You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Involvement of significant other/family in figure skating  (Read 5482 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Involvement of significant other/family in figure skating
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
I am ashamed to admit the first time I participated in rink show, I was so excited that I bought tickets and invited friends over... Big mistake, as my waltz jump barely left the ice and a friend expressed disappointment about the show in general.

I regretted this so much that when it came to my first solo, I did not invite anyone outside of my skating friends.

Offline chowskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
My mom has seen me skate... twice. My dad, maybe once!

My DH is my biggest fan... make that "was" since I think DD is beating him to that.  He would come with me to competitions - not all, but I dare say 80%, *even* those that involved more than 12 hours' flight. He would be my videographer & photographer, even taking videos of me at competition practise ice (so I can watch it before my event). He would babysit DD when I skate and coach.

Unfortunately, the farthest I got in getting him to skate was taking a course of summer lessons, after which he decided he was better off watching.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
I am ashamed to admit the first time I participated in rink show, I was so excited that I bought tickets and invited friends over... Big mistake, as my waltz jump barely left the ice and a friend expressed disappointment about the show in general.

I regretted this so much that when it came to my first solo, I did not invite anyone outside of my skating friends.
That's nothing to be ashamed of! Figure skating is such a big thing for us that you'd naturally want to share!

My DH is my biggest fan... make that "was" since I think DD is beating him to that.  He would come with me to competitions - not all, but I dare say 80%, *even* those that involved more than 12 hours' flight. He would be my videographer & photographer, even taking videos of me at competition practise ice (so I can watch it before my event). He would babysit DD when I skate and coach.
Wow he is a really big fan! So nice of him :)
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
When we were dating, my husband would come to the rink and watch me skate for hours.  He sat outside in the cold, inside in the cold, drove hours to sit in the cold.  He decided to try it and got to the point where he could balance on one foot and he was happy with that.  He pulls out his Jackson Marquis skates once a year and goes around the rink at break-neck speed with no control at all.  Just gliding to a stop - he can't do a snowplow stop because of his knees and doesn't have the balance for a t-stop, lol.

He came to most of my competitions but not test sessions.  I prefer privacy for those.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
When I skate in a show, my friends are usually in the group number with me!

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/