You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Loop Jump and rotating from the right side  (Read 11379 times)

Offline fantasyfen

• Jump Jump Jump
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
Loop Jump and rotating from the right side
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:52 AM »
Hi all,
It's me again, asking for tips for jumps :)
I have problem with doing loop jump with the proper "sitting down on the edge" as what my coach told me. I can do Loop from another jump's landing. For example, Waltz - land - Loop I can do. Or salchow - land - loop. But can't seem to do Loop on its own. Strange :blush:

I think for one thing is it felt awkward to me to rotate from my right side. So far, jumps like waltz, toe loop, salchow all are similar to waltz. But for loop it's a new concept altogether, hence I'm not sure how to rotate. Flip is easier with the toe pick assist, but I also cannot rotate fully (can do off ice).

Perhaps some of you would have some power tips :)

Thanks in advance :)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Loop Jump and rotating from the right side
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:49:48 AM »
I think the best advice I've heard about jumping lately was bend your knees.  What do you mean, I already bend my knees! Well, my coach explained, you're only bending them about 50% of what you probably think you're bending them.  So even if you're into your knee it's probably not enough.  This will get you more power on a loop and I'd guess that when you tack one onto another jump, you're already bending from the landing.  Also, with the loop and any jump, while you bend your knees make sure to keep your hips under yourself - don't stick your bum out.

As for the right side thing I'm not sure if I'm understanding.  Do you jump over your right shoulder?  If so I wouldn't think about rotating from there too much.  You don't want to push things out of alignment.  Make sure your shoulders aren't getting out of alignment with your hips.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Loop Jump and rotating from the right side
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:08:09 AM »
I mostly can't help. But when you do "Waltz - land - Loop" or "salchow - land - loop", are you by any chance NOT checking the rotation after the first jump? My prior coach made me stop trying to connect jumps like that, with the first jump unchecked, because she felt it was bad practice, and that it was cheating to keep the rotation going from one jump to the next. She felt it was better to separate the jumps, or not do them at all until I was ready to not cheat.

It is possible to do a loop (or any) jump in either direction. If it is easier on the other foot, why not do it that way?