You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant  (Read 39610 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Clothing, skates, music and equipment Rant
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
Somehow a lace hook on my boot punched through a lace, so that the lace was stuck on the hook.  I was afraid I would have to ask someone to cut me out of the boot, but I was able to break the lace off.  Now my lace is ruined after just two weeks.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
I have one lace that is 3 inches shorter than the other. Came in the same pack.

GRRRRR.  >:(
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »
I had the weirdest equipment issue the other day. (rant) I tied my skates and I happened to get my ankles, on both of them, just a little too loose. I had plenty of time before our session started, and thought to myself, "I will just re-snug both boots, a little, from the bottom up.". Best I can tell, because I basically never have fit issues with my skates, from the time I originally tied until the time I decided to snug them up more, the leather had warmed and started to get stretchy. We were also in the warm snack bar area. So when I re-tightened them, initially they felt snug but ok, but soon after I went into the cold rink, they must have cooled a bit. They clamped down on the tops of both of my feet like hounds from hell. What the heck? I tried un-tying and re-tying and could not get them right. Finally I figured out my warm/cold theory and decided to just pull both boots off for about 10 minutes. Precious skate time, but our session is 1.5 hours, thank goodness. I cooled my aching feet on the bleachers and let my skates cool too. When I put them back on, success! I had no clue that my skates were so temperature sensitive. What should have given me the first clue was that I ended up with twice as much lace as I normally do when lacing at my first "re-snugging" I feel for folks with fit issues now, it would be crazy frustrating to have that ongoing problem.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
I have/had a similar problem. My left boot always fits perfectly, the right boot is 'finicky in the heel' even after I had it rebuilt. I put both boots on, right boot first, then go back and retie the right boot.  Fits perfectly.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
I had the weirdest equipment issue the other day. (rant) I tied my skates and I happened to get my ankles, on both of them, just a little too loose. I had plenty of time before our session started, and thought to myself, "I will just re-snug both boots, a little, from the bottom up.". Best I can tell, because I basically never have fit issues with my skates, from the time I originally tied until the time I decided to snug them up more, the leather had warmed and started to get stretchy. We were also in the warm snack bar area. So when I re-tightened them, initially they felt snug but ok, but soon after I went into the cold rink, they must have cooled a bit. They clamped down on the tops of both of my feet like hounds from hell. What the heck? I tried un-tying and re-tying and could not get them right. Finally I figured out my warm/cold theory and decided to just pull both boots off for about 10 minutes. Precious skate time, but our session is 1.5 hours, thank goodness. I cooled my aching feet on the bleachers and let my skates cool too. When I put them back on, success! I had no clue that my skates were so temperature sensitive. What should have given me the first clue was that I ended up with twice as much lace as I normally do when lacing at my first "re-snugging" I feel for folks with fit issues now, it would be crazy frustrating to have that ongoing problem.

I have this issue to an extent but the opposite. I now tie my laces, step onto the ice, then almost immediately go to the hockey box to retie. I can never get it right the first time.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
RANT RANT RANT

My Risport RF2s have broken down.  Now it hurts when I land a jump.  The landing foot boot has a 5 cm crease. 

I got these boots six months ago and have skated about 100 hours in them.  They are marketed for triple jumps.  My highest jump is 1A.  Boots are costing me $6/hour.

Bonus:  state championships are in two weeks.