You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Tights and cellulite?  (Read 20246 times)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Tights and cellulite?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
Are you skating barefoot, then?
Yes, but you can wear footed tights underneath OTB tights-it serves the same purpose. I have also seen some of the girls at my rink wear socks (white) folded over the top of their skates, in addition to footed tights and/or OTB tights.  The socks also hold the laces down.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
I had another thought about tights...

I wear black almost exclusively.  It's very likely I will only buy dresses in black with gray or white being the only exceptions.  What would a black dress, with black tights, and black boot covers be like?  I'd be a skating ninja!

Are boot covers weird to wear for testing?  Are they primarily for costuming?  Is the reason most people go with over the boot tights because most people don't wear black or white tights and the nude boot covers are less likely to match the tight color or is it because it's just a smoother look to have over the boot tights?  (Given that they get runs so easily, I'm curious why they are preferred by many.)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
And yet another thought...

Why not wear a pair of nude boot covers UNDER over the boot tights so if the tights get a run, the boot is already covered in nude.  Would that look bulky and odd?

I'm just full of skating thoughts being newly diagnosed with AOSS.   :blush:

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
And yet another thought...

Why not wear a pair of nude boot covers UNDER over the boot tights so if the tights get a run, the boot is already covered in nude.  Would that look bulky and odd?

I'm just full of skating thoughts being newly diagnosed with AOSS.   :blush:
well, I usually wear 2 pair of tights anyway so it's no big deal.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
I wear nude SUPPORT/COMPRESSION sheer-to-the-waist pantyhose ( not ordinary pantyhose ) , then regular skating tights over that. I used to like to wear Danskins, but had to switch to Mondor when Danskins became unavailable. Silkies pantyhose are the best, IMO. The support pantyhose holds the " jiggle " without a lot of bulk, and the regular tights makes for a very even color and look. That's what works for me.

PrettySk8Dress, I was just looking at Silkies and can't seem to find their compression hose that are sheer to waist.  All I found were http://www.silkies.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=08&Cat= .  Can you tell me the exact style name or number of the ones you wear?

By the way, I did purchase a pair of Capezio skate tights in a size Large and they are HUGE.  It seemed I was on the top end of the Medium range (5'4" - almost 5'5" - and 121 lbs) so went with the large.  That was a mistake.  I'll wear them under leggings and skating pants but they still bunch up at my feet.  Way too long and not nearly tight enough.  Just FYI.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Ha ha!  I call dd skating ninja when she wears all black.  Black tights are not flattering though - she wears tight black pants.  :P  She wears boot covers to protect her boots.  Light colors so I got her black this time.  So black from head to toe!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:16 AM »
Are boot covers weird to wear for testing?  Are they primarily for costuming?  Is the reason most people go with over the boot tights because most people don't wear black or white tights and the nude boot covers are less likely to match the tight color or is it because it's just a smoother look to have over the boot tights?  (Given that they get runs so easily, I'm curious why they are preferred by many.)

The idea of OTB is to give the illusion that your legs are one smooth line -- the boot becomes part of your "leg". I think this works best for boots with narrow ankles, like Riedells. Wearing footed tights and nude boot covers would not create exactly the same effect, because you can see where the boot starts. It would be more like wearing beige boots.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »
Wearing footed tights and nude boot covers would not create exactly the same effect, because you can see where the boot starts. It would be more like wearing beige boots.

Agreed.  Maybe my next pair of boots will be tan.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »
OH!  What about these tights UNDER a pair of footed skating tights?  (The first pair thicker with more support.)

http://www.hotlegsusa.com/product-details.asp?cat=Footless+Pantyhose+%26+Tights&ID=18&pID=40

They are described as:

