You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where to get fitted in South Jersey area  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Toepick

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Where to get fitted in South Jersey area
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Hi. I am an adult skater looking to buy my own skates. There are a couple rinks with pro shops in my area (Philly suburbs) but I don't know how knowledgeable the staff are about figure skates and fitting. They seem to be more hockey oriented. I can go to Philadelphia if I have to but would rather find a place closer. I remember a former instructor recommending Jacksons and from what I've read, probably the Classique or Freestyle. Can anyone recommend a place? Thanks!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Where to get fitted in South Jersey area
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
If you're willing to travel a bit I can recommend a couple of places in northern NJ.  The Edge Skate Shop in West Orange is good, and I've heard good things about the Ice House in Hackensack but I've never been there myself. 

I'm in Jackson Classiques myself; they're a good starter skate if they fit your feet.  I got them at the (mostly hockey) pro shop at my regular rink, and they're probably a bit too big but ok for now.  So if you have to work with the local hockey shop you'll probably be fine to get started. 

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »
There is a pro shop at the Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society in Ardmore PA. I have been to the rink/shop but never gotten skates there but know others who have.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
You may want to check with the Skating Club of Wilmington or the rink at the University of Delaware for recommendations.  Back in the '70s when I skated (as a lowly recreational student skater) at UDEL,  the coaches routinely send us to the pro shop at the Skating Club of Wilmington.  Since then, UDEL probably has cultivated their own talent, but since I  currently live in the Maryland suburbs of DC I don't know what's now cookin' in my old skating grounds--but depending on where in south Jersey you're located, those are two starting points.

Another Newark, DE location to skate (I know nothing about their pro shop or indeed the rink itself) is the Ponds Ice Arena:

http://www.thepondicearena.com/index.html 

I don't know anything about this rink other than they have a web site, and with UDEL and Skating Club of Wilmington so close at hand I'm surprised that the local skating population is big enough to support yet another rink!  Has anyone on this list skated at the Ponds?  If so, please report your impressions.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
My daughter skates at the Igloo in Mt Laurel. Thus far, she has been wearing gently used skates because she is only at basic 4/5 and its been a learning process. I know what styles (stiffness) she can wear and what size and width's in Jackson/Riedell.

I know Rocky Marval fits the kids that compete but I don't think they really do much for the adult recreational figure skaters (and he's nearly impossible to get a hold of).  They will however order them for you (have Jackson and Riedell) and if they don't fit, you won't be out the money. She also skates at Vorhees Skate Zone on weekends and they have a person there that is by appointment only (weekdays), the hockey skate guys won't touch the figure skates.

With Classique and Freestyle (IMO), there's not much to fitting other than making sure you get the right size and width. The rest is heat molding and punching out the leather where it hurts, been there done that!

When we get to $400 skates, we will then travel farther and make appointments. That's just my opinion.

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
There's a guy at Bethlehem Steel Ice Center who also goes to Protec Ponds who is awesome. Recently I thought dd would need new skates bc she said hers were bothering her and he said nope, she just has a wide foot and helped us fit hrs current skates appropriately.