You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI Adult Nationals  (Read 5782 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
ISI Adult Nationals
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
They're happening in October.

My moves coach called me up today and asked if I would be interested in going. She's trying to get a group together. I said I'd be happy to go and hold her purse while she competes. It turns out she wants me to compete too. Well, I'm FS1 but don't jump or spin, and all I can do in dance is the preliminary dances. I said I didn't think I had the skills. She came back with there were people there doing swizzles. Well, yeah, I can do swizzles, so I guess that's one class I can sandbag. ;D

Anyone been there? Got comments?

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: ISI Adult Nationals
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Have you actually registered a FS1 test with ISI?   Because if you haven't, you can always compete lower than that.  The level of CLASS you take isn't the same as the level you compete in (in fact, you are generally always one class higher than you compete, and some students move on in group classes before they can pass the level due to a single skills, so they might be a few levels ahead.)

If you don't jump or spin- go for artistic.  I have no doubt YOU can be a character.  Heck- you could even make it an ice dance.

I have never been, but we have a contingent from our rink that goes.  This includes a woman who is an aspiring freestyle skater, she has a basic 1 foot spin, but not a scratch spin, and can do a bit of a waltz jump.  She told me she skated in 15 events at World's (fewer at adult nats, because at World's she does programs with her granddaughter.)

I know for World's the ISI coach at our rink has every parent going put on skates for "family" numbers, one grandpa even brought a walker out on the ice, because he could barely march- so your coach is telling the truth when she says it is people of ALL levels.  If you'd have fun putting on a costume and skating a program, DO IT!  Especially if you are going to be there anyway- might as well do some skating!

Edit to add:
I don't think the current year entry forms are out yet, but I found 2010's.  For low level dancers, they have a progressive event (if you are in Dance 1) and swing roll event (if you are in Dance 2)!  Or you can do the Dutch Waltz.  You can do solo, skate with another woman, have a pro partner, a traditional partner, etc.  ISI just wants you to skate

http://www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/Events/Adults/2011/Dance.pdf

Here are the individual choices:
http://www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/Events/Adults/2011/Indiv.pdf
You would need to look at the rulebook, but there are lots of events you could do without jumps (though others may): spotlight, artistic, rhythmic, stroking (obviously), footwork (yep), and figures

Plus, you could always skate as part of a team in group events (not synchro, group numbers)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
Have you actually registered a FS1 test with ISI?   Because if you haven't, you can always compete lower than that.  The level of CLASS you take isn't the same as the level you compete in (in fact, you are generally always one class higher than you compete, and some students move on in group classes before they can pass the level due to a single skills, so they might be a few levels ahead.)

If you don't jump or spin- go for artistic.  I have no doubt YOU can be a character.  Heck- you could even make it an ice dance.

I have never been, but we have a contingent from our rink that goes.  This includes a woman who is an aspiring freestyle skater, she has a basic 1 foot spin, but not a scratch spin, and can do a bit of a waltz jump.  She told me she skated in 15 events at World's (fewer at adult nats, because at World's she does programs with her granddaughter.)

I know for World's the ISI coach at our rink has every parent going put on skates for "family" numbers, one grandpa even brought a walker out on the ice, because he could barely march- so your coach is telling the truth when she says it is people of ALL levels.  If you'd have fun putting on a costume and skating a program, DO IT!  Especially if you are going to be there anyway- might as well do some skating!

Thanks for the Tips. I'm actually USFSA FS1, not ISI. I think there's some transfer, but I'll have to ask my moves coach. I was thinking of doing artistic, or light entertainment. If I can get a male skater to go along with it I want to do a routine to this: (And I can get it down to 60 seconds)

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the Tips. I'm actually USFSA FS1, not ISI. I think there's some transfer, but I'll have to ask my moves coach. I was thinking of doing artistic, or light entertainment.

That would be great!  I'm partial to Bug's Bunny's Barber of Seville...

IIRC, with ISI, your USFS level won't matter if you haven't taken "official" tests.  (I don't know how your Dutch Waltz will effect you).   Technically, you'll have to take and register ALL the ISI tests Pre-Alpha through whatever level you are competing at.  I know I did pre-alpha through FS3 all in one day before my first ISI competition.  Our rink tests really informally though, so it was no big deal. The Freeskate levels require programs, but it was a stretch to call what I was required to do a program...

