You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Theft at the Rink  (Read 21982 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Theft at the Rink
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
I admit, I've only skated at about a dozen rinks. But I'm astonished at the amazing proclivity of people to just leave stuff lying around. I always skate in a zippered jacket, with my wallet in the pocket and the purse locked in the trunk of my car, so no worries there. But I've seen cell phones, purses, bags computers etc just sitting out. Yet I've never had anything stolen from my bag (I usually put it up on top of the lockers, but still). Nor have I heard of reports of theft any greater than blade guards.  There's got to be some theft. I thought this might be a place to report safe vs unsafe rinks for theft.

My nomination is Charlottesville Ice Rink in VA. I didn't have anything stolen but the layout is just insane, and creeped me out. It is the only rink I ever secured my boot bag and shoes in the lockers. Other than that the rink was great.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Theft at the Rink
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
I try to leave my wallet and phone in the car.  But I'm too scared of being stabbed to skate with my keys in my pocket, so they stay in my skate bag, and like most key fobs it causes the car to beep- so stolen keys could easily equal stolen car.  Occasionally my wallet will be in there if I have to go shopping afterwards, and my checkbook is always in my bag (but who would steal that? Does anyone write checks anymore?).

My rink is in a mall, so theft would be easy- anyone from the public can access and not seem out of place (though it would be slightly more suspicious on an early freestyle session).  I have heard of wallets being taken, when I first got there, but haven't had anything taken out of my bag in 5 years I've skated there.  I rarely see anyone, public or freestyle use the lockers.   

I think most stolen skate guards are either kids looking for a thrill, but too scared to steal something of value, or else are mistakenly taken.  I think most people are good, and don't worry too much about theft. I do think it is helpful to always have the same bag, and know the regulars- that way the "moms" will say something if they see someone other than me digging into it.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
I've left my CAMERA, CELL PHONE, lots of clothing and of course, guards, at rinks all over the place.  No one's ever taken them.  Down heah, they go a step further: I've gotten calls from people at the rink to come on back because they spotted something of ours after we left the rink.  One mom here said that her daughter's designer jacket was taken from inside her zuca bag - the thief opened it up.  I just can't believe that is what really happened because my kids throw stuff around all the time and it always comes back. 

When I was younger and had a much-lighter skate bag, I used to use a small shoulder duffel bag.  I didn't carry much, so it was simple to just put it on the other side of the wall in a hockey box. 

Today, I bring my purse or tote onto the ice with me during freestyles, but I lock up my wallet during general sessions.  It's just too distracting since our rink allows people to use the hockey boxes during general sessions.  I'm constantly looking to see who's in that box.

My current skate bag (a rolling suitcase) can be locked and I do carry a small luggage lock.  When I skated in Dallas at the mall rink, we used a locker for keys/purse/etc.  Anyone trying to pick up my skate bag would get a hernia, so no one's going to be running off with it.  (The lock is the least of the things I carry in that behemoth of a bag.)  At Rock Center, I put it in a locker or I would just bring an ID & cash plus my skates and guards.  Nothing heavier than a sweater, but my office was only a few blocks away and I could use the underground concourse so no biggie.

The disappearing skate guards are interesting, though.  I witnessed a kid try to take a pair once.  Aside from the fact that the dope put them on in order to step onto the ice (I stopped him), he asked where to get them since "they were free."  He thought everyone got a pair at the rental counter and he had missed out.  It was an interesting conversation.  He was around 7 or 8 years old.

I take my guards out with my purse, mainly so I don't forget my purse in the hockey box.  I never leave them by the door - the off-balance hockey boys knock them all off the edge while they wait impatiently.

I think a bigger issue is that the skaters are so inconsiderate with their bags and belongings.  You walk into a rink during a freestyle and every seat has a zuca bag in front of it, shoes and jackets all over the place.  While they all have $150 seats, they park them in front of the benches and leave them there like they're saving the spots for later, when they come off the ice.  It's selfish, imo.  I make my kids put their things inside and park the bag underneath the bench or against a wall but left to their own devices, they won't do it because no one else does that.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:48 PM »
I was at one point ridiculously trusting and someone snatched a beautiful ornament hanging on my skate bag that I got for birthday a day ago.