NEW!!! Footless High Gloss Tights
Does your active life style demand increased durability and strength that pantyhose cannot deliver? Are you spending too much money on replacing regular pantyhose? Here is the solution: Sara & Brittni Lee are wearing our new Footless High Gloss Tights from Peavey Hosiery. These footless tights are a step up from Peavey’s Premium Pantyhose line. These footless hosiery tights are made from 87% ANTRON® NYLON & 13% LYCRA® SPANDEX 40 dn. Peavey Premium Quality Footless High Gloss Tights feature Reinforced Crotch, Double Stitched, Sewn on Plush Waistband, Leg Flattering Support, & Stunning High Gloss Sheen that has a sheer appearance from the ankle to the waistband. These footless high gloss tights are very soft & sexy, yet durable and strong to take on your active lifestyle. Peavey Footless High Gloss Tights (sometimes referred to as Capri Tights) are the fastest growing segment of the hosiery industry. These footless hosiery tights are perfect for anyone who wears tights with tennis shoes, anklet socks , boots, or skates. Footless hosiery means you will have all the beauty & benefits of tights without the confining feeling or binding of your toes. Best of all, with these footless tights you will eliminate foot perspiration that comes from wearing footed tights. PLEASE NOTE: Footless tights will allow for a larger fit than what is indicated by our size chart. Peavey Premium Quality Footless High Gloss Tights are very popular with the famous sportsbar waitresses and cheerleaders (professional & collegiate). These athletic footless tights are ideal for Aerobics/Fitness, Bartending, Cheerleading Clubbing, Gymnastics, Skating, Stage Work, Waitressing, Fashion and so much more... These premium tights are comparable to others that sell for well over $50.00 each. These footless tights are the strongest and most durable hosiery we offer. Peavey High Gloss Tights typically last 3 to 4 times longer than normal pantyhose hosiery. When you want your legs to look and feel their very best, choose Peavey Footless High Gloss Fashion Tights.

OR

http://www.hotlegsusa.com/product-details.asp?cat=Footless+Pantyhose+%26+Tights&ID=18&pID=5

NEW from Peavey Hosiery!!! - Perfect for anyone who wears pantyhose with tennis shoes, scrunchie socks, boots, or skates.

Peavey Hosiery is letting you in on a Sportsbar Waitress hosiery exclusive... Crystal is wearing a completely new offering from Peavey Hosiery : Peavey Premium Quality **Footless Pantyhose** (sometimes referred to as Capri Pantyhose) are the fastest growing segment of the hosiery industry. PLEASE NOTE: Because these are footless pantyhose, they will allow for a larger fit than what is indicated. (20dn Light Support) Perfect for anyone who wears pantyhose with tennis shoes, anklet socks , boots, or skates. **Footless** means you will have all the beauty & benefits of pantyhose without the confining feeling or binding of your toes. Best of all, with these footless pantyhose you will eliminate foot perspiration that comes from wearing footed pantyhose. These footless pantyhose are very popular with the famous sportsbar waitresses, cheerleaders (professional & collegiate), (amateur/professional) skaters, fitness instructors, waitresses, and bartenders. Peavey **FOOTLESS** Pantyhose are sheer to waist with a cotton crotch. These hose look awesome, feel great, and because of their durability and strength, last a long time. Attractive look, oh so comfortable hugging fit, small gusset, and durability are why these footless pantyhose are the choice of women all over the world. Seductive sheen enhances the natural beauty of your legs while hiding imperfections. Be daring and care free... Excellent for when you need your legs to look and feel their best. These footless pantyhose are so comfortable and make my legs look awesome. I stand all day long and they are excellent support pantyhose. If you are active or on the go all day like me, you will love these **footless** pantyhose. ** Perfect for waitresses, bartenders, cheerleaders, figure skaters, fitness or aerobics instructors, or for your ‘Famous Sportsbar Waitress’ at home.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has further comment.  I've decided that I like tights that are 70 denier or higher.  Total opacity.  Definitely 2 pair.  But I'm still searching for the perfect solution.  Or maybe I'm searching for perfection. 

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
I go with the basic, thicker, tights.  No shimmer, nothing too thin.  And I think it looks fine.  That would be my rec!  Works for me :)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
Sounds like we need "What not to wear." 

I don't do shiny.  People over 30 shouldn't do shiny tights or dresses.  (Just like What Not to Wear says about miniskirts). :blush:

I really try to wear a skating dress almost to every practice. (I break the 'no miniskirt rule' here).  I don't like skating in pants.  I tried in my yoga pants, but every now & again I managed to stick the back of my blade into my pants when doing jumps.  It's a split second of panic for me.  I bought a pair of those new skating pants.   They are ok, but I'm freaked out to really cross my legs in jumps because they are still a little loose over the boot (right where I'd go to cross).   Old school was you came to the freestyle ice in a dress.  I'm old school on most days.

