You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boot rant - normal breakdown or underbooted?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
Boot rant - normal breakdown or underbooted?
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:08:35 AM »
Last year I was sold a pair of Riedell 1310 LS boots, and was more or less assured by the skate shop that they had sufficient support to see me through FS5.  Well here I am, in FS4, and I figured out after several really bad/hard/out-of-character falls that the dang things had broken down in the ankle, UNDER a pretty white outer coating (rubber? I dunno) that concealed the extent of the breakdown.  It's unmistakable... I can bend the sides of the boots in or out at the ankle with one hand.  I don't think the pre-punched ankle bone area helped but I'm wondering whether it just wasn't enough skate to start with for an adult.  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Is it the brand?  Is it that the "Lightweight Series" really isn't meant for taller/heavier people?  Granted I'm asking for some speculation here, but it's frustrating to have spent nearly $500 on a pair of boots that I only got a year out of when other adults in SP Teris and Harlicks and Klingbeils all have bragging rights to 5+ years in the same pair... GRR!   >:(

I'm thanking my lucky stars I overbooted myself in ignorance when I first took up skating and spotted a deal online.  I dug my old Riedell 900's out the closet, added blades, and presto!  I can jump and spin like I haven't in months, and my edges and turns are again confident and not scary.  I'm sure these boots are still overkill for my level, but I'd rather have too much support than too little.  I can't afford new boots, nor any more injuries!   :blush:

Thanks for listening... end rant.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Boot rant - normal breakdown or underbooted?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:41:23 AM »
Last year I was sold a pair of Riedell 1310 LS boots, and was more or less assured by the skate shop that they had sufficient support to see me through FS5.

I think really what this means is that the boots, when new, were suitable for up to FS5, not that they would necessarily last you until you were at that level - skaters progress at different paces and since no one has a crystal ball, it's really impossible for a fitter to say specifically "these boots will last until _____" - all they can really do is give you a general idea of what level a boot is suitable for, but even that can vary from skater to skater. 

I do think the lighter weight boots break down faster - but that said, how long boots last really depends on the skater and how hard they are on them.  I've broken down boots in months that "should" have lasted me much longer.  I need a stiffer boot than my skating level would suggest - but I know that now, so I can compensate.  I didn't know that as a beginner though... it took me several pairs of skates (and it was only at the recommendation of my coach, not the fitter, who got me into the right level boots).

Being overbooted as a beginner is not good, but if you find yourself able to do everything you want to do in the 900's, they might be just fine for you now - many adults need stiffer boots than younger skaters. 

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »
It really depends on the skater and their stats like weight, how hard they jump, etc.  I need a pretty firm boot for the support and security feeling.  I've seen younger skaters that need a really stiff boot because the way they skate is so hard on boots.  I knew a girl that broke down a pair of KT2 SPTeri in 3 months just by doing 2S, 2L and 2T.  I know a lady dealing with the weight issue in her Jacksons.  She can't seem to adjust to how light weight they are and can't seem to jump in them.  Seems like to me that it's a lot of trial and error to find the perfect boot.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
I had problems with my Riedells and now have switched to Jacksons.  My problem is that my foot is between a average and a wide in Reidells.  I was professionally fitted in a wide.  After 13 months, the holes where the laces are started ripping out.  This was from the skates being too wide and constantly retying to get the right fit.  I've had my Jacksons since Feb and have loved them since day 1.    My DD has the same Riedell boot and it works great for. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
I know a lady dealing with the weight issue in her Jacksons.  She can't seem to adjust to how light weight they are and can't seem to jump in them.

You know, it's funny, I didn't feel this way with my Elite Plus boots, but with my Premiere's (which I haven't skated in yet) I immediately noticed that they were MUCH lighter - lighter than I would have expected for only being two "levels" down from what I have.