Since then I lock up the skate bag for all-age public skating sessions. Noon adult session is usually consisted of regulars and I don't mind leaving it in the hockey box.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
During freestyle, there is no theft.  We all know each other, and the skate moms watch everything like hawks.  There's no way I'd leave my stuff in the lobby during public session, though.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I'd had no thought of using a locker until my husband's cell phone was stolen from his jacket pocket one day a few years back.  We put our names on the waitlist for a "permanent" locker the very next day - there are only a few lockers available for "permanent" hire by the regulars - and were allocated the locker nearly a year later, when the previous hirer passed away  :(.  Because there are so few permanent lockers, the only way to get one is to wait for someone to give up their permanent locker.  Once we get one, we hang onto it for dear life - if you give it up, there's a long wait if you later change your mind!

Lockers at my rink cost a fortune if bought on a casual basis (I think $4 or $5 a session??)  The permanent ones are a much better rate ($8 a week).  The lockers aren't very big - enough to fit a large handbag.  Some regulars who have permanent lockers keep their skates in them when they're not at the rink.  I've seen those lockers packed as the skater departs, and not a lot else fits!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »

I think a bigger issue is that the skaters are so inconsiderate with their bags and belongings.  You walk into a rink during a freestyle and every seat has a zuca bag in front of it, shoes and jackets all over the place.  While they all have $150 seats, they park them in front of the benches and leave them there like they're saving the spots for later, when they come off the ice.  It's selfish, imo. 

:worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy And heaven help you if you move any of the stuff out of the way ...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
You know, I think of it kind of like camping.  People lock up up and hide their belongings in almost any situation.  But camping- people leave hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars of stuff set up at a campsite, in their tents, or out and about, while they go on hikes, or out fishing.  I haven't heard of much theft at all in campsites, and haven't experienced it.  (More likely to hear of drunken violence.)

Oddly enough- at the beach, we always have someone guard the bags.  Wonder why that situation is different?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
:worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy And heaven help you if you move any of the stuff out of the way ...

Nah, I just move it. They can glare all they want. Usually they take up half the bench in an area with 20 people in it and bench space for 10.

What irks me is when I've very carefully got all my stuff in a pile neatly beside me and I'm the ONLY PERSON IN THE BENCH AREA, two girls with zuca bags will sit next to me and try to push me off the bench in a passive aggressive way.  I ignore them.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
Nah, I just move it. They can glare all they want.

And I move street shoes and dripping skates to the floor without hesitation. Hello, people sit here.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
Knock on wood, theft isn't a huge problem at my rink that I'm aware of even though we're not in the best place in the area. During freestyle there is no problem at all, but during publics if it's not crowded at all then I leave everything in my transpack, but if its' super crowded to the point I don't feel my stuff is safe there, I drop it in the office (perks of working there).

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
I think a bigger issue is that the skaters are so inconsiderate with their bags and belongings.  You walk into a rink during a freestyle and every seat has a zuca bag in front of it, shoes and jackets all over the place.  While they all have $150 seats, they park them in front of the benches and leave them there like they're saving the spots for later, when they come off the ice.  It's selfish, imo.  I make my kids put their things inside and park the bag underneath the bench or against a wall but left to their own devices, they won't do it because no one else does that.

We actually have a rule about this at my rink, which is nice. All Zucas go to the side away from the benches. It is always annoying when a non-regular kid comes in and parks right in front of the bench or when it's a skate school kid with mom and dad and the zuca spread out over the entire bench.

The problem comes during show time. We are all in a locker room with little space and one year there were so many Zucas that there was zero room for me, one of the lone ones without a Zuca. So one of the older girls and I moved all of the Zucas to the middle of the room and the kids moved them right back in front of the benches until we said something to them that no one could get to the benches...

