You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bronze Freestyle Program - Gruesome Camel or Glorious Scratch Spin?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
This is probably a worn-out question, but here it goes.

In my Adult Bronze Ladies III program I have a place where I could do either a camel spin, a sit spin, or an upright scratch spin. My scratch spin is pretty fast and decent with 10+ revolutions. My sit spin is not low at all and pretty shaky. My camel is not reliable and even on a good one only has 3 revolutions. For a 6.0 competition (namely, Adult Nationals) do you think it is better to do the spin that looks good or attempt the harder one that is iffy? I've been watching the videos from 2016 and 2015 and it seems mostly everyone attempts a camel (and even a camel-sit), but many people fall out of it or it only has a revolution or two. My other spin is a change-foot spin, which I think will qualify for the "two spins of different character" requirement. Jumps are loop, salchow, flip-toe loop, and waltz jump-half loop-salchow.

I guess the question also is, do I want to enjoy and feel good about the execution of the program or cringe when I watch the video?

So what do you think the judges will respond to more - well-executed simpler spin or crappy harder spin? Although I highly doubt I am in any medal race here so it probably doesn't matter anyway.  :-\

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
Re: Bronze Freestyle Program - Gruesome Camel or Glorious Scratch Spin?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
Caveat: I have no experience competing or with the scoring.

What I do have is experience with nerves. I would say do what want derail you or what might give you a confidence boost. So if having the scratch spin give you the "I've got this!" attitude then that can be worth a lot.

Good Luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
I compete bronze but IJS so this probably affects my decisions.
I would practice the program with the harder spin as you never know the camel might get better. But if come a couple of weeks before competition it's still an iffy camel and you don't think it would hold out with nerves then I think I would switch to the upright.
I'm currently having this same debate.
My sit spin is pretty decent and I can (hopefully) get a variation called (IJS - points mean prizes), but my camel is generally good, but liable to go on holiday with nerves (it's never been called). So we started the program with a camel-broken leg (it works great in practice), but we're now looking at a broken leg - upright combo spin. Last season I didn't get my second spin called at any competition and it didn't work in the first one of this season, so we're looking at making the change ahead of our nationals. I'd like the extra points.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:47:52 PM »
Personally I'd do the scratch spin because you know you will get the points for it so you will look happier and be more relaxed about the whole program which in turn probably means more points overall.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
You have two spins, right?  Do the ones you do best and most consistently.  That means your upright (USp) and your change-foot upright (CUsp).  They count as two separate types of spins.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:51 AM »
I'm on IJS as well.  Since I have seen lots of people get no value for their spins, I am attempting CUSp and FUSp.  I am leaving out the combination because I will get no value for it and it will hurt PCS. 

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
One of my friends (a Silver Lady) spoke with a judge on her panel after Sectionals. This particular judge said that she prefers #of revs in a basic position over difficult variations or harder spins on the 6.0 system. Her reasoning was that it made the program look more smooth and effortless.

This is only one opinion from one judge so take it for what it's worth.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline holdontilmae

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
I asked my coach this same question! When we choreographed my Bronze freestyle test routine, we had a back scratch. Then, when I competed the routine, we changed it to a camel sit. I've never been able to complete the camel sit in competition. I get nervous and it just falls apart. But, she said I just need to get used to doing it in competition, and that's the only way I'll overcome my nerves about it. Plus, when I do get it, I'll get more points than if I just had the back spin. It makes perfect sense, but I still wish it was an easier spin  :sweat

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
Speaking purely as a spectator I would rather see a lower level element done very well than a higher level one that isn't.  But that may not be what gets you the points.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
I'm not sure how it works in 6.0 but in IJS you get zero points if the spin isn't executed properly.  So, if a sit spin isn't low enough - thigh parallel to the ice - zero points.  If a camel spin isn't in a t position long enough, zero points.  So I'd go with the scratch.