You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What would you say?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
What would you say?
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »
I had a nice chat earlier this week with the mom of a little skating boy who just started taking group lessons.  The woman was very nice and pleasant to speak with, we had some nice chats while I was constantly fussing with my new skates on the bench.  Her son was a cutie.

She asked a lot of questions about equipment and skating, injuries and fear.  She more or less said that she'd like to try skating, but is afraid of getting hurt.  I gave her some tips, such as: ask for the newer softskate-style rental skates, wear a helmet and wristguards, ski pants turn falls into less-painful slides.  She was definitely thinking about it; maybe I'll see her give it a whirl next week.

What would you have said if you were talking to an adult over 40 who expressed interest in starting?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: What would you say?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
I would have told her to just try it.  Lace skates up tightly, wear gloves and go around.

I find the evening session to be easier as an adult who hardly ever skates and can't stop without gliding to the boards.  Most of the little kids are gone so I don't have to worry about running them over...or seeing them.  It's mostly teens who skate a little better than me and hockey guys who avoid tottering old people like me.  When she takes her ds tell her to go for it if it's a quiet session.

If she has roller blade/skate experience it will be a snap.

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
Tell her to try adult lessons. I am finishing adult 1 next week! I am a 48 year old woman who has never played any sport. I always loved watching skating but being the coldest natured as well as clumiest person in the world I never tried. My DD takes both private and group lessons and I usually just talked to other moms or read to pass the time. I saw another mom skating with her DD and she got me thinking about it. I am always watching my weight and thought this would be great exercise. I over came my fears and enrolled in a class. I mayy not be the most graceful skater but at leas i gave it a try!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Skate the adult number in your rink's ice show if there is one, it's a lot of fun!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

What would you have said if you were talking to an adult over 40 who expressed interest in starting?

I would say "I didn't start until I was 55. Join an adult learn to skate program, and practice."
Then: Then how to select wrist guards, kneepads, and elbow pads, what to know how to pick out a helmet. "I can tell you how to buy a good beginner skate too." Plus the name and address of a good fitter.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
First I would tell her now is a great time to start and see if there are adult classes. I would also suggest the tight best rentals she can find, pads, etc and give it a whirl. She might be surprised how well she might do at first.

Offline Teresa

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
Have fun! =-)
Dress warm, gloves are a must.
Everyone falls.
Learning the sport takes time, be paitent. Take a learn to skate class or two or...
Rental skates are nasty, if you love skating, buy your own.
Make friends.
Have fun!

Teresa

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
my first response to moms like that is, "it is never too late to try", then follow on with advise on safe ways to start skating, plus how they can start lessons at my rink.