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
I'm doomed.

I can't do a Bunny Hop.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
I can't do a Bunny Hop.
Tsk, tsk.  If you skate artistic, there are no technical requirements.  Still, if you're in USFSA FS1, you should be able to do a bunny hop.  Just sayin'...

It doesn't matter what the current test/class level; in ISI and USFSA BSS the skaters compete at the next-lower level unless they want to "skate up."  That's the "highest level passed."  The assumption is that the skater won't have mastered all the skills in their current level yet, so a skater in BSS FS1 would compete at a BSS Basic 8 level.  A student in ISI FS1 would compete at a Delta level.

Start taking the ISI tests and see how far you get by June/July, then focus on your program elements in lessons until the competition.  If you wanted to compete ISI FS 1, you'd have to master the Bunny Hop, though since it's in Delta.

The 2011 ISI AN had compulsory, stroking and several different "program to music" events. Ice Dance was really expanded: the skaters could do a free dance, pick/choose the ice dances to compete or stay with the traditional ISI Ice Dance events.  With the options of Solo / Similar / Mixed / Professional partnered.  (I didn't know that until now - so many options!)

2011 ISI AN Entry Forms:
Individual: http://www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/Events/Adults/2011/Indiv.pdf
Dance: www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/Events/Adults/2011/Dance.pdf
Team: www.skateisi.com/site/contentPDF/Events/Adults/2011/Team.pdf

The test deadline is August 10, 2012, so you have until then to become a member and get the ISI tests registered with the ISI.  

I skated at ISI Nationals before there was an ISI or USFSA AN, so my experience is probably different since it was one-nationals-for-all.  The one in Dallas was a blast, exciting and crowded with spectators.  We had to skate at different rinks on different days ... made a lot of u-turns on Dallas highways trying to read maps and navigate by myself.  I didn't stay at the "competition hotel" because it was beyond my budget, but it didn't really matter because only one of my events was at that rink.  I wasn't aware that there was a competitor's party and didn't build that, or practice ice, into my travel plans.  Definitely plan on entering more than one event - you're there for the duration and it's fun to have more opportunities to come home with a medal. (And there's less time to dwell on any problems you had in one event, like not landing the flip 2/3 times in the freeskate program...grrr...)  If you want to do Interpretive, prepare a few different skating bits beforehand and start listening to music that ends abruptly, to judge the finish properly.  Lessons learned and shared.

Remember: what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas ...

OT: I just noticed that the test deadline is BEFORE the 2011-2012 membership expiration date.  To compete at ISI AN, you have be a current member for 2012-2013.  I guess that's why they offer the two-year membership option.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Agnes Nitt, I believe the ISI Open Bronze level covers everything from Delta to FS3, so if you pass Delta you could skate in this category (which is increasingly popular). There are no required jumps and spins but you do need a "balanced" program.

However, if you can get past FS1, you could potentially enter Footwork and Figure events too. Also, ISI has tests for dances, though I don't know if ISI AN actually includes dance events.

How about a little bunny hop or waltz jump? Just think of it as a dance move!

There are tons and tons of ISI events that you could do--spotlight, test moves, interpretive....

I like the way your coach thinks--plus, isn't ISI Adult nationals held in  Florida this year? Skate and PAH-rty!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
Tsk, tsk.  If you skate artistic, there are no technical requirements.  Still, if you're in USFSA FS1, you should be able to do a bunny hop.  Just sayin'...

Remember: what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas ...

Technically, I'm FS1 because they put me there. I bullied them into not making me jump.

I used to live in Vegas. I don't even tell myself what I did there.

If you don't jump or spin- go for artistic.  I have no doubt YOU can be a character.   

That's said with love, right?

Agnes Nitt, I believe the ISI Open Bronze level covers everything from Delta to FS3, so if you pass Delta you could skate in this category (which is increasingly popular). There are no required jumps and spins but you do need a "balanced" program.