Even if the bag is in front of the bench in either scenario, the kids sit on the Zuca, not the bench! So annoying!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
Funnily enough, I've never really heard of theft at my rink.

We also don't really have too many problems with the Zucas, mostly because there are never enough people to fill all the benches so if the front row has Zucas parked there you can always just hop up to the next one.

I have a black wheelie suitcase that I keep my skating stuff in and I leave it on a bench. It has my wallet and phone in it. The rink is under-sized so you can always see your bag no matter what part you're on - and there's usually a mum there that knows most of the skaters and who's bag is whose.

I never skate with anything in the pockets of my jacket except a handkerchief. I don't even skate with a watch on. I don't like landing on things. I've done it multiple times off my bicycle, I don't particularly care to repeat the experience!  :sweat

The worst thing for me is when there are public skaters at our session. At my rink there are three freestyle sessions daily - an early-morning slot (for the really serious skaters - well, I could go, but I'm not a morning person), a 3:30pm-5:30pm slot, and an evening slot. The mid-afternoon slot is "public freestyle" - that is, we can skate our freestyle on it, but if a member of the public wants to skate they can do so.

The worst problems we have are with those public skaters. They leave their shoes and bags everywhere, and will happily sit right next to your bag or dump their stuff on top of it! I've never had anyone steal blade guards, but I hang mine on the netting that goes all around the rink in place of "Plexiglas"so I can always see them anyway.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
I don't recall ever having a problem at my rink, other than guard being taken (and i'm sure it's more accidental or by young kids than not).  Some skaters leave their PURSES out  :o...I zip mine in my Zuca, behind my street clothes, shoes, etc. I figure if they have to root around it's harder for them to take my stuff (knock on wood).  I don't skate the heavy night publics so I can't speak for that session.

We used to have lockers, but they were too small to be useful, and each time you wanted to open them you had to spend 50 cents. Not helpful at all.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Parents look out for belongings from regulars.  Dd pushes her zuca backwards so the zipper is facing the wall.  I can totally see a non skating kid thinking guards are free!  They are usually just sitting on the walls. ;D

Rhinestone jackets are the biggest loss.  Dd had thought she left it and the director said don't bother coming back for it.  We later found it "eaten" in the couch.  Yes, we have rescued jackets and guards when we know who they belong to - and have had the same done for us.

Other that that I haven't heard of any outright theft.  It was MUCH worse at gymnastics where almost weekly a car window was smashed in.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
The only things I've had "stolen" were things that I actually left at the rink.. in the days pre-MP3 players this was usually a binder of CD's.  That happened twice, both times I consider it my own fault - I should have been more responsible with my stuff, but I'd often leave stuff in the DJ box and didn't worry about it - the disappointing part of this is only employees had access, so it had to be a co-worker who took off with them both times.

While I worked at the rink the most common item to be reported stolen were SHOES of all things.. there was probably a pair that went missing every PM public session.  That rink would also only purge lost and found twice a year, so if you did lose something like a jacket you had fairly good odds of recovering it.

Where I skate now, because we have a computerized punchcard system (you just sign in at the desk) I don't even bring in my wallet or cell phone in with me, I leave them in the car, and ironically I probably worry about them more out there than if I brought them into the rink.  But I've had my car broken into twice (not at the rink) so that's always in the back of my mind.  I've yet to lose anything at either rink I currently skate at though... I would like to think that they're both fairly decent places, but I'm sure as soon as I let my guard down something will happen.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
I have twice had my purse stolen from my zipped bag in an ice rink lobby.  This occurred at two different rinks in different parts of the country with many years between them. Neither culprit was a skater or otherwise trustworthy rink patron.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
I used to take a fabulously lightweight jacket made by Open Air Wear to rinks, just in case it got too cold, and usually left it in the lobby. Someone took it. It's irreplaceable  - no one makes anything equivalent that light any more.

Speaking of camping, on kayak camping trip to Florida a number of years back, in a state park, someone came into the office while I was checking out, to report that someone had stolen the tent and camping gear from a neighboring site. Ranger said it happened fairly often.

