You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stars on Ice  (Read 4134 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
Stars on Ice
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:34 AM »
Stars on Ice is touring now around the country. Make sure you get good seats. I once saw Stars on Ice at the Nassau Colesium. The seats were so high ($69), I had to use binoculars to see anyone. I didn't enjoy it. It was like watching ants.

John :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Stars on Ice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »
They don't come *anywhere* near me :( The closest event they have is a 10 hr drive. It's too bad because I really want to see Meryl and Charlie skate live before they retire.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Stars on Ice
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
It's too bad because I really want to see Meryl and Charlie skate live before they retire.

Amen to that.  If it makes you feel better the arena is 10 mins away from me and I can't go either. :( 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
Stars on Ice is touring now around the country. Make sure you get good seats. I once saw Stars on Ice at the Nassau Colesium. The seats were so high ($69), I had to use binoculars to see anyone. I didn't enjoy it. It was like watching ants.

John :)
The times I went I was close to the ice or at the edge of the ice. Amazing to have the performers fly past you with a speed they make look so easy.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
I really want to take my girls, but $99 a seat even for the 200 section at the coliseum is killing me. The higher seats are more reasonable but I'm afraid we won't see anything. :(

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
I noticed something about kids being half-price at least in my area.

The ticket prices are really really crazy.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
The ticket prices are really really crazy.
They may price themselves into low attendance. Poor attendance seems to have a negative affect on the performers from what I have seen in the past.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
Last night at Germain Arena, the local skating club was able to offer two levels of tickets, cheapest at $15, both at very reduced prices.  I am not sure why, perhaps because the Arena, pro hockey team, and skating club are closely intertwined.

It was a fabulous show, and both Jason Brown and Ashley Wagner came over to spend time with the club before the show.  The club was able to watch the skaters do warmups about 2 hours before the show.  It was a great learning experience, with many coaches, kids, and parents watching.   The level of jumping, backspins, and footwork was awesome to see.  This morning (day after the show) on the group Freestyle classes (dance, power, spins & jumps, and synchro), the girls were excited.  Moms commented to me that they had absolutely no problem getting their kids up this morning for skating.  Skating can get monotonous, and this show is a sure shot in the arm.

I'd have to say that Jason & Ashley stole the show last night.  Ashley did a program to an Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams, song.  It had to be 3 to 5 minutes long, super fast, and she tore it up.  I kept thinking, I'd be totally out of breath.  Energizer bunny's twin.   Her other song , Young and Beautiful" was very passionate.   

Jason Brown is an incredible athlete & showman, and a gumby.  His routine to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" brought down the house. 

Paulina is an awesome skater.  When she is on the ice, even in warm-ups, you can't stop watching her.  She is quiet like a stealth bomber and lands like a cat.  Girl does NOT scratch her toepicks. She did Uptown Girl and looked like a dead ringer to Christy Brinkley.   She is a little actress, and this is going to blossom as she grows older.

Gracie Gold is very tiny, and had the best dress of the night.  A blue dress with a zillion crystals on it.  Jeromy Abbott is an awesome, awesome jumper. and performer.  He's quiet, like Boitano, but has footwork like Eldredge.  He did "The Fear" by Ben Howard, and that song just suited him to a T.   Mariai Nagasu is an absolute dreamy skater to see.  She has the most flow on the ice.  She did the theme to "On Golden Pond' and it was as beautiful as the opening scene with the loon birds swimming on the lake.   As a skater and fan of that movie, I really loved that performance.  But, her "Demons" performance was also beautiful and probably will appeal more to general audiences.  Alissa Czisny was also awesome, again, you can tell that she has more experience under her belt.  The girls were all in love with Josh Farris and Ryan Bradley, who were great.  Kim Navarro is a beautiful ice dance, with so much extension, it's an envy!  Their dance program to "How do you like me now?" was a beautiful, angry dual.  And, of course, Meryl and Charle were there too.  Their dance lifts and power.  But, they did "show dance", and I wish one of the pairs would have done a traditional dance pattern.   But, other than us club members who took dance, the rest of the audience wanted the lifts and spins.

