You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: You know you skate too much when...  (Read 46262 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: You know you skate too much when...
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
You know you skate too much when your new sharpener is worried about your opinion because he thinks you know what a 'good' sharpening should be like and he's afraid to disappoint you. (He was better than fine, he was great)

You know you skate too much when a friend calls out "Hey, you couldn't do that last year!" to some little thingy you did on ice.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
You know you skate too much when your new sharpener is worried about your opinion because he thinks you know what a 'good' sharpening should be like and he's afraid to disappoint you. (He was better than fine, he was great)

You're real lucky.  In my area, the supply/demand ratio for good sharpeners is highly biased in favor of the good sharpeners.  As a consequence, most develop diva complexes (or whatever the proper male equivalent is) and get ticked off to varying degrees if what you want is different from what they give you.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
You're real lucky.  In my area, the supply/demand ratio for good sharpeners is highly biased in favor of the good sharpeners.  As a consequence, most develop diva complexes (or whatever the proper male equivalent is) and get ticked off to varying degrees if what you want is different from what they give you.

My rink has a glut of decent sharpeners: one coach's mom, one male coach, and one male ice dancer. The male ice dancer does it as a service to the community and charges low. I can't judge the other sharpeners, but my old sharpener is USFSA choice for comps, worlds and the Olympics. However, it was 5 hours out of my day to get my blades sharpened. I just don't have that time anymore. The  new guy is just as good and picks up/delivers to the rink at the next day.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
You know you skate too much when your coach asks if you want to do additional off-ice class work with the expectation that you'll say yes ... because you always do.

(The only reason I didn't is that due to hockey, off-ice was moved to before LTS, the one kid that has just started coming to off-ice but not LTS didn't know so Coach was staying for her, and I honestly couldn't handle another minute of the giant electronic spin trainer of doom today. That, and I was starving.)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »
When you go on a weekend getaway and you can coordinate your ear bands to your outfits... and when you don't worry about losing a glove in a taxi because you have at least three more pairs in your skate bag at the hotel. My collection of winter accessories is almost embarrassing.