You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choosing new freestyle blades for an adult skater  (Read 14311 times)

Offline JTSkater22

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Choosing new freestyle blades for an adult skater
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
Dear fellow skaters,

I hope you can give me some advice.
I would like to upgrade my Jackson Freestyle skates, that came with a Mark IV. blade.
I haven been hobby skating for quite a long time (19 years) and started figure skating lessons about 1 year ago.
I have landed all the single jumps including Lutz, working on Axel, I haven't started doubles yet.
Unfortunately my spins are not so great, though I am learning sit spins, camel spins, back spins, but I find it really hard to center my spins.
I hope that a better blade would help my spins a little, though I know I also have to work on my technique and posture a lot.

Also, an other factor, that I am quite tall (180 cms). (I kind of think that is why it is harder for me to keep my posture in the spins, I found jumps are a lot easier...) (I know with my height everything in figure skating is a little more difficult, but I just fell in love with figure skating, I usually skate at least 8-10 hours a week.)

So, the question is: is it too early to get a blade like John Wilson Coronation Ace, or MK Professional? Also, I am looking at JW Coronation Comet, JW Four Aces, Ultima Legacy, or Ultima Protege...

What would you recommend for my level? (I would like the blade to last for a while, keep the edge for a longer time, and maybe transfer it to a new boot, that I should buy in a year or two.)
I know it is not good to have too advanced blades but I feel that I would need bigger toepicks for the toe jumps and also a blade that is still a little forgiving on the spins.
Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Choosing new freestyle blades for an adult skater
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
I think you're right on track with the blades you are looking at, so don't worry about picking "too much" blade for your level - that is usually a comment saved for beginners looking at some of the advanced freestyle blades (Gold Seal, Phantom, Pattern 99, etc).

Coro Ace or Professional are good choices as well as the Ultima Legacy (which is essentially a clone of coro ace/professional).  If you want a blade that will last longer between sharpenings and probably last longer overall you could consider the Matrix Legacy, which upgrades the legacy blade to a stainless runner and lightweight aluminum frame, but it's only a little bit more than the coro ace or professional would run (in fact, on sale it's right at the same price really, like here - http://www.sharperedgeskates.com/malemx.html).

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
I would definitely recommend Ultima Matrix Legacy.  The blade is very similar to Coronation Ace (I did not feel much of a difference adjusting when I switched), but it holds sharpenings twice the time as Coronation Ace.   Legacy is a good all purpose blade and has a nice spin rocker as well. 

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
I agree with the recommendation of the Ultima Matrix Legacy.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
The Ultima Matrix Legacy is a phenomenal blade.   My favorite of the four I've had (Mirage, Gold Seal, Paramount mid-level)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
I upgraded from the Mark IV like you and I've had the Comet (very flat rocker), the Ace (a nice rocker) and now have the Legacy which is great for holding a sharpening and is comparable to the Ace.  I love this blade very much!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »
I've had Coronation Aces since I returned to skating after a gap of 25 years off. I love them!  ;D Most of my friends seem to switch to Cor Aces whenever they 1st need new boots after they start jumping!

Where are you? It may be the case of what you can buy easily, at a reasonable price, in your blade size!

I'm in the UK - MK and JW blades are very easy to get since they are based here (Cor ace = £95-100) but Ultima blades seem to be much rarer and may have to be ordered in - few places stock them (Matrix Legacy = £195 on the only UK website I saw them on and they only go up to a 10.5 inch blade).

I've never even seen a Matrix Legacy blade!

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
The Mark IV blade that is on those skates is very similar in profile to a Coronation Ace.  However the existing blade would be flatter due to sharpening so changing to Aces might feel like climbing up a hill as the rocker is very obvious.  Which also makes it a great blade for spinning so you might like it.   The Legacy is basically the competition to the Ace with a big difference and that is the toepick configuration and I think because you're jumping you want a very grabby pick.   Summary, go with the Legacy.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
The Mark IV blade that is on those skates is very similar in profile to a Coronation Ace.  However the existing blade would be flatter due to sharpening so changing to Aces might feel like climbing up a hill as the rocker is very obvious.  Which also makes it a great blade for spinning so you might like it.   The Legacy is basically the competition to the Ace with a big difference and that is the toepick configuration and I think because you're jumping you want a very grabby pick.   Summary, go with the Legacy.

What's different between the Ace and the Legacy toepicks? Both are crosscut - ?  I'm just curious ...

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
Yes, they are both crosscut. I have found the teeth of the Legacy to be a bit "sharper" and deeper than on the Aces...and the bottom tooth to be bigger.
Ace is on the left, Legacy on the right.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I find the legacy to have a killer toepick.  I haven't "toe-picked" over it (knock on wood), but I'm bad about letting it drag when I skate backwards.  It is very secure in jumps.  The cross cut toe pick of my Gold Seals would slide a lot. I thought I prefered straight cut but the Legacy doesn't have that problem.  

(Not saying I think the Legacy is a better blade than the Gold Seal, but it is a better blade for me. A huge portion of our freestyle skaters at our rink is wearing them, and then a number are wearing the more advanced ultima matrix blade...  It's pretty amazing how these have taken over our rink.)

Offline JTSkater22

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:23:35 AM »
Hi!
Thank you for all the replies. Now I am really thinking about getting the Ultima Legacy/Matrix Legacy, though, as I see there is quite a big price difference between these two... the second is almost twice as expensive. Does it really worth it? Or would just the regular Legacy be enough for now?
Is there any difference between the too regarding the toepick/rocker etc? I saw that the material of the Matrix Legacy is better...

