You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Camps? Have you been what was your experience?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Skate Camps? Have you been what was your experience?
« on: February 27, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
We are looking into going to a skate camp. We are bases in Chicago but have looked at camps in LA, CO and NY.  Was wondering if anyone has had any experience good or bad with any camp they went to?  Thanks in Advance for the help and input.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Skate Camps? Have you been what was your experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »
When you say 'we' what do you mean? Are you looking for an adult camp or a kids camp.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
We the parents are paying for the kid to go to camp.  I am using the royal we. we are looking for camp for my daughter she has all her doubles and is juvenile MITF.  She skates solo and syncro.  she is 11.   

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:53 PM »
Well, I thought some other people would respond but since they haven't, I'll mention two things. First this is an adult skating board, so that explains why you haven't heard back about kid camps--although maybe someone will post.
Secondly, Lake Placid has both an adult camp and kid camp in August. You can go to the web site and check it out.
http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/programs/summer.php
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:32:29 PM »
I've been to Lake Placid but only as an adult.  I can't comment on the kids experience but I recall there were four rinks, lots of ice time (more than we could physically take advantage of), lots of off-ice classes, etc.  For the kids, it might be more structured.  There are periodic test sessions, and weekly ice shows.  I think they used to have a dorm-style housing option but I just looked and now it looks like it's completely parent-coordinated, so that may be a factor to consider (for example - do other camps house the kids on-site?/ are you/they dependent on car transportation, etc.)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
There are a couple of big training summer type programs for kids. The first has already been mentioned, and that's Lake Placid.  For the kids it runs all summer, and can be broken up how you wish. The Lake Placid skating website should have tons of information.

The second is the Colorado Springs/World Arena training camps. Again, runs much of the summer. Not sure if it's on the Broadmoor FSC site or the world arena site. Tom Z also has his own camp sometime in there, and has one as the U.S. Air Force Academy as well.

I've heard great things about the Grassroots 2 Champions "super camp" which is their longer version of their one and two day seminars.

I'd also look at some of the Canadian summer programs. There are great camps in Barrie, Toronto, and a few other places.

Not sure if Frank Carroll still does his at either Toyota in LA or his rink in Palm Springs, but that could be another option.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »
I did one week at the Toyota Centre in LA last year and worked primarily with Eric Millot. I landed my first clean double Sal with him, which made the camp for me.
The camp was good, but if you did not take private lessons It wasn't really worth it, which made it be much more expensive than I had originally calculated.

Frank Carroll does work with the camp, but he is tends to focus on skates with a Double Axel or greater.  And You need to book private lessons with him WELL in advance.  As is the case most of the kids are super bratty and overly competitive.  I got a lot of " Aren't you too old to skate?" questions and looks both from skaters and parents. I'm not planning on going back this year, but it was a good experience overall.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »
Sorry i did not know this was an Adult Board.  My error thank you all for your input and replies.  I have lurked for awhile and gotten some great info and insights.  I guess I will go back into the shadows.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
One of the moms was talking about a camp at Shattuck the other day.  I don't think it had dorm housing since she was looking at hotels or it may have had dorm housing but she's not going that route (her skater is 10)

http://www.s-sm.org/summer-programs-camps/figure-skating-camp/

One of the coaches at our rink has worked there and had recommended it. 

I can only speak for myself but I wasn't offended that you posted asking about kid camps, just not sure initially which you were looking for and then I wouldn't know about the kid camps.  While my daughter and I both skate-she's not really at the point where we would look at camps other than those held at the local rink.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
Scamper -

This is NOT an adult board - but it is true that there are a lot of adult skaters that post here.

There are also parents of skaters and people that really don't have anything to do with skating besides just liking skating or watching figure skating on TV!

Please do not go hide in the shadows!

I think the camps can be a lot of fun for the kids - you didn't mention which ones you were thinking about - maybe that could help people determine what might be right for you.

When I was a kid - and skating - we didn't have ice in the summer and so I went "summer skating" in another city - for a month - it wasn't a camp exactly but it was a great experience and I had a lot of fun meeting skaters from all over.  It's an experience I will never forget actually - and that was over 45 years ago!

Good luck with your skating and HAVE FUN!!!

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »
Thanks I am much more comfortable in the shadows, But to your question your are right we are looking at St Mary's in Minnesota, Summer of Excellence in LA the Frank Carroll Camp Mentioned in a previous reply.  I have heard about but not yet researched a camp in Colorado.  So I was just looking for skaters or parents/guardians experiences. she went to Miami of Ohio we were not overly impressed.  Yes she is competitive (I hope this is not just a parent talking) but I do not think overly so.  We will not push her and have no aspirations for her other then to give her every opportunity to excel at something she seems to love. If tomorrow she walks in and said I am done I would be fine with that (provided we did not just buy new skates within 2 months of that declaration) so I am looking for something that will push her to be better at this but be fun and social.  I maybe asking too much.  If anyone has thoughts or suggestions just let me know. All input is appreciated.  TIA

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »

This is NOT an adult board - but it is true that there are a lot of adult skaters that post here.

Agreed - the only reason you were asked, is that recommendations are simply going to be "different" depending on whether they are for a young competitive skater, or an adult.  Lots of adult skaters do post here, but there are also lots of skating parents that do as well, and it's just helpful to know which you are, so that you can get advice that applies to your situation.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »
I am a parent of two skaters so I will share.  It really depends on what you are looking for your skater. A busy camp, a babysitting camp,  a camp to skate a bit and then sight see, a  sleep away camp. All different.
We have attended Grassroots to Champions. Great people, but we really were looking for someone to help with programs and just didnt get that.Nice experience, but spendy after you add private lessons. But we really loved the staff. She really does care and they do a great job.

Its really hard if you go somewhere and they teach totally differently than your normal coach.
We have heard good about Tom Z AF camp, and Summer of excellence. We have also heard not so good. same with St Marys.
Imo the best place might not be in camp per se, but just a training place where there are others her level and above unless you are already in that sort of rink. We go somewhere to train during the summer that offers group classes but it isnt a camp setting. My kids are competive .
I dont know if that helps or not, good luck!

Offline pompeiii

• Beware the Bars of Death!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
University of Delaware has a summer skating school program as well. Housing is available in the dorms. I don't know too much about it, but here's some info:

http://www.udel.edu/icearena/figureskating/summerschool.html

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
I am an adult skater and the mother of a now adult skater who skated as a kid (graduated in 2012).

Our camp experiences have been with Grass Roots 2 Champions and another camp.  I wouldn't recommend the second because my daughter went there primarily for dance. She enjoyed the Grass Roots 2 Champion camp.  I myself took their weekend seminar back a few years back (primarily focused on jumping). We also know people that go to Shattuck's St. Mary's yearly.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
How long do you want to go? Do you want her to stay at a dorm setting or are you going to stay as well?

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »
a Week or maybe 2 weeks would be preferred and we are looking for an overnight experience.  A dorm maybe fine but I think we would go with and stay in a hotel. But she is comfortable at overnight camp

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
Grassroots is  only a week  so maybe Delwares or lake Placid. We personally go to Salt lake  :) I think sun valley  has something as well.

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »
Thank you I will look into Salt Lake. Personally I love the area!