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
I haven't heard of any theft at the rinks I skate at, but I still have a luggage lock on my bag.  Only one of my rinks has a skate change area that can be seen clearly from the ice, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I don't remember ever locking things up as a teen, but we either had a club room or could clearly see our stuff from the ice and there were skate moms everywhere.

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
We did have some thefts at our rink - it was the only facility in a certain area that had restrooms, and many homeless people were coming in to use the showers, etc, in the locker rooms.  Management didn't mind that people were coming in to get clean, etc, but after some things were stolen out of cars, bags, and locker rooms, they banned nonskaters from coming in, locked up the locker rooms, installed cameras, and let us all know what had happened. 

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
You know, I think of it kind of like camping.  People lock up up and hide their belongings in almost any situation.  But camping- people leave hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars of stuff set up at a campsite, in their tents, or out and about, while they go on hikes, or out fishing.  I haven't heard of much theft at all in campsites, and haven't experienced it.  (More likely to hear of drunken violence.)

Oddly enough- at the beach, we always have someone guard the bags.  Wonder why that situation is different?

Campgrounds have a well earned reputation as safe places.  We've been going to the same small NY State campground in the Adirondacks for almost 20 years.  In all of that time, there has only been one theft there.  We know, because we have always been on friendly terms with the ranger in charge, and very quickly became friends with the locals who go there regularly also.

Speaking of camping, on kayak camping trip to Florida a number of years back, in a state park, someone came into the office while I was checking out, to report that someone had stolen the tent and camping gear from a neighboring site. Ranger said it happened fairly often.

I think that says more about Florida than about campgrounds in general.

Back on topic - On winter weekends, it gets totally crazy at my rink, and I would expect things to be stolen.  My protection against carelessly leaving something out, is to always lock up.  I do this even when there are just a handful of skaters and I know them all.  That way I don't get careless and leave things out when I shouldn't.  The only time DD and I forgot and left our guards at the rink, they were stolen.  I've picked up at least 4 pair of guards for other skaters, when I've seen them left behind, but mine & DD's were never returned.  The stupid thing is that I bet the thieves didn't even really know what they were for and probably just threw them out later.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
There are a lot of thieves at campgrounds - of the four footed variety.

It's just part of how they survive.

Letting homeless people into a rink is a similar situation.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
A few years ago I accidentally left my skating-safe gel pads in the bathroom...they were still there three days later when I went back! I had left in a hurry (had to run to work) and left them on the sink.  That says something about the people, and also the cleaning staff  :o
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »
Well...only a week or so after posting that I'd never seen blade guards taken at my rink...

The school holidays are out so there were a lot more public skaters than usual on the practice this afternoon...two in particular had made me side-eye them, I know it sounds terrible but they were like 14/15, dyed black hair with long floppy fringe, etc etc. They were the type who just rocket around the rink at full speed even though they can't skate properly and definitely can't stop.

I happened to be looking towards the gate when I saw the boy with a blue blade guard in his hand...I thought he'd just knocked it off the barrier and was going to put it back on, but I never saw it reappear. I skated over to the boards near the gate to have a drink...

And there was Mr. Emoboy, clomping around near the benches with these blue blade guards on his rental skates.

I just said sharply, "Those aren't yours." He looked up and went, "Uh, I thought they were everybody's." I'm just like, "No, they belong to the person who bought them. If you want a pair, they're $25 at the pro shop." He took them off, put them back on the board, and slunk off. I overheard him say to his girlfriend, "I thought I wouldn't get it in trouble." Not on your life mister!
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
Well, guess I'll rent a locker at the rink after all... Thieves visited my skate bag in the lobby and took away a ziplock bag that contained cash and ice coupons in addition to other stuff. Fortunately my keys and phone were not in the skate bag at the moment. Granted the lobby was empty and office closed (Sunday evening), but there were twenty kids practicing for the ice show and tens of zucas parked there... I will call the rink tomorrow to check if they left anything for me in lost and found, sigh.