You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hip/tailbone protection- McDavid padded shorts  (Read 5632 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Hip/tailbone protection- McDavid padded shorts
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
I finally decided to invest in some protection for hips/tailbone (I'm working on spins more than I have been; I figure it's only a matter of time…).  I just bought McDavid padded shorts (http://www.skate-buys.com/parodesh.html), made for roller derby so they're fitted for women, unlike some of the other products out there.  I'll report back about fit, etc. once they arrive but thought I would go ahead and post about them now in case anyone else is interested since it appears they've been discontinued and some stores are already out of stock.  I know there are other products out there, but for me this one seems to have the best combination of low profile, light protection, and easy of use (I'm too lazy to wrestle with the SkatingSafe pads) that I was looking for.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Hip/tailbone protection- McDavid padded shorts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »
Please report back.  They look good!  Wonder what the material is.  Nice price but they don't have my size.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I saw conflicting reports online about how the sizing runs… crossing fingers that I got the right size.

Offline pamiam

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
I've had these for a couple months. I like them because the hex pads are thin and flexible, and the last thing I need is more junk in the trunk. I found them at a Roller Derby store, and they only had large & small, so I got large but medium probably would've been perfect. I wear them between my tights and pants, which are usually lulu wunder unders, and ended up cutting off the waistband because it was a bit big. As far as protection goes, I've definitely noticed a difference as they do absorb some of the impact on falls I've taken. I got them to help me get past the fear of FO brackets and counters when my feet seemed to be flying out from under me all the time. :o

Soooooo much better than my old school Jan-Pro Krash diaper!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
Thanks!  That's good to hear.  I know they aren't as thick as some of the other things out there and therefore don't provide as much protection, but then again, they aren't as bulky. 

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
@pamiam do you usually wear a medium?  I'm afraid large will be too big.  I always wear medium.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline pamiam

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
Yes, I'm usually a medium. I did try on the small and even though they fit, they were much shorter and I was afraid they'd be riding up all the time!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »
I have these shorts (and also McDavid knee pads and elbow pads).  Everything is great!   I have fallen on all of them and they work very well!

The shorts do ride up, so I wore mine over CWX compression leggings and under Chloe Noel skating leggings. The shorts then slide over the compression tights and are less annoying.
I got medium (wear a small in everything otherwise) and they fit well.

For knee pads I got 2XL (their largest size)!   They are very tight and for volleyball you want them fitting snugly, but for skating not so much. Anything smaller than this and they dug in hard into the leg, causing "stuffed sausage" look. I wear them on my bare skin under all the tights.

Elbow pads are great the way they are sized.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
Bad news/good news here… I ordered them from one company and heard nothing.  Didn't get the usual shipping confirmation e-mail and contacted them to see what was up.  Still nothing.  Waited a few days and contacted them again (after I saw that my card had already been charged), and they replied immediately and said that they were out of stock and had been having trouble reaching the manufacturer.  They were finally told that it was discontinued, and they credited my account.  (I had suspected this might happen, because I was having trouble finding them at other sites, and the McDavid site no longer listed them at all.)  However, I found another site that listed them as being in stock, ordered, and they're supposedly on the way.  So if anyone is interested, Sin City Skates (primarily a derby place) has them on sale for $30 plus shipping ($45 total).

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Hip/tailbone protection-other short/padding options?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »
I fell hard on my tailbone at the beginning of May, and it STILL hurts (albeit a bit less). 

So I am now also in the market for some bum protection.  I've been perusing the roller derby forums also, looking for what works.  These McDavid shorts get mixed reviews as far as padding level, so I'm curious as to how they ultimately work out for you.  But since they're discontinued I need to find an alternative anyway.

I've been looking- the derby dedicated and figure dedicated ones seem bulky, and tbh a bit lacking in the tailbone bit.  But maybe looks are deceiving, and they really do cover enough???  Se-Ku, which claims they are not currently making products (!!!) are still available in the UK and super expensive, but contain the D30 stuff.

So, what I'm wondering, is D30 really all that and worth the cost?  I'm well endowed back there, and don't need to make my bum look any bigger.  Frankly I don't want to go through this again, so the bulk is deffo a secondary concern.  My real concern is does all that foam really do the job, or is D30 the way to go, or a mix?

Kinzie's closet has a range of protection options from "visco elastic foam" to "medical grade gel".  They have a coccyx specific pad that you tuck into your tights and of course these:

http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Padded-Skate-Shorts-Silver-Lining-SilverLiningShorts.htm

Plus there are the Sagester and Jerrys models that are more bulky on the tailbone although don't cover much more real-estate.

The derby girls seem to like this:

http://bruisedboutique.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=519

and these get good reviews too:
http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Eight-Roller-Derby-Bumsaver/dp/B0091PAYUG

Some wear them in conjunction with the clip on tailbone pad from bruisedboutique.  Those girls are serious!!!

What is your collective experience?  If you wear such creatures, what do you like and what would you look for?

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
I've just ordered a pair of the McDavid shorts from Sin City as I need some padding, and really don't like the Jerrys shorts. If you order from Sin City you can use code FREEFB to get free shipping on items over $25.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
I've just ordered a pair of the McDavid shorts from Sin City as I need some padding, and really don't like the Jerrys shorts. If you order from Sin City you can use code FREEFB to get free shipping on items over $25.

Drat, wish I'd known that!  Oh well.

Mine still haven't arrived… curious to see how they work out, but the Triple Eight ones look promising, too.   I'm not doing anything fast, and no jumps or anything, so I'm ok with just light/moderate padding for now.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
According to their FB page they are moving the store to some major roller event from July 12-30 so no orders will be processed at that time, but hopefully we got in before that - I emailed them to check.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
Shipped July 1, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Tracking shows it at my local USPS sorting facility, so that seems likely.  Hopefully you'll get yours soon too!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
I'm not doing anything fast, and no jumps or anything, so I'm ok with just light/moderate padding for now.

Except that when I fell, I was just sort of standing in place messing around a little (we were planning/playing with some headbanging for our end of season gala performance) and I just slipped off the back of my  blades.  No jumping or fast moving.  Just stupidity.   :blush:  Man it hurts still.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »
Except that when I fell, I was just sort of standing in place messing around a little (we were planning/playing with some headbanging for our end of season gala performance) and I just slipped off the back of my  blades.  No jumping or fast moving.  Just stupidity.   :blush:  Man it hurts still.

Ouch!  Point taken.   :)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
Shipped July 1, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Tracking shows it at my local USPS sorting facility, so that seems likely.  Hopefully you'll get yours soon too!

Fingers crossed. They haven't replied to my email asking if the order would be delayed yet, and I really need them to be shipped in the next day or two.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
I got my shorts. They seem a bit big, but better that than too small, and the fabric does feel a bit slippery-ier than I was hoping for. The fabric is less slippery than the Jerry's ones so I'm hoping they'll work, but it's a few weeks before I can actually test them out.