I mean, it would be good, if my blades held the edges better, because it is not so easy to find a good sharpener in my region...
at least not for figure skates. But I could almost buy a second blade for the difference. :S

taka: Actually getting either of them won't be very easy. I live in Hungary, so either way probably I will have to order it. There are not so many proshops here at all, and one of them in Budapest recently closed down... Though I will see what can I get through my coach.

And I know it has nothing to do with the original question, but you other skaters might appreciate it:
Yesterday we were practicing Flips, and after a few minutes my coach told me:
OK, now try a double! I was so surprised, first didn't believe she was talking to me. :D I never tried a double before, at least not on the ice... :D
And it was such a great feeling! Of course I didn't do the 2 full revolution, maybe just 1,5 and then stepped out...but still, even trying it was great!

So know, I am even more excited about getting a decent blade soon!

So, thank you again for the comments so far, and I am still open for further suggestions!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 07:35:05 AM »
It may not be that much of a difference in price between them for you. That price was from the only shop (out of 10+) I had in my bookmarks that even had them listed so it may be higher than normal, I have no idea!

Well done on the jumping and good luck getting new blades!

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »
I went with the Matrix Legacy blade because I was also factoring in the number of sharpenings...they don't need to be sharpened as often as the regular blade. Whenever I need to get my blade sharpened, I have to drive 1.5 hours each way, plus it's $20. So, if I sharpen a lot, it costs me more in mileage, gas, tolls, inconvenience (i.e. my time), and fees.

If sharpening is a factor, you might want to consider that aspect as well.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
I think the Matrix is worth the upgrade in price. I also have to drive for a sharpening, and they aren't cheap.  I can go 16-24 weeks without a sharpening now. All my previous blades have been at 8 weeks.

I also like the lightweight of the blades, and to be honest- I love having colored blades.

Otherwise, I think the actual shape of the two blades is meant to be the exact same.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Jackson linked this thread on Facebook a few days ago?  Kind of nice to see that "someone" out there with the company sees these sorts of threads (though secretly I wish they would post, and not just lurk!) :)

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Jackson linked this thread on Facebook a few days ago?  Kind of nice to see that "someone" out there with the company sees these sorts of threads (though secretly I wish they would post, and not just lurk!) :)
bwah-ha-ha! there's my picture!!! lol! It's funny because it's on MY facebook page (one way to "link" it so it will post)...and one of my friends commented that the toepicks look like a torture device. I replied that on some days, they are!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »
bwah-ha-ha! there's my picture!!! lol! It's funny because it's on MY facebook page (one way to "link" it so it will post)...and one of my friends commented that the toepicks look like a torture device. I replied that on some days, they are!

Hi Jacksons! I love your boots! I'm in  my third pair!  :gh
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skate@Delaware

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
The proshop I went to tried to sell me Edeas, and although they looked interesting, I'm sold on Jacksons (they fit me and I like them a lot). My minor bumps I can get punched out no problem and they put up with my abuse lol.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

No, I didn't realize that.  I also didn't see there was a spike in online viewers yesterday - 91 people checked out the board.   Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sure they linked it because a few people said they like the Ultima options, but they're not the only choices. (Just being fair) 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Bostyn

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 16
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
Does anyone else here have an opinion on ISE Shadow blades? My coach convinced me to get them after having a hard time in coronation aces. She deals with Jerry, so I think she got a good price originally on her own blades and wanted to give them a shot. I got through a 2flip on my aces without much of a problem, but it was spinning that held me back. For the life of me, no matter what I tried, I could only center about 2 out of 5 spins. It was really getting frustrating after all this time that I've been skating. Since switching to the Shadows, my spins have gone from ridiculous to awesome, no joke. I'm not completely sure what the difference is with these blades compared to other more known blades, but they've worked wonders for me. The pick on the Shadow is great, quite large and raked, fine with the doubles that I had before I stopped skating this last time. They are much lighter also, because they have pieces laser cut out of the runner. I think they have a 7ft rocker as well, as opposed to a more traditional 8ft. Might be worth it to you to check them out, they aren't expensive either.

http://www.jerryskate.com/product/324.aspx

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »
I used to be in ISE Sterling. The first couple of pairs I had were wonderful. The second pair for my new boots which needed a longer blade had a slightly different rocker and were too flat around the spin rocker.
I eventually switched from those to Ultima Legacy and they work a lot better.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »
Fsk8er, you are in the UK, no? Who was the supplier for the Ultimas? I am having trouble finding one.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
www.puckstop.com is the only one I've come across in the UK that had details of the Ultima blades on their website. (I think it is the rink shop at Sheffield?) I've never ordered from them them so I don't know what they are like.

If it is the Ultima Legacy blades (not the matrix version) you want, Can-Am sports www.can-am.co.uk has them listed but that is the only Ultima blades they list online. The staff are very helpful in the shop so it may be worth a call to see if they can get other ones in too?

If somewhere closer to you sells Jackson skates then they may be willing to order Ultima blades in for you... Worth a try maybe?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
I bought from Everglides. If you do a google search for the UK you'll find multiple places which stock them.
Basically anyone who sells Jacksons will be able to obtain Ultima blades (even if they don't normally) as they are owned by the same company.
I find that Everglides normally is very competitive and service is good. Even if you're mail ordering the blades from him, he'll sharpen them before posting so they're ready to go.
If you're doing a day trip from the London area, I carry on past the shop to Portsmouth and go shopping for the day (or else sightseeing is another option).

I don't know if SkateAttack in Southgate stocks them, but I suspect they might if you're looking for somewhere in London.