You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Boot sizing  (Read 3865 times)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Edea Boot sizing
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »
As I have posted before, I have a very hard time getting boots to fit my short and wide feet. As a matter of fact, I found out just how messed up they are, when my foot Dr. gave me a script, for not only orthotics, but for shoes as well!
I am on a tight budget, but need skates that fit right. I looked at some other brands, like Jackson, but I would have to have a pair that are heat moldable. The cheapest new Jacksons, that would work are around $350.00 or so and finding them used is not even close to easy; especially in my size.
I ended up getting another pair of Ice Fly's in super good shape, for a good price. My last pair of Ice Fly's were a tad small. My foot measures 9.5" (241MM) and the boots were a 240mm.
The ones I have now, are 245's, which are the correct size, BUT even after I heat reshaped them, they are still kind of tight. I am wondering if I should just resell the 245's and move up to 250's or just find a way to make the 245's work? Edea recommends going no higher than 5mm over your foot measurement for an adult, but would it really be that bad to go up to the 250's? I am sure I would be able to get them to fit okay. I am just worried about any problems it may cause?
Sorry about the long drawn out post, but this boot thing is driving me nuts! I can't realistically keep using my "Frankin Skates" (hockey boots with figure blades). They are a comfy skate, but lack the real control needed, as with an actual figure boot.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Edea Boot sizing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »
So you've had two pairs of Ice Flies - first 240, then 245? Have you taken the insoles out to see how your feet actually fit on them, especially with the width.
I know you say about the cost but it sort of sounds like Edeas / Ice Flies may not be the best boot for your feet? Have you actually tried other brands to see if they might work?

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
The 245's are the right size and I have heat reshaped them, for the width but I also didn't want to push it too far, in fear of damaging the boots.
I have tried other brands, but nothing seems to fit right. I had a pair of Jackson's and had them punched, but the punch didn't last long. I tried Riedell's as well and the same story. I was told at the skate shop that I would need a custom boot and it would be like a crap shoot, to keep getting used boots of different brands just to get the right fit.
Edea's were suggested because of the "instant custom fit". In my case, heat reshaping is required as well. From what I read on the Edea site, their boots can be reshaped from the standard C width, from an A to a triple E. Technically, Edaes need to be reshaped, at an authorized dealer, because they can not be just be oven heated. I do have the means to heat them safely though.
I was just thinking that maybe 250's may be a bit more accommodating.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
So lengthwise they're fine but too narrow? and you're hoping that the slightly longer boot will be slightly wider too? Are you using your orthotics or the Edea insoles? Have you tried others as they can make a big difference to the space available in the boot?

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
Yes I was hoping that the bigger size may be easier to widen and fit properly. I am using the Edae insoles. If I remove the insoles and have nothing in the boot, they aren't too bad of a fit but still a tad narrow. They are just a bit harder on the feet.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »
I got the Ice Flies and initially used their insole but the pain was intense so I changed to the yellow superfeet that I had seen mentioned on here. The pain was mainly in the soles of my feet but I did feel like I had more room in the boot too, as a result of how my foot was positioned. It may be worth trying as it's cheaper than buying new boots and superfeet have a money back guarantee if they don't work - I'd check with your store first as I found some weren't as accomodating as others, but my local store said they would take them back even after I had cut them to fit into the boot.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »
Thanks. I will look into that. :0) Are they expensive?

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »
It was a while ago but I think I paid $50, so not cheap but cheaper than buying another pair of skates if they work, and $0 if they don't  ;)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 12:50:17 AM »
You do know that Edeas come in more than one width fitting. So if the boot is too narrow for the foot you can buy a wider boot.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »
Yes, but I am trying to save money and go used. As I said, I am on a tight budget. :0/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
My understanding is that in Europe they offer standard width (C) and wide (E), however in North America they only offer one width which they mold to wider sizes.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
Okay. I think I have the width problem with my Ice fly's pretty much solved, but, I need to find a way to get more ankle support. Not sure if I can just cut a thick sock in half and just put it on around the ankle? Any edea's; uh I mean ideas? ;0)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
The U.S. is now importing the wider and narrower sizes, but they can take longer to come in. We ordered the D width and there was a noticeable difference.

As for the heel, you can heat with a hairdryer and squeeze them tighter. We did this at the top, just under the collar at the achilles tendon area and it worked really well to keep dd's heel from slipping and help lock her into the boot. Good luck!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »
Okay. I think I have the width problem with my Ice fly's pretty much solved, but, I need to find a way to get more ankle support. Not sure if I can just cut a thick sock in half and just put it on around the ankle? Any edea's; uh I mean ideas? ;0)

Are you saying you find the ankles a bit loose? If so have you tried bunga pads?

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »
Yes the ankles are loose. I will have to check out the bunga pads. Thanks. :0)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
I ended up making my own bunga's and they work pretty good. I am getting used to the Edea's fairly well now. Now maybe I have a pair of skates, that I will be able to stick with and progress. All of the changing around with different skates, just to get it right, has cost me progress in my skating.