You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant  (Read 39613 times)

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
Re: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
There is a coach at my rink that actually tells her students that they DON'T have to move for anyone else, ever.   :o

Anyway, this is a rant on Clothing, skates, music, and equipment.  So I'll contribute and say that I hate when my gloves get holes in them.  I hate it so much that I will refuse to wear those gloves until I get around to mending the hole, which usually takes a while.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »
Amen on gloves, or when they get wet and you don't have a spare. Mine had a good pound of water in them last night.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
I carry spare gloves and spare socks, small things are easier to forget, espcially it's 90F out there! :P

I use my beaten up equipment until the last minute as long as no danger is involved, a little sewing can go very far!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »
I hate holes in my pants even more than holes in my gloves.  For years now, I've been wearing black tights so small holes in my pants won't show.  The first time I found a hole in my pants, pre black tights, I borrowed a black marker from the office, went in the ladies room, and colored my tights under the hole.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
I finally replaced a pair of under armour pants that was being held together by safety pins (10 of them!) after my mother mocked me.  She told me if I could afford the lessons, I should be able to buy new pants.  I got NY2Sportswear ones, and sadly they don't fit great :(  But neither do underarmour anymore.  I need to lose weight! Or get better at sewing.

Target Circo leggings were on sale yesterday for $3.99 (a dollar off!), but it turns out I don't fit into the 14-16 anymore :(  My old ones still fit nicely though, so I was bummed new ones appear to be cut skinnier.

Gloves with holes used to drive me crazy, but now the index finger of half my gloves has been cut off so that I can access the screen on my phone to play music and take video.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »

Target Circo leggings were on sale yesterday for $3.99 (a dollar off!), but it turns out I don't fit into the 14-16 anymore :(  My old ones still fit nicely though, so I was bummed new ones appear to be cut skinnier.

Yes I have noticed this in a lot of products. Since stuff is made out of house now, what happens is the lowest bidder gets a requirements document. They then cut clothes the cheapest way possible. This is why trousers don't fit many women anymore, the crotches are cut cheap vs 'right'. I found some panty hose in a drawer that were several years old (still in the box). I pulled on one pair and it fit fine. It's a size smaller than the ones I have to wear now, At some point someone decided to save 2 cents a pair.

My rant, skating has changed my butt. I have an hour glass figure and before I started skating I could find pants to fit me. Now that I skate I've got classic skater's butt. Apparently my legs are skinnier now than a year ago, but I've got muscles in my tuchus that make it impossible to wear anything without lycra in it. The only thing that's saving me from nudity is LL Bean and Eddie Bauer; both have deep lines for petites and a 'generous' fit in the hip area..
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:49 AM »
Add another vote for the holes in the glove fingertips. I threw a hissy fit at mine the other day and sewed up ALL the fingertips! Forgot to do the thumbs though, whoops.

Can I add, tights that make legs look orange are bleh.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
Mended the cuts and tears in boot covers. Wish the manufacturers take lunges into consideration and enforce those areas a bit! :P

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
[Parental rant]

Just when the boots are nicely broken in, the skills are suddenly progressing well:

"Mummy! Did you see that great [insert element of choice here]"
"Yes, I did! Way to go! You're doing great!"
"Mummy, my feet hurt. And my toes are very cold."

sigh. new skates needed. I think there is an evil skating gremlin out there ... and it lives in skating bags, waiting for that moment of accomplishment ... who then makes little feet grow instantaneously ...

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
My skate clothing rant is about skating pants.  I am tall, I am thin.  Large are not long enough and fit everywhere and XL are long enough but too loose everywhere else.  And I am 30, not 12 so I don't want a pair of Chloe Noel pants.  Ever skater at my rinks wears those pants.  I've changed to skating in shorts, tank top and a sports bra that is so tight it's hard to breath.  It's hard to hold these puppies down and not have bounce when I skate.  It's either bounce and get pre-mature sag or not breath and have perky chesticles.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
I know you don't want Chloe Noel- but I just got a pair from NY2Sportswear and they are some of the longest pants I've ever bought.  It's the same styling as CN, but you could just get plain black.  (I'm almost 30 and I like some of the simpler styles. All the 20 somethings wear over the boot leggings at my rink, not many of the kids do)

Are UnderArmour frosty tights too short for you? Those aren't quite as long as the NY2 on me, but they are super long for me too.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
I'm tall (5'8) and just got a pair of plain black Jerry's Shiver pants that fit me really well, so you could look at their styles, too.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
That would be 5 foot 8 inches tall.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
Aww thanks for the recommendations. I will look into these pants. I just skating stuff was cheaper!

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
That would be 5 foot 8 inches tall.

Yes, thanks. I had to rush off to tend to my offspring and never noticed the conversion to emoticon...