I just wear regular ice skating tights, in boot ones too.  Old school.  Danskin, Capezio or Mondor (Mondor my favorite). 

Sweater tights, I have them, from 20 years ago.  They are a size too small, unfortunately.  They are too hot for our South Florida rinks.  Up north in winter, you NEED them.  I keep them anyway. One day I will be smaller and at a northern latitude.

Worse then skating tights, are what to wear under your dress if you have had a baby and have any bit of loose, overstretched belly skin.   This is when shapewear is needed, something you can still move in, but shows NO panty through the stockings.  I love Spanx Trust Your Instincts (with the thong) bottom. 

Then, there's the dreaded dress.  For practice, i fell in love with just the skating skirts with attached bottoms.  Throw on a t-shirt and you are good to go.  For real skating, the best is velvet with not too big of a skirt.  Velvet covers the lumps & bumps of us old ladies.    Shiny makes me look yucky.  But, most importantl for me is a straight skirt (like Mondor style 2987).    Too much fabric adds inches to me, in the horizontal direction.

Oh, us old ladies have it different now.  When I was young, my mother added ruffles to my dresses (think Lady Diana's wedding dress) to add meat to the bones.  Now, it's less is best.  Less shine, less material, and even less makeup.  I like it this way.  Simple.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
I found the Capezio Stretch and Hold dance tights are good for a base layer with the Mondor Evolutions on top.  I could do 2 layers of Evoluntions, though.  I'm small 33-25-34 and haven't had children so my stomach isn't an issue.  My legs are my worst feature, though, and cellulite runs in the family.  My sister is 104lbs and 5'1" with it.  She doesn't care a bit and wears thong bikinis everywhere she can (even still at age 61!).  I stopped wearing shorts, skirts, and bathing suits in public at age 14.  I have issues for sure. 

The Stretch and Hold suck and smooth and the Evolutions provide opacity.  So far, it's the best I've found.  But, I still see dimples when I squeeze my butt muscles.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
With those measurements, you are most likely a very beautiful skater.  Don't frett.

A friend of mine wrote a few pieces about our issues with body image.  I found it interesting, and it helped me let go of my tummy issues (well, for  a few minutes).  There are three parts to her write-up.

http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/2013/02/12/when-skating-is-your-lifeline/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
I just wanted to say that I have always worn suntan tights - I have cellulite as most women do - but you cannot see it through the tights.

Maybe I am just dillusional. 88)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »
With those measurements, you are most likely a very beautiful skater.  Don't frett.

A friend of mine wrote a few pieces about our issues with body image.  I found it interesting, and it helped me let go of my tummy issues (well, for  a few minutes).  There are three parts to her write-up.

http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/2013/02/12/when-skating-is-your-lifeline/

"Well, for a few minutes"....exactly!  I sometimes wear skating skirts with tights for practice just to help me get more comfortable.  I can do it.  Nothing is going to cure my body image issues completely.  Maybe when I'm 80 I won't care as much. 

Great articles.  I've seen her videos on YouTube before.

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »

I really try to wear a skating dress almost to every practice.
Old school was you came to the freestyle ice in a dress.  I'm old school on most days.

I just wear regular ice skating tights, in boot ones too.  Old school.  Danskin, Capezio or Mondor (Mondor my favorite). 

For practice, i fell in love with just the skating skirts with attached bottoms.  Throw on a t-shirt and you are good to go.  For real skating, the best is velvet with not too big of a skirt.  Velvet covers the lumps & bumps of us [veteran] ladies. 

I like it this way.  Simple.

+1 GOE from me for your " old school ", down-to-earth, practical view of what to wear for ice skating practice. Although I have been experimenting with wearing practice outfits assembled from other sections of my wardrobe ( pretty blouses and modern dance circle skirts with a baruma [ cheerleader panties ] ), at heart I am also " old school " about ice skating fashion, and believe that ice skating practice means that you wear a plain but nice ice skating dress, and clean, tear-free tights. Will we ever see the return of plain, but nice looking, Polar Sport style practice dresses worn with plain footed tights ?
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
I just bought some US Icewear tights. They're different from Mondor in that they're smooth. I don't notice cellulite in them.  :) I always had a problem with Mondor being too loose even though I fit the height/weight range. Maybe that'll work better?