You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What dress for this style of music?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
What dress for this style of music?
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »

It's a younger skater so I'm thinking black might not be the right color even though the music is darker.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: What dress for this style of music?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
What about a rich dark blue (not midnight, which is almost devoid of color) with tiny silver dots or stars?

What about sapphire blue? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%28color%29

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

It's a younger skater so I'm thinking black might not be the right color even though the music is darker.

This is a pretty widely used piece of music, and I've seen quite a few young kids skating to it.  Purple would be fine, or dark green or red - although I'd probably do a bit of a counter-effect by not making the costume dark and sombre. It'll also depend on the parts that you cut ... some of it is quite bouncy and not dark at all, in which case, a lighter costume would be fine.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
Mmm, love this music. Not a mom, but it makes me think of a red dress with touches of yellow or gold trim and a black underskirt.  It is 'dangerous' music. It need a touch of the night in the costume.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Just my thoughts on what would match this kind of music. The music is a bit heavy for a younger skater, but if she likes the music, then go for it.

Remember seeing a sunset on a somewhat cloudy day ? Remember the color combination at twilight ? Most of the sky would be dark blue, but some of the clouds around where the sun went down would still be light or dark gray, but tinged with pink or orange. Plus the horizon where the sun went down would still be medium blue. Now can you find a dress that has the colors blended together, similar to tie dyed material. Except the blended colors would be the colors of the twilight, namely predominately dark blue with an area of lighter blue here and there, but accented with strips, or small rivers, of pink, orange, and light and / or dark gray. Maybe there would be a half moon patch of yellow to mark the sliver or crescent of the sun. This is what I think of when I hear that music.

You are to be commended on trying to match her skating dress to this somber or darker kind of music. As an  ISI judge, I see some simply awful ' music to dress color / style ' matches, like one time I saw a little girl skater wearing a skating dress that made her look like a Renascence princess, but her freestyle music was country / western.  
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
We might not be able to get a match of music with dress.  I'm keeping an eye out.  Her dress is a royal blue for next season - I really thought it would be a different piece of music at the time I ordered the dress.

We'll see what I can find used from friend's closets!  Dd gravitates towards powerful dark music.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
We might not be able to get a match of music with dress.  I'm keeping an eye out.  Her dress is a royal blue for next season - I really thought it would be a different piece of music at the time I ordered the dress.

We'll see what I can find used from friend's closets!  Dd gravitates towards powerful dark music.

You could do royal blue - why not? Or is it a fluffy dress?  If the style is clean and unfussy, you could get away with it; add some dark trim or some gold appliques to make it more formal - ?

Our choreo deliberately programs against preferences at the younger ages ... she wants the kids to learn to skate against their preferred style while it's still a low-risk situation .. so that they learn to work with a variety of music.  She'd probably give your kid what we call "elf music"!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
ha ha!  Elf music!  :D light and airy was on the list, her coach makes the final choices.  If I can't find a dress, I'll use the blue.  It is a very neat/tailored looking dress - not fluffy.  I don't think I can add anything - it is a finished dress (crystals/etc are already on it).

Her artistic program will be different from what she has ever skated to before.  It will give her stretch.  And it will give her a chance to perform 2xs instead of doing her 90 seconds and being done... kind of makes the freestyle less of a do or die. :sweat  But for that I am going to go with a really simple plain dress and just add some crystals.

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
I don't know if it's an advantage or just makes it harder, but as a musician I always think of the program of the music with tone poems like this. So this one is witches and demons dancing on a dark mountaintop, ending as the sun rises. That would guide my dress search. There's a good program with this music on icenetwork from regionals. PM me if you want more info.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
The music speaks to me of winds, storms etc (love it BTW).

I don't know how old your DD is or her colouring, but if she's a fast "light" skater and old and tall enough to carry it off, maybe try shades of silver grey, dusty dark blue, purple and navy with a shredded asymmetric chiffon skirt and lots of scattered plain clear diamantes.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
The music speaks to me of winds, storms etc (love it BTW).

I don't know how old your DD is or her colouring, but if she's a fast "light" skater and old and tall enough to carry it off, maybe try shades of silver grey, dusty dark blue, purple and navy with a shredded asymmetric chiffon skirt and lots of scattered plain clear diamantes.

I agree with this... in fact I think a dress similar to this would work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ICE-SKATING-TWIRLING-BATON-DRESS-CHILD-12-14-/230692877398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b65df456#ht_500wt_1287

I personally love this dress. We thought about using it for my 13 year old's "color's of the wind" program but went with something different. The colors are light enough for a younger skater. I love this seller. Her prices jumped though. I still love this dress!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ICE-SKATING-TWIRLING-BATON-DRESS-CHILD-12-14-/230692877398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b65df456#ht_500wt_1287

I personally love this dress. We thought about using it for my 13 year old's "color's of the wind" program but went with something different. The colors are light enough for a younger skater. I love this seller. Her prices jumped though. I still love this dress!

What a gorgeous dress!  You're right that the colour (as opposed to shades of grey) would work for an early teen.  It might be a bit backless for a preteen though.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
What a gorgeous dress!  You're right that the colour (as opposed to shades of grey) would work for an early teen.  It might be a bit backless for a preteen though.

I agree... I asked this seller if she would modify the dress for my daughter and she said she would. The fabric is also not sheer, it's a thicker fabric. STILL it would give the illusion of being backless. This seller is great to work with.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »
Love this music.  In fact it was part of the last freedance I did with my brother.  My dress was black velvet with mock turtleneck, deep back and gold accents.  Loved tha tdress.

For a child I think dark purple or a nice crimson would be nice.  I see a sleeveless, high neck dress with a flowy skirt (bear in mind I was an ice dancer so I always see flowy skirts).  Kind of understated since the music is so dramatic.  But then again I can only picture a variatino of what I wore when I skated to this music.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »

I personally love this dress. We thought about using it for my 13 year old's "color's of the wind" program but went with something different. The colors are light enough for a younger skater. I love this seller.
 I still love this dress!

I personally love this dress, too. The pattern of the color swirls is about, or similar to, what I was trying to describe in my earlier comment, although nobody acknowledged or commented on my observation.
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:26 AM »
I am on the look out for a different dress, but haven't made any decisions yet.  I am thinking if I need a new one, I am going to look in the used market first.  But I love all the ideas.