So, I have my copy-cat moves that I am going to "attempt" to learn.  First, is Jason Brown's side leaning sit spin.  Second, is (I think, Josh Farris) twizzles into a running three turn and into a fast back scratch spin.  (I think I better stock up on gel pads).

It was very enjoyable, and I think a benefit to every skating club.  If it's anywhere near you, go.  If not, rent a bus and have the whole club go.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
I'm going next Saturday!!!! I'm so excited as I've never been before :) the only way I was even able to go was because the rink I teach at and am currently the LTS director of bought us tickets, and I think they're close to front row!!! :D I almost fainted when I was told that I could go!!!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »
Last night at Germain Arena, the local skating club was able to offer two levels of tickets, cheapest at $15, both at very reduced prices.  I am not sure why, perhaps because the Arena, pro hockey team, and skating club are closely intertwined.

It was a fabulous show, and both Jason Brown and Ashley Wagner came over to spend time with the club before the show.  The club was able to watch the skaters do warmups about 2 hours before the show.  It was a great learning experience, with many coaches, kids, and parents watching.   The level of jumping, backspins, and footwork was awesome to see.  This morning (day after the show) on the group Freestyle classes (dance, power, spins & jumps, and synchro), the girls were excited.  Moms commented to me that they had absolutely no problem getting their kids up this morning for skating.  Skating can get monotonous, and this show is a sure shot in the arm.

I'd have to say that Jason & Ashley stole the show last night.  Ashley did a program to an Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams, song.  It had to be 3 to 5 minutes long, super fast, and she tore it up.  I kept thinking, I'd be totally out of breath.  Energizer bunny's twin.   Her other song , Young and Beautiful" was very passionate.   

Jason Brown is an incredible athlete & showman, and a gumby.  His routine to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" brought down the house. 

Paulina is an awesome skater.  When she is on the ice, even in warm-ups, you can't stop watching her.  She is quiet like a stealth bomber and lands like a cat.  Girl does NOT scratch her toepicks. She did Uptown Girl and looked like a dead ringer to Christy Brinkley.   She is a little actress, and this is going to blossom as she grows older.

Gracie Gold is very tiny, and had the best dress of the night.  A blue dress with a zillion crystals on it.  Jeromy Abbott is an awesome, awesome jumper. and performer.  He's quiet, like Boitano, but has footwork like Eldredge.  He did "The Fear" by Ben Howard, and that song just suited him to a T.   Mariai Nagasu is an absolute dreamy skater to see.  She has the most flow on the ice.  She did the theme to "On Golden Pond' and it was as beautiful as the opening scene with the loon birds swimming on the lake.   As a skater and fan of that movie, I really loved that performance.  But, her "Demons" performance was also beautiful and probably will appeal more to general audiences.  Alissa Czisny was also awesome, again, you can tell that she has more experience under her belt.  The girls were all in love with Josh Farris and Ryan Bradley, who were great.  Kim Navarro is a beautiful ice dance, with so much extension, it's an envy!  Their dance program to "How do you like me now?" was a beautiful, angry dual.  And, of course, Meryl and Charle were there too.  Their dance lifts and power.  But, they did "show dance", and I wish one of the pairs would have done a traditional dance pattern.   But, other than us club members who took dance, the rest of the audience wanted the lifts and spins.

So, I have my copy-cat moves that I am going to "attempt" to learn.  First, is Jason Brown's side leaning sit spin.  Second, is (I think, Josh Farris) twizzles into a running three turn and into a fast back scratch spin.  (I think I better stock up on gel pads).

It was very enjoyable, and I think a benefit to every skating club.  If it's anywhere near you, go.  If not, rent a bus and have the whole club go.

OK, you convinced me. :) And I discovered I could get a 25% discount through my AAA membership. I didn't go for the closest of the close seats, because that was still $300+ after the discount, but we are in the 2nd row of the 200s on the end, which is about where we were for Disney on Ice and my kids nearly peed themselves with excitement over that. Only a week away!