However, if you can get past FS1, you could potentially enter Footwork and Figure events too. Also, ISI has tests for dances, though I don't know if ISI AN actually includes dance events.

How about a little bunny hop or waltz jump? Just think of it as a dance move!

There are tons and tons of ISI events that you could do--spotlight, test moves, interpretive....

I like the way your coach thinks--plus, isn't ISI Adult nationals held in  Florida this year? Skate and PAH-rty!!

Thanks for the tips. My moves coach will have to test me I guess. She's the only ISI coach in the city. The Open Bronze sounds like fun.

Offline Harleyboy

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 57
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »
(Harleyboy goes to Las Vegas Sun website and does search in the Police Blotter for "AgnessNitt")

Hmmmm,,Very interesting....

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
That's said with love, right?

Absolutely- I read your blog and you've got so much personality I absolutely see you doing a great artistic.  You need personality for it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
Absolutely- I read your blog and you've got so much personality I absolutely see you doing a great artistic.  You need personality for it.

Videos please, competition or practice! With love.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Go for it!!! I also read your blog and think you'll be fab for an artistic program  ;D

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »
I also agree-Artistic sounds like a match for you!  I used to compete ISI and it is a blast! You will love it!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I was curious about all these different categories they're offering so was looking at the entry forms that were linked here. So what's the difference between Figures, Creative Figures and Free Figures?
And is a footwork program just that? Only footwork?

(And I really struggle to know the difference between artistic and interpretive, as someone once told me that what we call artistic in the UK is what is called interpretive in the US).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
Interpretive in ISI is what most people call Improv.  You hear the music once in the locker room, once on warm up ice, and then once (without getting to watch) while the competitor before you skates.   (Confusing because USFS calls what I think of as artistic programs as interpretive programs- because you interpret the music.)  Artistic is a dramatic or entertainment program, often with elaborate props.

Footwork is exactly what it sounds like. No jumps or spins.  It is set to music, I think.

Figures is the figure set for your level.  Creative figures you draw your own figure, and submit it to the judges- then you have to do it on the ice.  You could draw a picture, or your name, whatever.  Free figures I think means you can do any figure you want, regardless of level. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »
For a footwork program in ISI, you can do half jumps and spins with less than 3 roataions.  They are usually to upbeat music and most girls I've seen compete wear leggings - not a skating dress.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
I have not done ISI AN, but did ISI Worlds last year.  My first time. Competed at Open Bronze. It was a lot of fun.  I'm sure ISI AN would be even more so. 

My DD has gone to Worlds every year since 2007.  She does dance.  To test dance, you just have to have your test submitted.  Levels 1-6, it was basically the coach saying she passed - no formal testing, but it had to be submitted to the ISI home office.  For Level 7, she had to have formal testing by the district chair who picked 3 judges. She could be working on level 8 now, but is trying to pass the other 2 of her Silver USFS dances (same ones she passed for ISI Level 7 - American Waltz and Tango).

For interepretive, you technically have to do 1 jump and 1 spin, because their is a correctness score for one of the judges.  My DD is the interpretive queen - she loves it.  I tried it and I pretty much suck at it.

There are all kinds of spotlights - drama, character, and light entertainment.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 03:33:15 AM »
Interpretive in ISI is what most people call Improv.  You hear the music once in the locker room, once on warm up ice, and then once (without getting to watch) while the competitor before you skates.   (Confusing because USFS calls what I think of as artistic programs as interpretive programs- because you interpret the music.)  Artistic is a dramatic or entertainment program, often with elaborate props.

Footwork is exactly what it sounds like. No jumps or spins.  It is set to music, I think.

Figures is the figure set for your level.  Creative figures you draw your own figure, and submit it to the judges- then you have to do it on the ice.  You could draw a picture, or your name, whatever.  Free figures I think means you can do any figure you want, regardless of level. 

You know they all sound like really cool categories to have. We've had creative skating at some of the European competitions which is like the footwork program, but improvisation has died out (I was really impressed by those doing it when I did see a competition).
And I wish there was an official definition for Artistic and Interpretive as they seem to vary depending on the competition. I think the definition came down to with and without props but I always get confused between which is which!