You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The dress that pushed you over the edge...  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
The dress that pushed you over the edge...
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:25:44 AM »
Here's one for the DIY folks.  We sew, we stone, and sometimes things go awry.

Bad words are said, tears are shed, adult beverages are consumed, and every once in a while, things get tossed in the trash.  What dress/outfit/project pushed you to the brink?

We'll call my latest creation Frankendress.  It involved pattern pieces from 2 altered Kwiksew patterns, 1 Simplicity pattern, and a Specialty Skatewear pattern.  I liked the seaming and keyhole-style back of the Simplicity pattern (1354 for those interested) even though it was not for stretch fabrics, and thought that I could add long sleeves (it offered short), and that the waistline was condusive to adding a basic leotard bottom (used my altered Kwiksew).  I used an altered version of an altered Kwiksew skirt pattern to make the skirt (just laid it out to match the way the waistline was cut.)  This dress just shouldn't be... and yet it seemed like a good idea at the time.

First, the lovely navy blue stretch velvet (60% off!!!) was awful to work with (now I know why it was on sale!)  It shimmied, curled, and just wouldn't behave--never have had velvet this bad.  Whatever chemicals it was treated with has left my skin all red and irritated.

The bodice was fine, but the instructions for the bands at the top of the keyhole, the facings, and the sleeves actually took several evenings of thinking to figure out how it would go together.  Since this pattern actually had 3 variations on a theme, the instructions would refer back to what was done for different dresses, making it hard to follow the sequence.  The sleeve setup was unlike anything I've seen--who runs the seam down the outside of the arm???  Of course this was all before I had to make changes to get a long sleeve version.  This insanity resulted in the need to consume an adult beverage.

Finishing the bands at the top of the keyhole did me in.  The loops and buttons really didn't work for me (or the fabric I was using.)  Went through different sizes of buttons and different loops to get it to stay in place for the competition.  Left my hair down to cover that nonsense.  I'm going to be ripping this out and making it into a tie with embellished ends that will dangle down my back.

The only good thing was that I was able to eliminate the zipper from the original Simplicity pattern.  With the cut of the neckline and keyhole, I'm able to step into the dress.  I will be adding a small embellished "modesty insert" in the front so I don't feel as self-conscious doing a spiral (gotta keep things G-rated!)

This dress is going to continue to haunt me... for some reason, I keep putting it on backwards, and end up confused about why the bands don't meet in the back like they should.  (Yes, this caused minor panic attacks while sewing and fitting!)  Best of all... my hubby's first comment when seeing the dress on me?  "It's very blue."

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: The dress that pushed you over the edge...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »
Ooh Meli....sounds like an exercise in managing frustration. Glad you survived it, and hopefully the dress did what it needed to do. I'm guessing this us the competition dress from the other thread?

If we're going to do a dress-from-hell thread (which I think is a great idea, we all have them, or will), I think we need to see pictures.... ::>)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »
Agreed - you know you can't get away with posting about this without pictures :)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:58:59 AM »
It turned out ok from the front, but currently has the drunken buttons on the back.  It started all round, then rectangle, then added a round back for added security.  Note the deeper V-neck, which has me living on the edge :)

I think it needs some bling.  I didn't have time to deal with that (probably for the best) because I needed to get the darn thing wearable in a hurry.