You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How much have you paid for private lessons as a non competitive mature adult?  (Read 5809 times)

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
Say, over the age of 35. Curious to know if there's an average...and I know it's generally less about what level and age you are, and more about what level the coach teaches at! Include your coach's competitive background if you think it's relevant. My area has a five time US champion in ice dance and an eight time British men's champion, and I always wonder what they charge compared to coaches who never made it to the national level.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Most coaches charge all their students the same price.  The cost of coaching depends on the cost of coaching in your area more than anything else.

The quality of a coach has little to do with their competitive record.  I have known a world champion who was a bad coach, and poor skaters who were good coaches.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
I feel very strongly that which coaches are best for you depends a lot on your personal learning style. For most of us, that is more important than competitive record.

Generally speaking, the skaters with the most impressive competitive careers are able to charge the most. For some crazy reason, I used to take lessons from a 4th place Olympic ice dancer - I think he charged $80/hour (in half hour increments), about 10-12 years ago. That was the highest rate of any ice dance coach in the DC area. Most of the DC area coaches charged $60-$72/hour (and still do). My favorite coach didn't have such an impressive record, but only charged $50/hour (also in half hour increments). She was a much better coach FOR ME. The more impressive skater was very good at demoing, but his English was terrible, and he also couldn't explain things well. I need fairly good demos, but I also need guidance, words, analysis, and physics-style explanations, all of which the less impressive skater was very good at. It was also much better, at least for ice dance, to have an opposite-gender coach who could comfortably dance with me, as a male.

Like nicklaszlo said, payment rates vary a lot by geographic area. Expect to pay (a lot) more in the big cities with a lot of wealthy people. DC has moderately high priced coaches, but not the highest. So don't take the rates I just cited as applying to your geographic area. It might even be worth traveling to a different rink for your lessons - but be sure to count all travel costs.

You can't generalize from competitive record, BTW. Not all great athletes are bad at teaching less-than-stellar athletes. I took lessons from a world class whitewater kayaker who was very good at teaching students with many different learning styles - one of the best teachers I have had in any subject, not excluding college professors.

BTW, some (not me!) of the people who post here often are skating coaches.

You could always ask that champion ice dancer what he/she charges. But they may charge you more than what they would charge an elite student, because they want to be known as the coach of other champions.

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'

You could always ask that champion ice dancer what he/she charges. But they may charge you more than what they would charge an elite student, because they want to be known as the coach of other champions.

Yeah, the other thing with coaches with an impressive competitive career, is that I just assume they don't coach just anybody. As in, no beginners, only skaters interested in competing, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, the ice dance champion I referenced is a woman, and so am I. She is married to another competitive ice dancer (not her partner), who was  coaching and directing at another rink near me, and who I was mentally considering once I finish freestyle/switch to dance, but he seems to have left the business altogether. There is another male ice dancer (Juniors natl champion) at a rink in my metro area, but it's too far to get to regularly/easily.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
For Columbus, Ohio, here's a page that lists the cost per hour for different coaches. You can compare credentials and other info in the right column. The hourly charge for instruction is listed under their name and contact information.

https://www.thechiller.com/?pageName=page&pageid=39

Edit: I see that not all the coaches list their hourly rate. Most do though.
Bill Schneider

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
There are 2-3 "competition seasons" in the US. 

Elite international skaters aside:

1. The lower-level competitors prepare their programs in January-March, compete from March-September.
2. The higher-level competitors prepare their programs in the late Fall, work on them/test/compete through September, then compete in the qualifying competitions from October-November, hopefully making it to Nationals in January/February.
3. The Adult qualifying skaters prepare programs in April/May, work on them/test/compete through February, then compete at Sectionals in March and Nationals in April.

This is why coaches often opt to focus on one "track" of skaters, partly because focusing is easier than changing hats every day, but also because all their skaters are on the same schedule, so to speak.  Other students get annoyed when a coach is out of town for competitions throughout their preparation period.  The lower-level skaters who aren't competing really want regular lessons, not 2-3 week gaps while the coach travels.

Just giving a different perspective.  I'm at a disadvantage as a former ISI skater who started as a teenager.  (No choice: only game in town. Literally.)  I do not charge as much as the coaches who are former skaters.  I charge more than the skaters who "grew into" coaching by being low-level skaters that teach LTS classes.  However, I regularly pursue educational opportunities and strive to improve my knowledge and skill set as a coach. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
$25 - $35. When I go to Lake Placid I've had some $45-50 lessons with good coaches.

I once took a fan lesson with Paul Wylie and I don't remember how high it was.

I'm 67, slow and beset by injuries. My coach and I are dedicated to footwork and spins. I'm not even bothering to think about testing. I'm there to keep myself in shape. There's some sweet moments when my doctors talk about how I'm among their fittest patients--including the much younger adults.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Only 2 of our 3 coaches are qualified to teach one to one. They both charge the same £17 per half hour. My 2nd coach only teaches groups right now due to the qualification thing, he charges £7 per person, per half hour. I also have a small group lesson with my main coach and 3 other skaters, and he charges the same.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'

I once took a fan lesson with Paul Wylie and I don't remember how high it was.

Okay, I'm really envious of this. How did this opportunity come about? Was he doing a clinic?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
Okay, I'm really envious of this. How did this opportunity come about? Was he doing a clinic?

He teaches at lake placid adult skate camp. He used to spend a week but now it’s only a day or two
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline OldGuyDown

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: How much have you paid for private lessons as a non competitive mature adult?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 12:38:28 PM »
My coach charges $30 for a 1/2 hr. session for moves/freestyle training.
I think that is pretty standard in western Pennsylvania.

Hope that helps
Hess FSC Western Pa.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
Re: How much have you paid for private lessons as a non competitive mature adult?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
dup deleted