You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: sewing request please  (Read 2896 times)

Offline ChillyMum

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
sewing request please
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Hi I am a lurker on this board as I am in the UK. I regularly post on the uk forum but thought this site would get more traffic.

Can anyone e-mail me a sleeve pattern (preferably Jalie) with the point at the end and finger loop and instructions how to do it please. I have several patterns but they all end straight at the wrist.

If you can help send me a pm.

TIA :love:

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: sewing request please
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
I don't have a pattern but I had the same question.  I ended up winging it.  You want to err on making the sleeves too long, not too short, and just add a vee to the straight sleeve pattern.  I looked at a photo of a dress with the proper shape to help me alter the pattern shape.  I will say it took me 4 hours to get the length right (and you have to try the dress out on the ice to make sure you get the proper length/tension with the way you skate).  As for the finger loop, I just used some really skinny elastic.  I tried to dye it close to my skin color in a tea bath.  I just hand-stitched that to the point and I made it a little loose.  It was a very fiddly process.

Offline mljohnson

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
I have a Jalie pattern with the sleeve you want but in paper format. How can I give you a copy?  Do you want a descriptive with pictures and measurements?

Offline ChillyMum

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:58:12 AM »
Thank you to the people who replied to me, I now have a dress pattern with the sleeve I was looking for.

But now I've ordered the new pattern from Jalie which I'm totally in  :love: with. It's called Carmen, can't remember the number, it has pointy sleeves with a finger loop and NO arm seam. How excited am I  ;D Just have to sit still and wait for it to be delivered in the post.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
Thank you to the people who replied to me, I now have a dress pattern with the sleeve I was looking for.

But now I've ordered the new pattern from Jalie which I'm totally in  :love: with. It's called Carmen, can't remember the number, it has pointy sleeves with a finger loop and NO arm seam. How excited am I  ;D Just have to sit still and wait for it to be delivered in the post.

That pattern looks interesting.  I'm curious as to how the seamless sleeve works in real life.  When you get done with it, would you post some photos please?

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I've made seamless sleeves by altering a pattern. If you check out Brad Griffies, his dresses are done that way. I don't think I would bother if the sleeves were a solid fabric, but it is so much prettier with mesh sleeves not to see that dark seam. It wastes a bit more fabric because the front/back yokes and sleeves are all cut as one on a fold.

As for the sleeve point, if you square off the point, narrow hem the sleeve, then fold the squared off part around the elastic loop (or make your own by sewing a narrow tube of skin colored mesh), it is less fiddly and more secure. I cut my sleeves long, have the skater try it on, extend her arms and then mark them. It's an extra step but ensures they are perfect. I like to do a try-on before I put attach the skirt, lining, and leg elastic in so I can easily make final adjustments, so that's when I mark the sleeves.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:27:08 PM »
... it is so much prettier with mesh sleeves not to see that dark seam.....

This, I agree with.  On the pattern jacket the model has A LOT of wrinkles around the armpit area.  I imagine that's the trade-off, and probably not so noticeable in use since none of us stand like that all the time.  But my biggest pet peeve is when a skater/dancer/gymnast stretches her arms out in a T-position and there is a lot of extra material/too long armscye, so the dress stands out far from the body at that point. I've seen a few dresses recently that caught my eye on that point (and not in a good way).  It's more noticeable with the flesh/transparent fabrics since you can see the real body line through them.  ...hmmm does that make sense? I hope I explained that well.....

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Yep, pet peeve of mine too. Like you say, the armscye is too big, I also think having a bodice too wide can contribute to the problem. Sometimes it is a matter of making the same pattern more then once - a practice dress with inexpensive fabric works wonders for getting a pattern just right. The creasing under the arm when arms are down seems to be a part of this style and I don't know a way around that. Once the arms are extended that area should smooth out. I was trying to find a good picture of DD wearing her last dress as an example, but I can't.

Offline ChillyMum

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 04:38:20 AM »
The pattern (3465) arrived this week. I've read through the instructions, got stumped and e-mailed Jalie. I have to say Jalie were brilliant: explained all the bits I didn't understand and with pictures.

This dress is going to take a lot of elastic. There is one massive loop all a round the body plus neck elastic and 2 pieces going down each side of the back.

I'm going to have to lengthen the body because Mini is the height of 13 year old but as slim as a 10/11 year old. She is one of those annoying people who can eat loads and stay slim. Whereas I only need to look at chocolate to gain weight 88)

Really good to read your posts DressmakingMomma and Loops, I've taken note of what you've said. Mini tried a dress on in a year last year with mesh sleeves and I wondered why there was a big gap; now I know. And you're right it didn't look good, I didn't buy the dress.

I'm going to make a practice dress first in navy lycra with navy mesh. I haven't decided how I'm going to do the skirt yet. I just know it won't be the same as the pattern envelope.

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Will you post your experiences with the pattern when you've finished?  I've had more luck with Kwik Sew than Jalie, but I am really interested in that seamless sleeve pattern!!  The dress looks just beautiful!
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back