You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell Skates  (Read 4188 times)

Offline cameocooper

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Riedell Skates
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:23:24 AM »
I may have to purchase some new skates, I am currently in Idea Chorus, but if I got new skates I would return to Riedell. I have narrowed this down to the Motion or Bronze Star. Just not sure if the Bronze Stars are worthy the extra at my level and feel I could get away with the Motion, with being a light skater.

I currently have most of my single jumps, am about 105 pounds, and every pair of skates I have had Riedell & Edea have lasted well, and only started breaking down, after several years.

Does anyone have any opinions on these models, there is no pro shop, that sell decent skates near me.

Offline Seren

• Rink Rat
Re: Riedell Skates
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:01:09 AM »
I currently wear Bronze Stars. They have lasted me 2 solid years and are now on what I consider "duck tape hospice" (I have to tape them before skating in them- trying to get them to last a little longer before getting new skates). While I will not be getting Riedells again due to them just not fitting my feet as well anymore I have been happy with how they've held up. I am 5'6, 125 lbs and skate 3-5 times per week- have all singles and working hard on my under rotated axel.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:26:41 AM »
From the Risport website, it sounds like they are pretty similar.  The Motion has a reinforced top eyelet.  I recommend those, because without the metal reinforcement it is possible to tear out the top eyelet. 

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
One thing about ordering Riedell skates - they have the directions for fitting on the website: https://ice.riedellskates.com/downloads
They were a good help for me when I had to figure out my size for my boots (ended up going custom). Do not measure yourself. Your measurements will be completely off and you might end up in the wrong size. Have someone assist you. You mentioned you don't have a decent pro shop, so this step is vitally important.

As for boot recommendations, I'm about your weight and jump level. However, I'm a heavy skater and ended up going with Silver Stars after being recommended both the Motion or the Bronze Star by two different shops. They were the level of support I needed. I would recommend looking at how much you skate every week, how long it takes you to learn elements, how long it takes you to break down boots, etc. And talk to your coach. S/he will have some idea of what to look for at your level.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
I had Bronze Stars that lasted 8 years and still had about 1 more year left in them.  They're very good boots as long as they fit your foot properly.  I replaced them with another pair of Bronze Stars and so far, so good.  I hope to get the same number of years out of these, too.

Offline Nikita

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 05:44:23 AM »
I may have to purchase some new skates, I am currently in Idea Chorus, but if I got new skates I would return to Riedell. I have narrowed this down to the Motion or Bronze Star.

Hi! May I ask why you would return to Riedell’s? I was thinking of getting the Edea Chorus as a (petite) adult beginner skater, but still looking into them :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
I was just talking to someone last night who had Edea boots that were too narrow.  They're thinking of changing to Risports, on the advice of their fitter.  He says that the two companies used to be one and the same until Risport was sold off.  The fit of the Risports are better for skaters that like Edeas, but have width issues.  I don't know anything more than that, but I do know that very few pro shops stock Risports, but they can order them.  If you want to see a pair, you have to find someone with those skates, check consignment sales or go to a trade show.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Slowpoke

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
I have the Motion 225s and they are holding up very well, and are very comfortable.  I weigh about 175 and skate almost every day.