but finally figured out today that don't have to do a giant step over his leg.  Now to add a bit of style and I will be good to go.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
It's time for my rink's annual "end of summer exhibition" again. I did it last year, in preparation for Christmas show audition and thought it was fun!

I don't have a program this year but contemplate to swap the contents of my old program to suit the bronze FS test. The only problem is time. Next week I prepare for dance/moves test and then leave for a 10 day trip on west coast, the exhibition is 3 days after I come back home. The bright side is, where I stay is close to the Pasadena rink in California... To bring my skates or not bring my skates?

ETA: just signed up, will do the old program from last year and hope the sit spin is still around...

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
I've been going to two rinks this summer. One has good weekend freestyle hours, the other one, good evening weekdays. I just found out the weekday one is closing for two weeks to do maintenance, and it happens to coincide with me having guests or going out of town on weekends. So I may not get to skate for two weeks. Oh well.

Fortunately, my rink gets ice back the second week in August, and I'm taking a staycation that week and plan to do lots of skating.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »
Encouraged by the rink exhibition program last night, we decided to modify the program and test bronze FS... this month!!!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
Encouraged by the rink exhibition program last night, we decided to modify the program and test bronze FS... this month!!!

You are MORE than ready - you'll rock it!  I'm aiming for doing mine whenever the "next" club test session is, along with silver moves :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
You are MORE than ready - you'll rock it!  I'm aiming for doing mine whenever the "next" club test session is, along with silver moves :)

I surely hope so! Thank you very much for your kind words.

Silver moves test is big!!! If I manage to get ready this season, I'll probably test that by itself without distractions like FS or dance. How often do you have test sessions?