You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How did you decide which brand of boots to get?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline MCsAngel2

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 3
How did you decide which brand of boots to get?
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
Or, after your first pair, how did you choose the next brand to try? Seems like anything might be a crap shoot. I have Jacksons, because I'm starting out and my fitter is a certified Jackson rep (and they have a extensive line of lower level boots). But after reading more about skaters with custom boots from Harlick, or SpTeri, or Avanta, I find myself wondering what those would be like, but it's a lot of money to shell out just to try something out because you're intrigued.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: How did you decide which brand of boots to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
My fitter carries just about any brand one can name.  After measuring my feet he suggested Jacksons.  My feet agree.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
Not taking any risks, I chose the brand that I had already used and liked. Aversion to risk can work two ways, of course.

I had average feet, so felt that an average boot would work just fine.

Beside customs, there are all sorts of options just within the standard offerings of the major manufacturers. It can get overwhelming. Then add all sorts of blades into the mix, and you have an explosion of choices.
Bill Schneider

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
My fitter looked at my feet and ruled out some brands (Jackson, Edea) immediately based on my foot shape.  Turns out I have really good Riedell feet.  He also said Harlick would work but since I already had Riedells and had no issues with them, he said I should save my money and stick with Riedell.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:19:36 AM »
Figuring out which brand and model of boots is best for your feet is one of the big reasons people travel long distances to the best (most highly recommended) boot fitter they can find.

Alas, many people end up with whatever their so-so fitter has in stock, and their so-so fitter often messes up the fit. So ask around. Boots are a moderately expensive investment, that affects you a lot, so many people think a little extra travel is worth it.

If you aren't able to travel to a real expert, it's a lot harder. I guess if you can find a really good mail order place that carries multiple brands, you could send them foot tracings and pictures of your feet, and maybe they can help you guess.

Good luck.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
I was very lucky. I had an excellent skate tech and a couple of good coaches with pocketsful of 'fixes' . Plus, I regard skates as 'equipment' and I was willing to experiment with adjustments. After 2 pair of skates, I knew exactly what was wrong with my feet, and what I wanted and  my tech and I worked through everything and he recommended Harlicks. I do suggest going to the skate fitter for the brand of skates you pick, not your skate tech to get a fitting

Even though I'm happy with my custom skates, I still continue to make 'fixes' as my feet change.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:14:02 AM »
Trial and error. The best start, as all have suggested, is by going to a (or several) fitters and putting your foot in the skate. I ruled out grafs and edeas in about 30 seconds that way. Didn't even need to tie the grafs!

Offline Sibelius

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
Trial and error. The best start, as all have suggested, is by going to a (or several) fitters and putting your foot in the skate. I ruled out grafs and edeas in about 30 seconds that way. Didn't even need to tie the grafs!

My skater lasted 10 seconds in a Riedell, didn't get to tying them either.  Her face looked like she'd just sucked on a lemon.  She's been a perfect fit Jackson girl since the start.  We had been considering Sp-Teri (where she gets fit for her Jacksons now) but since they've sold their mfg. capacity and are moving it to Tennessee from South San Francisco, 45 minutes from us, we'll stick to Jacksons.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 05:45:17 PM »
  We had been considering Sp-Teri (where she gets fit for her Jacksons now) but since they've sold their mfg. capacity and are moving it to Tennessee

Thanks for the timely tip!