You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: TSA changes policy for skates in carry-on  (Read 59988 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: TSA changes policy for skates in carry-on
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
Skates and gel pads passed security check point today faster than I ever remember, for domestic flight departing Chicago.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
Skates and gel pads passed security check point today faster than I ever remember, for domestic flight departing Chicago.

Good to know!  Flying out tomorrow and bringing skates.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Here's our experience flying with skates.  My DD just finished competiting at ISI Worlds in Dallas last week.

We did not bring the zucca bag this year.  We were flying on a smaller regional plane non-stop.  Flying to San Jose, CA in 2009, we had issues on the way home with her zucca fitting in the overhead bin.  We didn't want to chance them checking her skates and losing them.  We put her skates, dresses, and a change of clothes for each of us in a pilot case/21" rolling suitcase.  Good thing.  The space in the overhead bins was limited and smaller than usual.

Going out in Minneapolis, the suit case got stopped.  We talked with the TSA agent.  He spent a long time looking at the x-ray, but didn't actually take out the skates.  Wished DD well on her competition and we went on our way.  Took about an extra 5 minutes.

Going out in Dallas, the bag got stopped again.  This time the TSA agent called for a bag check.  It took awhile maybe 5 minutes for someone to check it.  They seemed to be a bit understaffed at that terminal.  A different agent took the suitcase and opened it.  Took out her skates and put them back in.  Maybe another 5 minutes.  Very nice and friendly.  Wished DD well with her skating and we were on our way.

My advice would be - be prepared for a little bit of a wait in the security line or even for the bag to be pulled and opened.  Both times we were allowed to carry the skates on.  It just took a bit of extra time in the security line.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
I think the reasons I never get stopped when I carry on skates are that I always tell the screener in advance that "There are ice skates in this bag - I have ID."  (USFSA/PSA cards are handy) and I put my guards and soakers on the blades securely.  To me, that's demonstrating that I understand that safety is important and I don't intend to hurt anyone with them since it would take a bit of time to remove the guards. 

Some people object to keeping the guards on en route because they're terrified that their blades will rust, but I'm not.  I do wear high-quality blades.  Plus, I make sure the blades and guards are dry and apply a swipe of WD-40 to the blade edges before putting the guards on with the soakers over them.  Never had a problem with rusting, even on a tour bus flight with four (4!) stops that took 10 hours to reach my destination. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
I think the reasons I never get stopped when I carry on skates are that I always tell the screener in advance that "There are ice skates in this bag - I have ID."  (USFSA/PSA cards are handy) and I put my guards and soakers on the blades securely.  To me, that's demonstrating that I understand that safety is important and I don't intend to hurt anyone with them since it would take a bit of time to remove the guards. 

Some people object to keeping the guards on en route because they're terrified that their blades will rust, but I'm not.  I do wear high-quality blades.  Plus, I make sure the blades and guards are dry and apply a swipe of WD-40 to the blade edges before putting the guards on with the soakers over them.  Never had a problem with rusting, even on a tour bus flight with four (4!) stops that took 10 hours to reach my destination. 
We always tell the screeners... we have two pair of skates. Never had any issues flying out of Boston, Seattle,Spokane, Salt lake.At our home airport they have taken them out and wiped them down to look for something. They were in soakers but  damp since they had just skated.Think its easier just to tell them upfront.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
Just got back from NYC.  In SLC, had no issue at all with skates as carry ons.  Going out of Newark, they inspected my bag but I printed the TSA ice skate flyer (which states they can be in carry on luggage) and got through without issue.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline SkateTip2

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline helencw

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
air travel with skates in carryon
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
Last month I was stopped at JFK because of the skates in my carryon luggage. The inspector did not know about the rule change allowing them. I showed him a printout of the TSA Gudiance for ice Skaters and he allowed me through with my skates. He said they were not informed of the change. (It's been more than 2 years!).

I sent a respectful email to the TSA requesting that they inform all their inspectors of current rules.

Here is the TSA website showing that skates are allowed. Scroll down to ice skates.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

I was unable to attach the TSA Guidance for Ice Skaters (too large). You could google it and download.

Mod Note: Merged with earlier thread so that all the relevant links would together.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: air travel with skates in carryon
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
I'm rarely stopped, but I do print out a copy of that form and lay it across my skates in the bag just in case. I've always been let through after the agent sees the page or calls over a supervisor who confirms the rule.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
Mine have been through RDU, St. Louis, and LA with no problems. I didn't even have to show the sheet. Maybe it helps that all three of those airports serve NHL hockey teams have something to do with it.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2015, 06:29:55 AM »
I've never had a problem with the actual skates, but they did once question me about the "Stinkees" inside of them (those "stuffed animal" things filled with odor-absorbing powder).  When flying, be sure to clear your skate bag of other things that might be a problem!

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but don't forget if travelling internationally that other countries won't necessarily accept skates as carry on, and often explicitly prohibit them in their guidance. Check before you fly - you may be able to get your skates out of the US in your hand luggage, but you might not be able to get them back in the same way.

e.g. http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/domestic/prohibited_list.aspx
http://www.londoncityairport.com/intheairport/page/securityandbaggage

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »
I just wanted to also mentioned that EU Air Safety regulations specifically state no sharp objects, but leaves it up to the individual airports to determine if skates can be considered sharp objects. I know for a fact that Brussels, Barcelona, Vienna, Venice, Innsbruck, London, and Frankfurt all prohibit you from carrying your skates on.  I had this question last year, when travelling from Brussels to Sydney.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
I don't fly very often, but as others have said, skates ARE allowed as a carry on. But just in case you get stopped, it's a good idea to have a copy of the TSA rules with you.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
I don't fly very often, but as others have said, skates ARE allowed as a carry on. But just in case you get stopped, it's a good idea to have a copy of the TSA rules with you.

Skates are allowed as carry on in the US.
When travelling outside of the US check with the local country as rules vary. 

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
Skates are allowed as carry on in the US.
When travelling outside of the US check with the local country as rules vary.

Exactly. Not permitted as carry-on in Australia - and that's caught out a few skaters before, too.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!