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 11:58:16 AM »
With my problem that some of you seem to have before with tights and the rolls it creates when you normally don't have any, well I tried the whole cutting the waist band off my tights and wow what a difference!  Perfect fit in the waist now.  I even torched the exposed unraveling stuff so that it would last.  I will do this to all my tights now.  WOOHOO!  Just had to say thanks to you ladies for this helpful bit of help.  I think I will take the tights to a seamstress to see if she can finish off the cut to avoid unraveling further instead of burning it. 

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
Adding my thanks, as well.
I've done it about 10 days ago for my ice dance test - cut off about 1/2 of the waistband - and it worked awesome!  2 pairs of tights on, no unsightly rolls.

With my problem that some of you seem to have before with tights and the rolls it creates when you normally don't have any, well I tried the whole cutting the waist band off my tights and wow what a difference!  Perfect fit in the waist now.  I even torched the exposed unraveling stuff so that it would last.  I will do this to all my tights now.  WOOHOO!  Just had to say thanks to you ladies for this helpful bit of help.  I think I will take the tights to a seamstress to see if she can finish off the cut to avoid unraveling further instead of burning it. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
After I finally survived sewing a matching glove for the costume I plan to wear next week, the costume disappeared altogether, probably from laundry couple months ago... :'( :'( :'(

I still have an OK black dress and need to find a glove that does not look like practice wear...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
Summer sources of magic gloves. Hey! i'm down to one gray glove and one pink/black striped glove, so I did an internet search

Varied colors scroll to the bottom of the page. Some 'baby gloves'. Include the rare colors: yellow and purple that I've never seen at the dollar store
http://www.missmomo.com/basic-basic.html  (edited)

For those of you wanting 'nude' gloves for testing (these are actually camel):
http://www.shopnational.com/p/Chenille-Magic-Gloves?trk=   (in chenille)
and
http://www.shopnational.com/p/Velour-Magic-Gloves?trk=   (in velour)

oooh, stripes!
http://www.justforponies.com/magicgloves.aspx

There are also places that sell them in bulk, if you want to buy for a team.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
I just bought some Mondor tights (OTB) and the waistband is just folded over...no bulge and no extra-tight elastic!

Fume/Rant: why is it the pattern i NEED for my new costume (yeah, for Sectionals/Nationals) is now OUT-OF-PRINT?????? I can't even find it on Ebay..... >:(
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »
I read on one page that Jalie is planning on putting it for sale as a download.  No idea how long that process takes.

You might try emailing them- they might be faster if they know there is interest. They are a small company, so could have good response, I don't know.

Also, 31 people have it stashed on pattern review.  Maybe try posting a "want ad" and see if someone will sell it to you...

If you are skilled enough, you can look at the shapes of the pieces and try drafting it yourself: http://www.agstextil.se/Jalie/2673.pdf
This is a canadian site that seems to have it in stock: http://edeesplace.com/page/ecom_catalog?pid=910 (I also found a Finnish site, but couldn't tell if it was for sale or not. I don't read finnish.)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
I read on one page that Jalie is planning on putting it for sale as a download.  No idea how long that process takes.

You might try emailing them- they might be faster if they know there is interest. They are a small company, so could have good response, I don't know.

Also, 31 people have it stashed on pattern review.  Maybe try posting a "want ad" and see if someone will sell it to you...

If you are skilled enough, you can look at the shapes of the pieces and try drafting it yourself: http://www.agstextil.se/Jalie/2673.pdf
This is a canadian site that seems to have it in stock: http://edeesplace.com/page/ecom_catalog?pid=910 (I also found a Finnish site, but couldn't tell if it was for sale or not. I don't read finnish.)
Wow! Thanks for the response!  Yeah, I could draft it....I am incompetent about that! I hate the trial-n-error; basically it's a v-neck design with "detail" around the neck..... I did check to see if it was available as a download, but it wasn't yet. They are a good company, I had to call them once about something and they were really nice.  So, here I go, clicking on the link you provided and I'm ordering it... ;D  Thanks!!!!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »

I've lost 3 pairs of gloves this week!  I don't even have a mismatched pair anymore. All  I have is a left glove left in my bag. What's happening? Are they taking a vacation with my socks that disappear from the dryer? Thank goodness it's summer as I'm now skating barehanded. (That remaining left glove is probably the unpopular glove that nobody called to let it know all the other gloves were playing hooky.)
Hey, the gloves are back from vacation!
They mysteriously reappeared over the last 3 days looking sheepish and a bit hung over , and silent on where' they've been. One turned up in a drawer (its mate is still in the skate bag) another pair in the linen closet, and the last pair was at the bottom of 30 gal rubbermaid storage box.

Anyway I'm just glad they're back.  I'm not going to kill the fatted calf or anything, but it's nice to have some gloves that match.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
but it's nice to have some gloves that match.

Gloves are supposed to match?   ;D
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
Gloves are supposed to match?   ;D

I've been skating in a light gray one, and a black/ pink stripes one. The color mismatch disrupted the balance of my skating. The universe was in disarray, the Force was not with me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.