You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dealing with program music you hate  (Read 1934 times)

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
Dealing with program music you hate
« on: February 04, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
How do you deal with program music you hate?

I've had the same music for both Pre-Bronze and Bronze free skates. In other words, two years. I kept it for Bronze because it was easy to edit to the length and I really couldn't find anything else I wanted to skate to. I have always had a problem connecting to it and it's just gotten worse. I am actively starting to hate it now. It's good music, a good program, and there is actually nothing wrong with it except me. I have one more competition with it - in two months.

How am I supposed to last that long? Should I just give in and choose new music and hope for the best or should I carry on? Advice would be much appreciated.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Dealing with program music you hate
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
The point of this (otherwise completely pointless) activity is to enjoy yourself.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
I've been using the same music for three years. I've only actually competed with it once. I liked it when I picked it, but I've listened to it for so long that I just want to change it. My coach says "you've only used it once". Guess I'll keep it, but as soon as the ink is dry on the bronze FS test form, I'm changing it.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 02:37:18 AM »
I've been using the same music for three years. I've only actually competed with it once. I liked it when I picked it, but I've listened to it for so long that I just want to change it. My coach says "you've only used it once". Guess I'll keep it, but as soon as the ink is dry on the bronze FS test form, I'm changing it.
My coach snapped the CD when I got off the ice one test session.

Lunar - what's wrong with the music now?
I always keep program music two years and never get to the point of hating it. Have you been running the program too much? I always end up with a few months off program when I'm between competitions so I don't get it hating it.
I'm starting to hate my new one, but I've a competition in a month and the coach is insisting on running it every lesson. I just want to do something different!

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
Oh, it's all me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the music or the program.

I have this weird quirk that occasionally pops up in which I can start hating something if I hear it too often (there are still songs that I turn off on the radio just because I can't listen to them One. More. Time.). Add a lack of connection to the music. Finally, in the two years I've used it, my skating style has changed. What suited me then no longer suits me now. I feel like I'm chasing the music instead of performing to it.

It all adds up to a big 'do not want' whenever I think about it. I can still skate to it; I just don't want to.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
Given that you've got two months, if you really feel like the challenge, I'd go for it and just change the music.
My current music was selected in August. We were just starting choreography in September when I was injured and had to take time off skating. I wasn't jumping again until November and not really ready for choreography until Christmas. So I'll have had the program for two months by the time I compete. I'm feeling rushed. I would have preferred to have had longer and had a chance to do other stuff in my lessons (I've got other goals for this year other than competing), but I should be ready to compete in time. So I know it doesn't take long to put a program together when you put your mind to it.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:40:16 AM »
You could probably swap the music with minor changes to the choreography.  Sometimes I watch skating on youtube with sound off and some other music playing in the background and it actually all kind of fits :-)

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
I actually have wound up hating every piece of music I've used for skating.  Which is unfortunate.  It doesn't seem to matter for me if the coach picks it or if I do.  I don't tend to play my music much while practicing since I practice on publics.  I've rarely listened to them after the the performance is done so I'm not sure if this is a short term versus long term dislike. 

I'm curious/skeptical/sad about what might happen this spring.  Our music for the spring show is selected by the figure skating director.  The group number is "Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray and I'm doing a duet to "Money, Money, Money" from Mamma Mia.  Those are both songs I really like!  I listen to the Mamma Mia soundtrack for fun while I'm cleaning.  So-I'll see what happens! 

We get about 2 months to prep programs for shows.  I know that's different but I do think you could change the music now and be ready in 2 months.  My daughter was going to stay with her music from last season and changed in Dec. I think....she's doing a competition next weekend and it seems okay.... but I did say no to a new dress :)

Offline LunarSkater

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  :)

I gave my coach new music. She was perfectly understanding about it. As she said, "Sometimes you just need to change." (I have the sneaking suspicion she was tired of it, too.)