You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice for practicing spin entrance  (Read 4840 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Off-ice for practicing spin entrance
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:58:53 AM »
I'm still having problems with my spins, and on-ice practice (even with coach looking) isn't helping.

I've had great success doing off-ice drills for MITF stuff -- stroking, cross rolls, etc. Videos (of other people, and myself) help a lot too -- watching everything in slow motion helps me find where my position is off, etc. Plus, what my former coach taught me about biomechanics in skating has really helped me improve under other coaches -- and even without them. I've recently been able to improve my back cross strokes (without the toepick problem) using this technique.

But spins are a different beast.

I know about off-ice spinners, but my problem is what happens *before* the spin. I can understand what my coach wants me to do as I go into the spin: bend, stroke, hook, straighten leg, move foot to front, straighten up. But as I do this, everything feels really fast, I can't figure out what's wrong. All I know is I don't feel steady going into the spin.

TLDR; are there any off-ice techniques that I can use to prepare for spin entrance? I have specific problems with:
1. keeping the entry edge long enough
2. putting the free leg in front -- it always ends up on the side and I have no idea how to move it further front
3. straightening up -- my coach tells me I break at the waist every time I put my free leg near my skating leg (soft, not fast, she always tells me. Easier said than done!)

Thanks!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Off-ice for practicing spin entrance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
I have trouble too!

Have had trouble, since the first creatures crawled out of the sea onto the ice.

I think spinning is black art, that can only be done well by those who practice witchcraft! :)

One thing that helps me a very little is to actually DO things in slow motion. I.E., start from a slow glide, use "stabilizing muscles" to make my body stiff, and make all my motions slow and carefully controlled.

I don't try to spin or move fast, because that makes me lose control and travel. I spin as slowly as I smoothly can.

Since I don't practice witchcraft, I have recently tried putting on a slippery (synthetic material) sock. On my smooth kitchen floor, I stand on one leg, and and very gradually and very, very slowly bring it, and the corresponding arm, around and in front of me. As the arm and leg slow down, I spin spin very, very slowly on the floor. I spin as slowly as I can without jerking. I try to keep my spine erect as I do so.

I bought a full length mirror ($5 at Walmart), and tried facing it as I spin. I can see if I bend my spine at the waist, or anywhere else, or if I lean in any direction, or if my neck tilts - none of which I want to happen.

The problem is, watching the mirror makes me spot (rotate the neck to continue looking in one direction) as I spin, which is not the way figure skaters are usually supposed to spin. (If I were a ballerina spotting would be good.)

I don't know whether these exercises will help in the end, but at least they help make me aware of my posture.

If you have a spinner that rotates very smoothly, you can try it on that too.

I also tried it on a balance board (a flat surface with a half sphere on the bottom). Alas, I can't hold that position without falling off.

BTW - make sure you have space around you for any of these exercises, so you don't bump your head into anything, like a kitchen counter, if you fall - which you may well do, at first. And if you are worried, wear soft padded clothing, or other padding. Maybe even a helmet.

OTOH - if someone else answers you here, take their advice instead. I still haven't mastered this black art.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:32:57 AM »
1. keeping the entry edge long enough
2. putting the free leg in front -- it always ends up on the side and I have no idea how to move it further front
3. straightening up -- my coach tells me I break at the waist every time I put my free leg near my skating leg (soft, not fast, she always tells me. Easier said than done!)

Tricky question.  I think you need to practice on the ice. 

It took me about seven years of skating to get my entry edge long enough to center spins, and there's still room for improvement.  Be patient.

I suggest you practice twisting your torso slowly.  I think a strong twist helps the entry edge and posture. 

You can also try strengthening your torso.  This will help you push your hips forward during the spin. 

I also suggest closing your eyes and performing the spin positions while standing on one foot.  This will improve your proprioception.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
Thanks Query and nicklaszlo. My apartment isn't big enough to practice spinning itself, but I may do it in the office when no one is looking ;)

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
I remember the Flexafit dvd having some exercises for spin entrances. I have the version I bought on Youtube but I don't know if they still sell it like that.