You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coronation Ace vs. Revolutions (John Wilson)  (Read 3462 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Coronation Ace vs. Revolutions (John Wilson)
« on: June 19, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Anyone had both the John Wilson Coronation Ace and the Revolution version?  Any difference noticed between the two?  Sharpening times, on ice differences?  Did the revs peel or get funky in any way?  Was there less time between sharpenings on your revs?  Did you notice more cushioning with them?  Anything else you noticed, liked or disliked?

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
Re: Coronation Ace vs. Revolutions (John Wilson)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
Bumping up.  Anyone?   88)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »
Not me. Sorry!
Bill Schneider

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:05:09 AM »
I haven’t, but as I have heard the main difference is that they are lighter weight, while the bit of increased flex also offers a subtle bit more spring and cushion.  I don’t mind boot/blade weight at all, and frankly don’t like the appearance as much as the classic style.  I’m definitely interested in hearing your feedback if you do choose to experience the switch though!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
I will most likely get the standard but if I get the revs will update.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »
A friend of mine has skated with both the standard and the Rev P99.  Two negs she's noted with the Rev P99 probably also apply to the Rev CA, since they concern the carbon-fiber mounts (from the photos shown on the Wilson website, the mounts are similar, though not identical).  The heel mount makes it difficult to do catch maneuvers in which you need to grab the back of the blade.  The mounts also trap water and slush; they're a pain to dry thoroughly (I've watched her do it many times, and listened to her grumble).

Wilson is tight-lipped about many technical details.  I once emailed them about the types and grades of steel used in various models of their blades.  It took several attempts and a long time; eventually, the only answer I got was along the lines of "all our blades are made of the highest quality carbon steel".  I have nothing definitive, but I don't think the Rev would have a higher grade of steel than the standard; therefore, edge life should be the same.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »
A friend of mine has skated with both the standard and the Rev P99.  Two negs she's noted with the Rev P99 probably also apply to the Rev CA, since they concern the carbon-fiber mounts (from the photos shown on the Wilson website, the mounts are similar, though not identical).  The heel mount makes it difficult to do catch maneuvers in which you need to grab the back of the blade.  The mounts also trap water and slush; they're a pain to dry thoroughly (I've watched her do it many times, and listened to her grumble).

Great points, thank you!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
Thank you.  I e-mailed them too.  They said it wasn't true that it needed sharpening more often and the rest about what you said to yeah, not the hugest help.

My coach said the same about the grab, for hair cutter spins, as if I'll ever do those!  LOL  But I think I'll stick with the standards.

Wilson is tight-lipped about many technical details.  I once emailed them about the types and grades of steel used in various models of their blades.  It took several attempts and a long time; eventually, the only answer I got was along the lines of "all our blades are made of the highest quality carbon steel".  I have nothing definitive, but I don't think the Rev would have a higher grade of steel than the standard; therefore, edge life should be the same.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »
They are supposed to be much lighter than other MK and Wilson blades, but I do not know how the compare in weight to top end Jackson Ultima Matrix blades, or to Paramount brand blades.

People here have said that the Revolution blades have a bit more flex, which makes jump landings less stressful.

E.g., http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg90022#msg90022
  and http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6061.msg69947#msg69947

You can find a lot of threads on this forum relating to them by searching for "revolution blades" - the search box is in the upper right hand corner of the window.

MK/Wilson once indicated there would be titanium in the revolution blades - I don't know whether they are implying it is a titanium/steel alloy, or whether it is just a coating. Or whether that is out of date info.

They are also more expensive.

I don't know anything about their durability. Some composites grow brittle with age and use, so MAYBE they do too.

Sorry, that is all I know. I've never used them.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »
MK/Wilson once indicated there would be titanium in the revolution blades - I don't know whether they are implying it is a titanium/steel alloy, or whether it is just a coating. Or whether that is out of date info.
There have been various unsubstantiated posts, on this and at least one other forum, that the Revolution blades are made of some special metal (at least one said titanium alloy, at least one said stainless steel).  I emailed Wilson specifically to resolve this issue; their reply was that all of their blades are made of the highest quality carbon steel.  Which at least is consistent with problems with rust that my friend had on her Rev P99 (as I previously mentioned, they are hard to dry thoroughly).

My email was prior to introduction of Rev CA.  But if they don't use some exotic alloy for high-end Rev GS and Rev P99, there's no reason they would for intermediate Rev CA.   Also, if Wilson were to use some special alloy, I would think their marketing guys would shout it out (even if specific details were kept secret); but they don't.  Compare Paramount's marketing material.