You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training and injury questions  (Read 3801 times)

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
Off-ice training and injury questions
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
Hello everyone. I get a lot of messages from forum members about specific injuries, rehab, and training techniques, or just general questions about Sk8Strong programs. I always like to share information with everyone, so post your questions here, and I will try to answer!
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Off-ice training and injury questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »
OK, I'll try to get this started. Not sure this is really the best place for this question.
I've just started working on my back sit spin, but before I get down very low (on or off ice) I find my inner quad on my free leg is starting to cramp/pull and the pain stops me trying to go lower. Any ideas as to what is happening and what I should be trying to do to stretch/strengthen it?
I don't remember ever having the problem with my forward sit so don't know what I should be trying to avoid the problem.

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
That's an interesting one. Is it definitely inner quad, or your hip adductor? You could be weaker on that side, in either the quad or your glute medius. If the glute isn't strong, then it changes the mechanics of how your hip and knee bend, putting too much stress on the other muscles. How low are you when it starts to hurt?

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »
On my left leg I've been having problems with, alternately, my Achilles tendon and knee, as well as hip. Once both my knee and Achilles  bothered me at the same time on the ice.

I've been taping my Achilles with athletic tape-- is that a good thing to do? (I also have been trying to stretch my quads and calves more often).

For my knee I use a neoprene sleeve when it bothers me (it's really very off and on, but when it does hurt it feels like it's in the patellar tendon area/under the kneecap). I've been able to jump pretty well with the sleeve on.

Is this probably an issue of this being my weaker side (I'm right-handed, and tend to feel stronger on that side), since it's all on the same side?

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a future physical therapist assistant and always fascinated by injuries and rehab.
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »
@WaltzJump413:  If you are experiencing problems at several joints on the same side, it is very likely to be from a combination of some of these: strength imbalances, flexibility imbalances, foot pronation, or leg length discrepancy.  I probably wouldn't opt for the neoprene sleeve, but I would try some kinesiotaping for patellar tendonitis or patellofemoral syndrome. You can easily search for them on youtube.  Kinesiotaping is also preferred for the achilles- works wonders!

But the best thing to do is get evaluated by a PT, especially because you have several things going on!

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice, rsk8d! I really appreciate it. :)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:29 AM »
That's an interesting one. Is it definitely inner quad, or your hip adductor? You could be weaker on that side, in either the quad or your glute medius. If the glute isn't strong, then it changes the mechanics of how your hip and knee bend, putting too much stress on the other muscles. How low are you when it starts to hurt?

I pulled either my glute medius or piriformis on the side with the spasm a year ago, so that could possibly explain the pain. I'm aware there's something else also weak on that side because on certain exercises in pilates I can put an outer hip muscle (never quite been identified despite much hunting - just under the hip bone) into spasm. But as this is an inner muscle I found it strange.
In terms of height, I'm probably only at about half sit height, so not that low at all.
(and I know I'm falling apart!).

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »
Is it possible that a a hard impact could have caused a loss in flexibility?

I am a really hard fall a few months back, where I fell almost directly (i.ewithout even touching ice first) onto my outer thigh. I had a giant buirse that extended all the way down my  left thigh. And it was swollen for three to four weeks, since then I have noticed that my flexibility on my left side has decreased greatly, .my left side was already significantly less flexible than my right. Will I be able to regain that lost flexibility?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
@PhysicsOnIce Definitely! The fibers in a muscle run parallel to each other, which allow you to lengthen them while stretching. When a muscle is injured, those fibers become 'jumbled', and can develop adhesions or scar tissue when they heal. This can cause tightness in the area, and lack of flexibility. The best thing you cando is massage and foam roll, and continue to stretch.ch.